Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Any of the juniors would be candidates for early departure. Of the sophomores, we're looking at Brady Skjei, Mike Reilly and Wilcox. Of the freshmen, Fasching.

If there were NO early departures, which I think is highly unlikely, next year we might see one of the most dominant Gopher hockey teams in the history of the program.

Honestly, none of these guys looks ready to play in the NHL now or any time soon, but Skjei may be the most ready. He had a bad game on Saturday night though, so it should give him pause. Same thing with Mike Reilly ... he was mediocre by his standards in both Frozen Four games. They both have alot to work on. As does Hudson Fasching. The only early departure candidate who I think has maxed out his talent and development in college is Rau .. but I don't see Florida having a big need to sign the undersized forward. He doesn't have any great NHL tools - he's just a really good college hockey player.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      I am most concerned with Wilcox leaving. Tampa,Bay has to make a decision pay Wilcox good money or risk losing him to free agency.
      It is a two way street though. Wilcox has to look at TB and decide if that is the best place for him. The reality is they have a very good guy in net at the NHL level (Bishop) and two goalie prospects in their organization that are ranked higher than Wilcox. He might be better off waiting and then picking a more advantageous place that doesn't have quite as crowded of a depth chart.

My feeling is the coaches would have recruited the goalie position differently if they thought Wilcox was likely to leave this summer. They have a kid coming in to replace Shibby next fall but their two other goalie recruits can come in no sooner than 2015 (Halladay) and 2016 (Edquist). My feeling is if they really thought Wilcox was a legit flight risk this summer, they would have gone after somebody that has the flexibility to come in this fall if needed. Neither Halladay or Edquist can do that. My 2 cents.
      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        No. It wasn't the hitting. It was age and experience that mattered.
        How many Seniors can we transfer over for next season?
        If that's all it takes then Wisconsin should have gone farther this year.
        If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
          It's not "all" it takes, but it certainly helps.

Compare how UW did this year to how they did the year before and the year before that, then tell me the experienced roster you had this season didn't matter.
          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 04-14-2014, 07:55 PM.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone came back? (save for the seniors of course)

This year's freshman class could explode next season. I can only dream of what the team would be like 2 years form now if no freshman or sophmores would bolt. That would be an unstoppable group of juniors and seniors. They could maybe even fill the Hobey hat trick with all Gophers. That's a pipe dream though. I think the best chance is to get them all back for one more run next season. Maybe the experience of coming so close this year will keep them together for one more try.
            National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

No. It wasn't the hitting. It was age and experience that mattered.
              if you say it ain't so, then that is what it must be

but seriously, when a player gets 3 whacks at a puck in front of the goal surrounded by players from the opposition ....
              I didn't see that happen all season on the women's team

are they afraid of getting injured and ruining their value to the NHL?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                Wouldn't it be nice if everyone came back? (save for the seniors of course)

This year's freshman class could explode next season. I can only dream of what the team would be like 2 years form now if no freshman or sophmores would bolt. That would be an unstoppable group of juniors and seniors. They could maybe even fill the Hobey hat trick with all Gophers. That's a pipe dream though. I think the best chance is to get them all back for one more run next season. Maybe the experience of coming so close this year will keep them together for one more try.
                You're in the middle of the 5th thinking no-hitter. Careful.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  You're in the middle of the 5th thinking no-hitter. Careful.
                  I'm merely speculating.

But seriously, if they all stayed.....
                  Wilcox and M. Reilly as seniors and Kloos, Fasching and Cammarata as juniors?

I don't think it's a stretch to envision Wilcox, Reilly and 1 of those 3 forwards in the race for the Hobey.

In 2002 the Gophers were IMO just a great goalie away from a Gopher Hobey hat trick. Pohl not being in the top ten was ludicrous....he was the top point scorer in the nation for cryin' out loud.
                  Last edited by Rabid Gopher; 04-14-2014, 11:08 PM.
                  National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

I see where Tom Serratore signed an amateur tryout contract with the Adirondack Phantoms, where Mark Alt is currently playing. Best of luck to Tom!

http://m.gophersports.com/m/sports/m...041414aaa.html
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I don't think Reilly will leave. Based on the Star Tribune article about the three brothers and overhearing his dad saying how much his kids value playing together, I think he gives it at least another year. How many more opportunities (Sedins and Staals aside) do you get to be on a team with your brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by badgerhawk View Post
                        That's what I've tried to explain over and over again. They love their experience factor so much it's like talking to a wall.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

That's what I've tried to explain over and over again. They love their experience factor so much it's like talking to a wall.
                          No, talking to a wall is trying to explain to you what all of us meant in that discussion about 150 times and yet you still refuse to acknowledge our explanation (not necessarily even agree with it) yet you parrot it like a complete idiot while the rest of us laugh.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Great season for the Gophers, and the future looks bright.

Any potential we lose Mike Guentzel? CC opening comes to mind, and I fear losing him will hurt this team more than any one player would. Last time around without Coach Guentzel was not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs13 View Post
                              Great season for the Gophers, and the future looks bright.

Any potential we lose Mike Guentzel? CC opening comes to mind, and I fear losing him will hurt this team more than any one player would. Last time around without Coach Guentzel was not good.
                              I'm sure they'll talk to him. I kind of doubt he'll end up going.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

My gut feeling is that there is only 1 job out there that Guentzel wants more than his current one.

I'm optimistic that Wilcox stays. Reilly and Skjei are bigger worries to me. My hope is that if either of them is close to signing, they think back to the last game of the year and Gostisbehere and realize that they still have a lot to develop in the college game.

My other concern is how some of the other "less heralded" juniors sit in terms of their draft and signing status. I'm not sure who all becomes a free agent if not signed this year, but if guys like Boyd, Warning or Ambroz fall into that category it's at least possible they could sign. I'm really not worried about Rau. Both because I think he is pretty committed, and because I don't think he is ready (and all parties involved know that).

The other thing I would bring up is the possibility of losing some of the lesser-played guys to transfer. Michaelson jumps out at me as a possibility. So does Isackson, although with him only having 1 year of eligibility left I think the likelihood diminishes. I know some people love to hate on Isackson, but I think he is better than people give him credit for and it's always nice to have that kind of depth going into a season. MAybe there's an injury, or maybe he works his balls off and comes out next year and is a big contributor in some kind of role.

Comment

Working...
                                X