Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Something to keep in mind...

We are spoiled in that the majority of Gopher games have been on TV for many years, thus we have gotten used to it. We all knew that the BiG (Mistake) was going to change this and we are seeing the result of that.

Comment

F()ck that. Who gives a **** if we have had excellent coverage in the past. That doesn't make us spoiled, it speaks to the importance this sport holds within this community.

We SHOULD be upset about this. We should be pressuring the media to maintain the excellent coverage we've had to this point. I remember when people said we should count our blessings that we had a couple games on tv or when we had a game or two in HD. If anything we should be asking questions as to why the coverage is decreasing and explain how this is going to be improved in the future.

Why is it that when we see a lapse in coverage some are apt to just throw up their hands and say "c'est la vie"? Screw that. We're Minnesota. We're tArrogance. We deserve better than cut rate coverage. We should be doing everything we can to grow the sport not stand by and watch it whither on the side of the road.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Before I get mad I am going to wait until the tv schedule is released.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          Before I get mad I am going to wait until the tv schedule is released.
          It kind of has, if you've been reading. About 25 games will be on tv. The rabble-rousing (I'm as guilty as the rest of the crowd) was premature.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm not going as far as saying we deserve to have full TV coverage when its beyond their ability to influence that.

But the U should have free/cheap streaming options for games that are not televised. Many other schools do...and in hockey, MN is not just any other school.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

A UND fan/friend of mine sent me this announcement:

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...B_OEM_ID=13500
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

With the BTN2Go infrastructure, you'd think that'd be a no brainer. Unfortunately, there aren't that many conference games and I think the U should take it into their own hands to make every game available via streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  ...I think the U should take it into their own hands to make every game available via streaming.
                  I could be wrong but when it comes to broadcast rights I doubt the U (or any other individual school) has the authority to make changes. My guess is that their hands are pretty much tied, with BTN having the final say. It seems like they get the first right of refusal, and FSN's influence is diminishing every year.

Shifting gears, what's the delay in getting the game times up on the schedule as shown on GopherSports.com? By now I usually have all start times on my calendar, so I don't inadvertently assume conflicts with other "less important" events.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    I could be wrong but when it comes to broadcast rights I doubt the U (or any other individual school) has the authority to make changes. My guess is that their hands are pretty much tied, with BTN having the final say. It seems like they get the first right of refusal, and FSN's influence is diminishing every year.

Shifting gears, what's the delay in getting the game times up on the schedule as shown on GopherSports.com? By now I usually have all start times on my calendar, so I don't inadvertently assume conflicts with other "less important" events.
                    IIRC: FSN owns 51% of the BTN.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      IIRC: FSN owns 51% of the BTN.
                      Actually 21st Century Fox and its subsidiary Fox Entertainment Group, operated by Fox Sports. Who knows what all goes on between Fox and its various subsidiaries, the Big Ten Conference (which owns the other 49%) and our regional network, Fox Sports North (FSN).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Network

Comment

It kind of has, if you've been reading. About 25 games will be on tv. The rabble-rousing (I'm as guilty as the rest of the crowd) was premature.
                        25 of 37 is not enough! Rabble Rous away!!! I want to see all games, especially this year!!!!! (Ok, I can skip the exhibitions like in past and maybe a classic game.) I don't live near the Cities where I can attend home games.

If the stations won't do it, there should be streaming. (How much to stream a Woman's game?)

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                          25 of 37 is not enough! Rabble Rous away!!! I want to see all games, especially this year!!!!! (Ok, I can skip the exhibitions like in past and maybe a classic game.) I don't live near the Cities where I can attend home games.

If the stations won't do it, there should be streaming. (How much to stream a Woman's game?)
                          The MN Womans' games are free, and decent quality.

And for the price of a men's ticket (plus parking, etc)...I'll listen on the radio.

Comment

The MN Womans' games are free, and decent quality.

And for the price of a men's ticket (plus parking, etc)...I'll listen on the radio.
                            I know of some fans who became fans of the women's team, because for them it was so much more affordable. Tickets are just $8 for adults, $5 for seniors (compared to $35 for the men's games!). You can usually sit wherever you want at Ridder, as it's typically only about half full (exceptions are for Wisconsin, UND and MN-Duluth, in that order - and playoff games. For NCAA Regionals you'll likely be relegated to a general admission bench seat, and to get a good one you'll need to get there a little early. They've sold out on a few occasions in the past...

I go to as many of the women's home games as I can, but unless there's a death or marriage in the family I also go to ALL of the men's games! Can't beat the atmosphere at Mariucci and seeing the games live...so much better than TV and WAY better than internet streaming, even with a super fast connection.

Comment

My work hours prevent me from any Friday men's games. And paying $50/game (for one person) doesn't help either. I admit, The Streak made me a women's hockey fan, but I'll still watch the games now. Good program. Frost is a stand-up guy, and good coach.

Comment

Some folks seemed to see some posters as jumping off a cliff and others that were as cool as a cucumber. I just see a bunch of solid fans who always want to see Gopher hockey.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X