Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Some folks seemed to see some posters as jumping off a cliff and others that were as cool as a cucumber. I just see a bunch of solid fans who always want to see Gopher hockey.
    With all of the talent we have returning - NO losses to the pros - combined with some huge potential guys coming in, this season in particular should be really exciting. If you are going to "splurge" and see a few games in person, this SHOULD be a great year to do it. I will try to keep my expectations in check...
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      With all of the talent we have returning - NO losses to the pros - combined with some huge potential guys coming in, this season in particular should be really exciting. If you are going to "splurge" and see a few games in person, this SHOULD be a great year to do it. I will try to keep my expectations in check...
      Exactly the reason that this would be the most frustrating year to see a drop in the number of games televised for those of us not in the area to catch them live.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Exactly the reason that this would be the most frustrating year to see a drop in the number of games televised for those of us not in the area to catch them live.
        This.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          The MN Womans' games are free, and decent quality.

And for the price of a men's ticket (plus parking, etc)...I'll listen on the radio.
          With a small amount of walking to and from the arena, you can usually park in the neighborhoods by Blarney and whatnot for free.

Heck, I used to live just on the other side of 35W from campus and on football gamedays we would see people parking over there all the time and we would always walk to hockey games from there. It wasn't thaaaaaaaat bad even in the dead of winter.

I know of some fans who became fans of the women's team, because for them it was so much more affordable. Tickets are just $8 for adults, $5 for seniors (compared to $35 for the men's games!). You can usually sit wherever you want at Ridder, as it's typically only about half full (exceptions are for Wisconsin, UND and MN-Duluth, in that order - and playoff games. For NCAA Regionals you'll likely be relegated to a general admission bench seat, and to get a good one you'll need to get there a little early. They've sold out on a few occasions in the past...

I go to as many of the women's home games as I can, but unless there's a death or marriage in the family I also go to ALL of the men's games! Can't beat the atmosphere at Mariucci and seeing the games live...so much better than TV and WAY better than internet streaming, even with a super fast connection.
          We used to stop by for regular season women's games and (even though I'm not a student) I would say I forgot my ID and they would just wave me in.

Last year was the first year in a awhile that I think I watched more games on TV than I went to live. We used to go to literally every Friday home game and I miss it, but I had a hook up for student tickets that is no longer and my brother graduated from the U last January and doesn't live down there any more. It used to be so easy to just drive down after work and meet at his place right after work and then go over to the arena.
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

All gametimes on gophersports.com are still listed as "TBA". I assume the delay is solely due to television broadcast rights not being ironed out yet?

Comment

Just wish I knew when the first televised game is, so I could start to count the days....

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                Just wish I knew when the first televised game is, so I could start to count the days....
                Good reading while you're trying to count the days:

Former Gophers infiltrate the Wild roster
                http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/275906221.html

Comment

Received my season tix and there isn't a single game time published on any of them...

That makes it easy to plan! At least I should be happy they actually have dates and location.

Comment

Thanks big ten. You used to be able to count on Friday Saturday 7:00 pm. It was amazing
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Good reading while you're trying to count the days:

Former Gophers infiltrate the Wild roster
                      http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/275906221.html
                      Is a good article. I think its fine including other regional school players as well. It helps the Wild's approach to extend it.

Depending how this Wild strategy works out...the general approach could end up being a professional sports case study on how to increase recruitment potency and generate player enthusiasm by using local ties.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Is a good article. I think its fine including other regional school players as well. It helps the Wild's approach to extend it.

Depending how this Wild strategy works out...the general approach could end up being a professional sports case study on how to increase recruitment potency and generate player enthusiasm by using local ties.
                        You gotta figure Wild attendance is a big part of the equation (not sure what you meant by 'recruitment potency'). If you have 2 players of about equal skill to choose from, take the native Minnesotan and you'll have more fan interest from fans who are not primarily NHL fans. I became a Stars fan the year Neal Broten and other young players took the Stars to the Cup finals. Before that, it was all High School and College hockey for me. I somewhat followed teams like the Ranger when they had a lot of former collegians in the past. Even now, when two NHL teams meet in the playoffs that I have no connection to, I tend to lean toward the one with more former collegians. hope the Wild continue the trend.

Comment

Agree 100% with Koho, although I don't get super emotionally involved with the Wild until the Gophers' season is over.

Comment

Agree 100% with Koho, although I don't get super emotionally involved with the Wild until the Gophers' season is over.
                            I agree. But Wild is a nice filler between Gopher games, especially with more MN players on team.

Comment

I don't get emotionally involved with the Wild until the playoffs. I'm a bandwagon fan. *shrug*
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I don't get emotionally involved with the Wild until the playoffs. I'm a bandwagon fan. *shrug*
                                I'm kind of the same, but don't consider it bandwagon so much as residual pain from the North Stars leaving.

Comment

Working...
                                X