Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    My gut feeling is that there is only 1 job out there that Guentzel wants more than his current one.
    Lucia's?
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      That's what I've tried to explain over and over again. They love their experience factor so much it's like talking to a wall.
      One could argue that is why both Yale and Union won a NC, older more experienced players who also were pretty good. I think a good 23 and 24 year old has an advantage over a good 19 and 20 year old. Wisconsin - maybe they just weren't that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        My other concern is how some of the other "less heralded" juniors sit in terms of their draft and signing status. I'm not sure who all becomes a free agent if not signed this year, but if guys like Boyd, Warning or Ambroz fall into that category it's at least possible they could sign. I'm really not worried about Rau. Both because I think he is pretty committed, and because I don't think he is ready (and all parties involved know that).
        Warning is undrafted and I can't see any team willing to throw money at him at this stage. Not at his size and with the inconsistency he showed this year.

I could maybe see Ambroz given his size and the family's financial situation. But I kind of doubt he will.

I highly doubt it with Boyd. He won't even be 21 til next fall. I'm sure he'll finish out and sign with Washington next spring.

The whole free agent thing is a little overstated. It is mainly fear of losing your truly top prospects where that becomes a concern. A team will retain their rights til August after they graduate (in the case of Boyd and Ambroz. Both of whom were drafted in 2011).

The other thing I would bring up is the possibility of losing some of the lesser-played guys to transfer. Michaelson jumps out at me as a possibility. So does Isackson, although with him only having 1 year of eligibility left I think the likelihood diminishes. I know some people love to hate on Isackson, but I think he is better than people give him credit for and it's always nice to have that kind of depth going into a season. MAybe there's an injury, or maybe he works his balls off and comes out next year and is a big contributor in some kind of role.
        I've given up on Isackson as any kind of significant contributor. He's always had very good hands but he is too slow with his decisions. Turns the puck over too much.

I'd like to see AJ get a shot at a consistent lower line spot next year. I think he has it in him to do something in that type of role. Sort of play like Condon did a few years ago (though likely less offensive production).
        Last edited by Hammy; 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM.
        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Hey Minnie fans Tom Serratore just scored for the Phantoms; first pro goal...AND he just got into his first pro fight!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-16-2014, 07:55 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Gordie Howe hat trick!?!??
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Is there an unofficial schedule out for men's hockey for 14-15? Making travel plans to the twin cities and want to get to at least one game while I am there.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Hey Minnie fans Tom Serratore just scored for the Phantoms; first pro goal...AND he just got into his first pro fight!

Please lets get this right I have never heard a Minnesota person refer to us as Minnie. Just because the announcers of the frozen four were to lazy to pronounce it Minnesota or the Gophers we do not go by Minnie. Sorry just an annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleed Maroon and Gold View Post
                  Please lets get this right I have never heard a Minnesota person refer to us as Minnie. Just because the announcers of the frozen four were to lazy to pronounce it Minnesota or the Gophers we do not go by Minnie. Sorry just an annoyance.
                  My correction!! Just a hasty post to share the news of your terrific player ! Kind of like how we feel when people call us UNH fans UHN and dumb stuff like that.. Totally not meant to annoy . Unfortunately he ended up getting a 10 min major so it was quite the debut! They play again Friday and I think Gostibehere will debut in that one...Looks like he (Serratore) has a great future in front of him. And, congrats on a great season...
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by knfhockeyfan View Post
                    Is there an unofficial schedule out for men's hockey for 14-15? Making travel plans to the twin cities and want to get to at least one game while I am there.
                    There is another thread here where people are piecing things together. Gophers are usually one of the latest to publish a schedule. Here are some dates from the Gopher Puck Live site:
                    10/10 - Minnesota Duluth (Ice Breaker Tournament At Notre Dame)
                    10/12 - RPI or ND (Ice Breaker Tournament At Notre Dame)
                    10/31 - @ St. Cloud State
                    11/1 - St. Cloud State
                    11/14 - Minnesota Duluth
                    11/15 - @ Minnesota Duluth
                    11/29 - @ Boston College
                    11/30 - @ Northeastern
                    1/23 & 24 - North Star College Cup, St. Paul

Comment

Two years in a row that Minny was eliminated by an ECAC team. Next year will be Quinnipiac's turn to send Minny packing.

Comment

Originally posted by antioch1098 View Post
                        Next year will be Quinnipiac's turn to send Minny packing.
                        Yeah, nice showing against Providence in the first round this year, anti. With three of their top five scorers lost to graduation plus Brabant leaving early, the Pussycats might have an even harder time scoring a goal next season LOL.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

No news is... not fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            No news is... not fun.
                            Well, Erik Johnson has been good. Jerk.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              Well, Erik Johnson has been good. Jerk.
                              A real game-saver when he saved what would have been the clincher by fellow ex-Gopher Haula.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                There is another thread here where people are piecing things together. Gophers are usually one of the latest to publish a schedule. Here are some dates from the Gopher Puck Live site:
                                10/10 - Minnesota Duluth (Ice Breaker Tournament At Notre Dame)
                                10/12 - RPI or ND (Ice Breaker Tournament At Notre Dame)
                                10/31 - @ St. Cloud State
                                11/1 - St. Cloud State
                                11/14 - Minnesota Duluth
                                11/15 - @ Minnesota Duluth
                                11/29 - @ Boston College
                                11/30 - @ Northeastern
                                1/23 & 24 - North Star College Cup, St. Paul
                                Couple surprises (at least to me):
                                Home and home with SCSU and UMD,
                                Only one game at BC (we just had 3 against them here the last two years, and I expect they will be pumped up and be hard to beat with several years of the most lopsided losses out of trips to Mpls they've had in some time)
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X