Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Offseason Thread: Yearning for More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Offseason Thread: Yearning for More

It's an a absolutely awesome move, and something this program needs; a coach, and team engaged in the community.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Re: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Offseason Thread: Yearning for More

Mike Hastings is being inducted into the Minnesota Crookston Hall of Fame. Pretty awesome. Congrats, Mike.
      AF 99

Comment

@kclarksieben: Mankato City Manager, Pat Hentges, vowed to shave his head, if bonding bill passes and civic center is funded. Hope to see a bald Pat soon!
        AF 99

Comment

Press Release I received from msu mavericks.com..

Mavericks Announce Award Recipients for 2013-14

May. 09, 2014 Men's Hockey
          Mankato, Minn. --- The Minnesota State men's hockey team has named the recipients of its team awards for the 2013-14 season.

The award winners are listed below.

Don Brose Leadership Award & Three-Star of the Year Award - Johnny McInnis (Sr., Forward, Boston, Mass.) - Served as team captain in 2013-14...Had 43-36--79 in 131 games during course of four-year MSU career to tie for 25th on school's career scoring list for the DI era...14 career game-winning goals ranks second on MSU's all-time list...Ranked third on team scoring charts with 21-17--38...Had 6-7--12 in MSU's final 12 games of 2013-14 season...Overtime goal gave Mavericks a 1-0 win over Bowling Green Nov. 9... Named 2013-14 All-WCHA Third Team...Racked up ten power play goals as a senior and finished with 16 career PPGs...Named WCHA Offensive Player of the Week following MSU's home sweep over #2 Ferris State Jan. 17-18 (3 Gs, 1 A, 4 Pts, 16 SOG, +2 in two wins).

Best Hustle Award (Hardest Worker) - Bryce Gervais (So., Forward, Battleford, Sask.) — Had 16-10--26 in 41 games in 2013-14 to tie for fifth on team's scoring charts... Named to 2013-14 WCHA Final Five All-Tournament Team after tallying a goal and two assists for three points in two Maverick wins, ranked second on team in plus/minus at +11...Tallied game-winning goal in Minnesota State's 4-3 overtime victory at Bowling Green Nov. 23...Scored twice, assisted on another, had career-high 11 shots on goal and was +1 in MSU's 5-4 overtime win over Northern Michigan in WCHA play-offs (Mar. 15)...Had goal and two assists and was +3 in WCHA semi-final win over Bowling Green (Mar. 21)...Mavericks were 14-3-1 when recorded a point...Named 2013-14 WCHA All-Academic.

Most Improved Player Award - Sean Flanagan (Fr., Defense, Kindersley, Sask.) — Selected to 2013-14 WCHA All-Rookie Team...Had 3-6--9 in last 16 games of season and finished year tied for third on team at +10... Scored six goals which tied for third in the nation amongst all rookie defensemen...Three game-winners led all first-year blue liners in the nation... Had 6-9--15 on season, played in 33 games for MSU...Ranked second on team with three game-winning goals... Garnered WCHA Rookie of the Week recognition following Minnesota State's home sweep over Bemidji State (Feb. 7-8).

Unsung Hero Award - Zach Lehrke (Jr., Forward, Park Rapids, Minn.) - Finished 2013-14 with 8-20--28 in 31 games played... Named All-WCHA Third Team as a senior,...31-51--82 career totals in 135 games during course of four years with Mavericks stands tied for 19th on school's DI scoring list... Ranked fourth on team with 14 power play points and 14 power play assists ranked second on club...2013-14 WCHA All-Academic honoree.

Most Valuable Player - Cole Huggins (Fr., Goaltender, Centennial, Colo.) — Backstopped Mavericks to Broadmoor Trophy championship at 2014 Final Five and was named tournament's Most Outstanding Player...Finished year with a 21-8-1 won-loss record, 1.88 goals against average and a .926 save percentage in inaugural campaign with Minnesota State... Picked up WCHA Goaltending Champion honors after leading the league in goals against average, and was also was named All-WCHA Second Team and was a member of 2013-14 WCHA All-Rookie Team... Was named to the 2013-14 CHN All-Rookie Team, set school records for season goals against average (1.88), save percentage (.926) and shut-outs (6) as a rookie and was named WCHA Defensive Player of the Week after a road sweep at Lake Superior State (Feb. 28-March 1) and WCHA Rookie of the Week after stopping all nine shots faced in a period and half of relief work in a 4-3 loss to Bowling Green and followed that with first career shut-out in 1-0 overtime win over Bowling Green Nov. 8-9)... Went 11-1-1 with a 1.27 goals against average and a .949 sv% in last 13 games played to finish season in helping to lead Mavericks to its second consecutive appearance in the NCAA postseason tournament.

Minnesota State went 26-14-1 in 2013-14, won the Broadmoor Trophy as Western Collegiate Hockey Association Final Five play-off champions and earned a berth in the NCAA postseason tournament.
          AF 99

Comment

Well earned all around on the awards. There were several times this year it could have fallen apart, but McInnis and Lehrke didn't let that happen. As for Gervais, I thought he was our best player for the last 6-8 weeks, and the best PK guy I saw on any team all year. Kudos to the freshmen as well. Can't wait for next season to start!

Comment

Please keep former football player Isaac Kolstad in your thoughts and prayers as he battles for his life.
              AF 99

Comment

Anyone aware of the reason that Friday night games are now going to be at 7:07? Not a big deal, but just curious as to why.
                http://msumavericks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                  Anyone aware of the reason that Friday night games are now going to be at 7:07? Not a big deal, but just curious as to why.
                  No idea, but thanks for the link. Didn't know the schedule was out. Surprised to see Princeton on there. I'd almost forgotten they even had D1 hockey, and now I've heard about them twice in 2 days.

Comment

Hmm. I'd always assumed that the reason for the later Friday start was to give people time to get home from work, have dinner, etc. before heading to the game. I wonder if it will affect attendance?
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Glad to see the "House of Horrors" will be undergoing a change. That 8-7 Purple Mav victory over the Pioneers still is indelibly
                      etched as one of the strangest and most unsettling memories--Unbelievable!
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                        Glad to see the "House of Horrors" will be undergoing a change. That 8-7 Purple Mav victory over the Pioneers still is indelibly etched as one of the strangest and most unsettling memories--Unbelievable!
                        Funny, I have very fond memories of that evening.
                        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                          Funny, I have very fond memories of that evening.
                          I remember it fondly as well. Not too many people can claim they were still there at that point though.
                          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

I remember that night very well. Was living in California at the time and was listening to Sully on the computer. As each goal was scored my yelling must have gotten louder, and after the winning goal was scored, my wife was thinking I had a heart attack

Comment

I remember it fondly as well. Not too many people can claim they were still there at that point though.
                              I never leave games before they're over.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                                I never leave games before they're over.
                                Me neither. I don't turn them off either. I was at that game and it was truly a sight to behold. Never forget it.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X