Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirtless Guy
    replied
    Re: The Battle for the Imaginary Cup - NMU vs. Michigan Tech, 12/18/09 and 1/12/10

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    And hopefully we get rid of it and not schedule NMU another 2 times again. It's nice sometimes having 4 games against your "rivals," but is there another team that schedules 4 NC games against the same team. It just seems to be a waste.
    UAA and UA_ did until they agreed to play in each other's tournament because of changes in exempt games.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied
    Re: The Battle for the Imaginary Cup - NMU vs. Michigan Tech, 12/18/09 and 1/12/10

Tech and NMU could always do a trip to New York and play Clarkson and St. Lawrence, one each night. They're like 20 miles apart. Then Clarkson and St. Lawrence could come to the Yoop and do the same.

Actually there are several pairs that this could work with. Yale-Quinnipiac, RPI-#26, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Flashy Man
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Next year is the last year...
    And hopefully we get rid of it and not schedule NMU another 2 times again. It's nice sometimes having 4 games against your "rivals," but is there another team that schedules 4 NC games against the same team. It just seems to be a waste.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    While I'm glad that the Superior Showcase happened, I would really like to see it end, and I'd like to pick up UNO as a NC opponent for a four year span.

NMU hosts UA_: 2 vs MTU, 2 vs UNO, Holiday Tourney or another 2 NC

NMU goes to UA_: 2 vs MTU, 2 vs UNO, 2 vs ???, Holiday Tourney
    Next year is the last year...

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

While I'm glad that the Superior Showcase happened, I would really like to see it end, and I'd like to pick up UNO as a NC opponent for a four year span.

NMU hosts UA_: 2 vs MTU, 2 vs UNO, Holiday Tourney or another 2 NC

NMU goes to UA_: 2 vs MTU, 2 vs UNO, 2 vs ???, Holiday Tourney

Leave a comment:

• NMU8405
    replied

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
    Well, it makes sense. There's the existing (if not fading) rivalry, plus the simplicity of being (relatively) close to each other. It's a series I'd like to see continue, but I can't help but agree--it would be nice to play some other NC games.
    I think a BU game would be awesome, but that's not going to happen any time soon...
    Tech could play AIC...Battle of the basement in College Hockey!!

But seriously, the distance is the greatest thing to overcome. The smaller eastern schools do not have the budgets of Boston U. So a team like Merrimack, or Providence out of hockey east might be difficult to schedule. I think games against St. Lawrence, Niagara, Mercyhurst would better suit Tech.

Matchups Id love to see NMU compete in: Vs. Maine (obviously) vs. UNH, vs. Denver, Vs. Union so we can shut up that UnionHockeyManiac guy.

Leave a comment:

• SiouxTechie
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    And "your" team is one I'd consider to be one of those "name" schools I talked about.
    I know, that's why I said it and added the smiley

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    And yes, I like the idea of more eastern schools. Attracting decent NC opponents might be a problem with our putrid record though, PWR wouldn't be kind to any easterners that lost to a 3-34-1 Huskies team.
    I'd even be willing to accept some less desirable eastern opponents for a few years. I'm just getting tired of playing NMU as our only major NC opponent, to be perfectly honest. I think two games against them each season is enough as long as they're staying in the CCHA. Some will disagree and claim it makes a 'dying' rivalry even less relevant, but I think it's fine.

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
    Hey my team plays against Cornell after this weekend's Sioux/Gopher series.
    And "your" team is one I'd consider to be one of those "name" schools I talked about.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post

And yes, technically, this is about Tech/NMU. But since when do us Tech posters ever stay on topic??
    At least we're talking hockey.

And yes, I like the idea of more eastern schools. Attracting decent NC opponents might be a problem with our putrid record though, PWR wouldn't be kind to any easterners that lost to a 3-34-1 Huskies team.

Leave a comment:

• SiouxTechie
    replied

Clarkson, RPI, SLU, even a budding program like Quinnipiac would make for an interesting weekend of hockey, I think. I'd love a series against Cornell too (for multiple reasons), but due to the Ivy League scheduling demands I think it's difficult to get a series with them unless you're a "name" program or a traditional rival who now plays in another conference (HEA). The other ECAC schools aren't bound by that, and get to schedule more NC series because of it.

But anyway, this is about Tech/NMU. I guess...

And yes, technically, this is about Tech/NMU. But since when do us Tech posters ever stay on topic??

Leave a comment:

• nmupiccdiva
    replied

Clarkson, RPI, SLU, even a budding program like Quinnipiac would make for an interesting weekend of hockey, I think. I'd love a series against Cornell too (for multiple reasons), but due to the Ivy League scheduling demands I think it's difficult to get a series with them unless you're a "name" program or a traditional rival who now plays in another conference (HEA). The other ECAC schools aren't bound by that, and get to schedule more NC series because of it.

Well, it makes sense. There's the existing (if not fading) rivalry, plus the simplicity of being (relatively) close to each other. It's a series I'd like to see continue, but I can't help but agree--it would be nice to play some other NC games.
    I think a BU game would be awesome, but that's not going to happen any time soon...

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I think the showcase is done after next season anyway...But I agree with FTB&G, I would like to travel to a Clarkson, RPI...etc.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Basically

It's either the weekend before Christmas (attendance be d@mned), schedule a game mid-week in January (right before the conference schedules begin again in earnest), or do away with the Superior Showcase (something I'm not in favor of doing just to schedule a 3rd and probably 4th game with NMU). If we're going to drop the Showcase, I'd at least want Tech to replace it with a series against a half-decent NC opponent each season. There are some non-ivy ECAC teams whom I sure would reciprocate a home series over a two or three year agreement.
    I think the showcase is done after next season anyway...But I agree with FTB&G, I would like to travel to a Clarkson, RPI...etc.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
    And not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think we're gonna see better scheduling of this series until the Superior Showcase dies. There just aren't many good weekends outside of conference play for this series.
    Basically

It's either the weekend before Christmas (attendance be d@mned), schedule a game mid-week in January (right before the conference schedules begin again in earnest), or do away with the Superior Showcase (something I'm not in favor of doing just to schedule a 3rd and probably 4th game with NMU). If we're going to drop the Showcase, I'd at least want Tech to replace it with a series against a half-decent NC opponent each season. There are some non-ivy ECAC teams whom I sure would reciprocate a home series over a two or three year agreement.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-11-2010, 11:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nmupiccdiva
    replied

Originally posted by The Incredible Gulk View Post
    When we lose do I get to drink it?

Unfortunately, if we lose this game I can't really effectively drink away my sorrows. We have our first broomball game later that night, plus I have class the day after this game too. I pray next year they find a better way to schedule the Tech/Northern series.
    We'll see.

And not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think we're gonna see better scheduling of this series until the Superior Showcase dies. There just aren't many good weekends outside of conference play for this series.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X