Arizona State wishes it had D1 hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arizona State wishes it had D1 hockey

Without knowing the arena situation, there's probably enough reason to think that a fair few of the Pac-12 teams could sustain a hockey program. It's just a question of Title IX (and probably arena).
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Without knowing the arena situation, there's probably enough reason to think that a fair few of the Pac-12 teams could sustain a hockey program. It's just a question of Title IX (and probably arena).
      Arizona- Like I said before, they're a club team averaging around 2000 and charge up to $18 for tickets with season ticket plans going for $240, for a club team.
      ASU- Well, it sounds like they have some support.
      Stanford- Has the money, the Sharks fanbase could attach to them, and they're already set out for collegiate athletic domination with their 20th straight Directors Cup title.
      Oregon- Nike
      Colorado- Might as well. Denver, AF, and CC all have teams in the state.

The one I know that would be out for sure is Cal. Their AD is in shambles.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Come on ... really?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          Come on ... really?
          Would it really be summer here if we didn't speculate about new programs?
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Only if we had two or three threads about the college hockey video game.

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
              ASU charges for their club games. I refused to pay the $5-10 to watch an ASU club team play when for the same price I can at least watch an AHA team play.
              Find a AHA team that has six former USHL players on there roster like ASU does. ASU would have no trouble competing with most AHA schools.
              Originally posted by dicaslover
              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                You have a point .

Comment

ATTENTION USCHO FORUM MEMBERS -- I INTERRUPT THIS THREAD FOR AN IMPORTANT ANNOUCEMENT:

ARIZONA STATE IS NOT ADDING HOCKEY

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming:
                  BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Six currently, plus more in the pipeline.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/roster/ri...key/2014-2015/

While I'm not going to argue they couldn't grab a handful of wins, don't act like ASU doesn't recruit these kids. I was friends with several people involved with the program and to get a spot on any of their club Division teams (1,2, 3) is competitive.

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    Find a AHA team that has six former USHL players on there roster like ASU does. ASU would have no trouble competing with most AHA schools.
                    Last edited by lmg6841; 07-18-2014, 01:13 PM.
                    RIT Tigers

Comment

As a local ASU guy, I'm excited about the possibilities. It's certainly a long ways from happening, but ASU has some things they are putting in place to give the athletic department additional funding over the long haul. They are developing a sizable chunk of land along Tempe's Town Lake, with several good sized office buildings under construction and plans for more of that, plus restaurants, etc. That's all on ASU land and funds from that would go to the athletic department. Short term those funds will help remodel Sun Devil Stadium, but long term those funds will undoubtedly go to other purpopes.

Ray Anderson seems to be making a lot of good moves since coming to ASU and I could see him pulling this off if certain things fall into place.

Attendance numbers can be deceiving, as they play at Oceanside Arena. I've gone to their games before there, and there are not a lot of seats there, so until they play somewhere else, it's hard to gauge whether a bigger arena would lead to more attendance.

The right setup here in Phoenix can work, as the old Phoenix Roadrunners minor league teams at times drew quite well, but their arena was centrally located, unlike the Coyotes, who are in the far northwest part of the valley, which really cuts down on their drawing folks from a large chunk of the east side of the Phoenix metro area.

Interesting comment from someone who said that Wells Fargo arena, where ASU basketball plays, could possibly be retrofitted for hockey. If so, that's probably a lot cheaper than building a whole new hockey arena from scratch.
                      Last edited by Bob Gray; 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM.
                      Originally posted by Priceless
                      Good to see you're so reasonable.
                      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                      Very well, said.
                      Originally posted by Rover
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Ray Anderson, AD of Arizona State is still talking about D1 ice hockey. Sounds like the interest is quite high. Obviously it's all talk until the money is there, but the enthusiasm is refreshing.

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2014/9/...-anderson-ncaa

Friday night the Sun Devils opened the season with Anderson in attendance. He spoke to the team, and made clear that his desire has not slowed down.

"He told them he's trying very hard to elevate the program to what he calls varsity status," said team general manager Ken Lind, who was in the locker room when Anderson addressed the team. "He'll do the best he can to make sure that everything starts to match up, and at some point, if we keep performing and raise the appropriate amount of capital, this program could become a varsity sport."

"We are trying to put together the support. We will certainly do the work we need to do with the NCAA," Anderson told the site. "It's aspirational but we have to make sure to go out and get the funding for it. We think we have some possibilities to take this to the next level."

Comment

From Let's Play Hockey (a pretty reputable source)

Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm always on board for a new team, but have become a bit jaded as an Illinois fan. LPH had "sources" had them going D1 once or twice I think. The family connection is an interesting twist, but until something official comes out file it as interesting speculation. I like the random throw in of "Oh yeah, Buffalo too..."

EDIT: Yup, already an official and conclusive denial.

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2014/11/7/7176047/asu-hockey-don-levin-deny-reports-from-lets-play-hockey-of-ncaa-move
                            Last edited by slowe; 11-07-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                              I'm always on board for a new team, but have become a bit jaded as an Illinois fan. LPH had "sources" had them going D1 once or twice I think. The family connection is an interesting twist, but until something official comes out file it as interesting speculation. I like the random throw in of "Oh yeah, Buffalo too..."
                              I found a couple links regarding D-1 hockey at Buffalo after Googling this, both more than 3 years old, one of which is a USCHO story:

http://www.uscho.com/2011/09/26/buff...dding-to-ccha/

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2011...ng-dropping-it

I call B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                I found a couple links regarding D-1 hockey at Buffalo after Googling this, both more than 3 years old, one of which is a USCHO story:

http://www.uscho.com/2011/09/26/buff...dding-to-ccha/

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2011...ng-dropping-it

I call B.S.
                                yep, B.S.
                                one month fresh.
                                http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/ni...hange-20141005
                                Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Working...
                                X