Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Offseason Thread: Yearning for More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Offseason Thread: Yearning for More

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    Glad to see the "House of Horrors" will be undergoing a change. That 8-7 Purple Mav victory over the Pioneers still is indelibly
    etched as one of the strangest and most unsettling memories--Unbelievable!

Mile High Sports
    took a look back at the 2003-04 Pioneer season and the 8-7 Purple Mav Victory over the Pioneers was prominently featured.
    Hard to believe it was 10 years ago, but many of us still remeber that day

Talk to any of those former Pioneers about the season’s turning points — and there were plenty — and one moment typically is put on the table before all others. And that occurred on a frigid night in Mankato, Minn., just before the 2003 holidays.
    Heading into that Western Collegiate Hockey Association series against Minnesota State, it had been an uneven start to say the least for DU. Nagging injuries were mounting, a situation that only worsened in Minnesota. The Pioneers escaped with a tie in the first game of the series, but lost the services of Caldwell, the team’s captain, for the finale. Fellow senior defenseman Jussi Halme joined Caldwell on the sideline after a wayward shot broke his jaw.
    Yet perhaps the biggest burden saddling the Pioneers that weekend wasn’t anything occurring on the ice, but a devastating emotional loss the Pioneers were facing off it. Earlier in the week, the entire program was shocked to learn of the sudden death of NHL legend Keith Magnuson, a DU alum who remained not only the Pioneers’ biggest cheerleader, but the program’s emotional leader and hockey savant for everyone from the team’s top prospects to the last man on the bench.
    In Mankato, however, every moment proved to be a nightmare, despite racing to a seemingly insurmountable 7-1 lead early in the second period of the finale. With Gwozdecky out of town to attend Magnuson’s funeral, assistants Steve Miller and Seth Appert were forced to double and even triple-shift the team’s few healthy defensemen.
    What followed was as improbably demoralizing as the season’s grand conclusion was improbably exhilarating. Mankato reeled off seven consecutive goals against the undermanned and emotionally wounded Pioneers.
    Last edited by vizoroo; 05-31-2014, 05:19 PM.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Re: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Offseason Thread: Yearning for More

I was still there. One of the coolest games I've ever seen.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

It was nice seeing C.J. Franklin drafted in the 5th round last weekend.
        AF 99

Comment

There was a fantastic turnout for the Dan Meyer Blue Line Club Golf Classic yesterday. One thing I really liked was the the new WCHA commissioner was there and talked with the crowd about the importance of expanding the WCHA brand and strengthening the conference. He said the goal is to have 2 to 3 teams in the NCAAs per year.

Coach Hastings talked about how loyal he is to his players and this town and the deep appreciation he has for the supporters of his team. He's extremely excited for the team he has and stated that he believes this is the best summer any of his teams have had here in Mankato. The team goals are to win the MacNaughton, Broadmoor, and make noise in the NCAA tournament. He also said he's extremely excited about the incoming freshman class; I am as well!
          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            There was a fantastic turnout for the Dan Meyer Blue Line Club Golf Classic yesterday. One thing I really liked was the the new WCHA commissioner was there and talked with the crowd about the importance of expanding the WCHA brand and strengthening the conference. He said the goal is to have 2 to 3 teams in the NCAAs per year.

Coach Hastings talked about how loyal he is to his players and this town and the deep appreciation he has for the supporters of his team. He's extremely excited for the team he has and stated that he believes this is the best summer any of his teams have had here in Mankato. The team goals are to win the MacNaughton, Broadmoor, and make noise in the NCAA tournament. He also said he's extremely excited about the incoming freshman class; I am as well!
            It's great to see the energy and the optimism Coach Hastings is bringing to the job (and, of course, the results he's bringing as well). I'm hoping this translates into big attendance this year. Any idea on how season ticket sales are going?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
              It's great to see the energy and the optimism Coach Hastings is bringing to the job (and, of course, the results he's bringing as well). I'm hoping this translates into big attendance this year. Any idea on how season ticket sales are going?
              A lot of the renewals just went out late last week and early next week, so numbers aren't readily available yet. I've noticed the push to advertise has just picked up, coincidently when the renewals went out. They're optimistic that they increase attendance again this year.
              AF 99

Comment

Hunter Warner headed to WHL. Decent Wild camp must have got some people's attention. Oh well. Recruit and sign better players, and this will happen from time to time.

Comment

Johnny McInnis challenging some of his Mavericks teammates for the Ice bucket challenge to raise money for ALS

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
                  Last edited by hawkeefan; 08-11-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I'm hearing that Junior Defenseman Jon Jutzi's status with the team is uncertain.
                    AF 99

Comment

I'm hearing that Junior Defenseman Jon Jutzi's status with the team is uncertain.
                      Concerns over playing time, or the dreaded "other"?

Comment

Concerns over playing time, or the dreaded "other"?
                        Unfortunately it sounds like the latter.

He is still listed on the roster though, so he has not been kicked off of the team.

Regardless, I hope the situation works out for Jon. He's a good kid and is a nice depth player on the blue line.
                        AF 99

Comment

Unfortunately it sounds like the latter.

He is still listed on the roster though, so he has not been kicked off of the team.

Regardless, I hope the situation works out for Jon. He's a good kid and is a nice depth player on the blue line.
                          Off the roster now http://www.msumavericks.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey
                          Bummer

Comment

I was afraid this was coming, but the official decision must've happened today.
                            AF 99

Comment

Season preview coming soon!
                              AF 99

Comment

Caesar's Palace listed the Mavericks with the tenth best odds to win the NCAA Title, at 20 to 1.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X