Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Everyone that returns has a year more experience than last year... That could be five out of six starters. We lost Jake Parenteau and Justin Holl. We have Mike Reilly and Brady Skjei...

I know you're looking at it from the defensive lens, but we have at least two for sure NHLers with a year more development.
    This is why I think they'll be fine/rock solid at D. That doesn't mean they'll win every game nor that no mistakes will be made - especially early. But they should be expected to reach the FF no hyperbole or arrogance required.

As fans we can wring our hands every off-season for one reason or another. But realistically this is a team built for the whole thing. But some of the reasons why I can't get overly worried about what may happen come from last season as an example. They got to the final and the ride was phenomenal, but in the end it's a one and done format and they got beat. It happens far more often than not.

This team should be a treat to watch if they have their heads on straight, that's all that I ask for.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-28-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      This is why I think they'll be fine/rock solid at D. That doesn't mean they'll win every game nor that no mistakes will be made - especially early. But they should be expected to reach the FF no hyperbole or arrogance required.

As fans we can wring our hands every off-season for one reason or another. But realistically this is a team built for the whole thing. But some of the reasons why I can't get overly worried about what may happen come from last season as an example. They got to the final and the ride was phenomenal, but in the end it's a one and done format and they got beat. It happens far more often than not.

This team should be a treat to watch if they have their heads on straight, that's all that I ask for.
      Great post, even though I can see Koho's side too. But in the end, and barring a serious bad luck of injuries, this very well could (should?) be the Gophers' year.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Gophers open the season ranked No. 1 in both major polls:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/national-polls/

Now, if we could FINISH the season ranked No. 1 in both polls, I would like that much better!

Comment

Kraft Hockeyville comes to the US in 2015.
          My money is on Roseau or Warroad.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Gophers open the season ranked No. 1 in both major polls:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/national-polls/

Now, if we could FINISH the season ranked No. 1 in both polls, I would like that much better!
            So I guess I didn't realize UND would be number 2 in both poles, pohls. Obviously the loss of Rocco won't help them. Did they not lose much else?

Comment

They didn't lose much and they brought in a first round forward.

Comment

Anyone know anything about what we can expect from Northern Alberta? Looking at their web site, they've already played five games, but have lost three of them:

http://www.nait.ca/68762.htm

If past exhibitions against Canadian schools are any indication, the Gophers should have their way with them. And if I had to guess, if anything the "Ooks" will be an easier opponent than the likes of Lethbridge and British Columbia? Hopefully NAIT will put up some resistance and will give Lucia a chance to see what his new players can do against a decent opponent. And more importantly, I hope the Gophers don't suffer any serious injuries, because on occasion these opening exhibitions have gotten pretty rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  So I guess I didn't realize UND would be number 2 in both poles, pohls. Obviously the loss of Rocco won't help them. Did they not lose much else?
                  Voting for the Whioux before Dec 1st is stupid. Everyone knows they hack their way around through Thanksgiving.

Also, I am picking the Badgers to be sub 500 this year....as in average attendance per game.
                  I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
                  -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

And if I had to guess, if anything the "Ooks" will be an easier opponent than the likes of Lethbridge and British Columbia?
                    Based on the amount of CHL experience on the team, yes.

Comment

Personally I think UND is ranked a little too high, probably based upon their appearance in last year's Frozen Four and the relatively small losses of players.

They lost Rocco and Dillon Simpson, but not much else. Backup goaltender, a couple of senior forwards who played sporadically.

But they'll struggle to score goals this year, even with the addition of Schmaltz.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Even though I don't like them, I think it's foolish to ever count UND out. Maybe this isn't their year on paper, but more often than not Hak gets them in the hunt before it's all said and done.

Comment

Anyone know anything about what we can expect from Northern Alberta? Looking at their web site, they've already played five games, but have lost three of them:

We can expect them to play like overage canadian hacks (like the Whioux but with less talent). I'm sure plenty of cheap shots will be attempted, they are playing the pre-season #1 team in the country in the best college hockey arena in North America after all.

9-0 Gophers

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Personally I think UND is ranked a little too high, probably based upon their appearance in last year's Frozen Four and the relatively small losses of players.

They lost Rocco and Dillon Simpson, but not much else. Backup goaltender, a couple of senior forwards who played sporadically.

But they'll struggle to score goals this year, even with the addition of Schmaltz.
                            Looks like most voters went the easy route and put last year's frozen four in the top five. Union lost probably more than enough to drop out of top 5. And yeah, even though they always find a way to win late, UND didn't seem to have tons of fire power last year. But then again, maybe just because of my lack of knowledge of the other teams, no one seems to stand out clearly after the Gophs. Of course realizing that as teams sometimes under-perform, there are always teams that do much better than they appear pre-season. that unpredictability of how much each player will excel from one year to the next is one of the things that keeps college hockey so interesting.

Just can't get here soon enough this year....

Comment

Looks like most voters went the easy route and put last year's frozen four in the top five. Union lost probably more than enough to drop out of top 5. And yeah, even though they always find a way to win late, UND didn't seem to have tons of fire power last year. But then again, maybe just because of my lack of knowledge of the other teams, no one seems to stand out clearly after the Gophs. Of course realizing that as teams sometimes under-perform, there are always teams that do much better than they appear pre-season. that unpredictability of how much each player will excel from one year to the next is one of the things that keeps college hockey so interesting.

Just can't get here soon enough this year....
                              Honestly, this is the type of year where I'll miss the old WCHA. Pre-season #1 and #2. Both feeling like they have unfinished business. You know there are going to be at least 4, and maybe as many as 6 epic games. They would have been bloody.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                Everyone that returns has a year more experience than last year... That could be five out of six starters. We lost Jake Parenteau and Justin Holl. We have Mike Reilly and Brady Skjei...

I know you're looking at it from the defensive lens, but we have at least two for sure NHLers with a year more development.
                                The other thing to point out here is that it isn't exactly unheard of to play your top 2 pairings a lot more minutes when needed. For instance, it's not like every Dman on the Wild play the same minutes as Suter.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X