X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Realignment?

[QUOTE=Nosferatu;5939330]
    Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Conference Tournament, First Weekend: #1 hosts #6, #2 hosts #5, #3 hosts #4 in an best two out of three at the highest seed.

This should be the old system of 2 games-total goals; seeing a team leading by 1 goal pulling the goalie in desperation is a thing to see!

I l
    This sounds like something from the BottomFeedersBracket thread
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      I think we should combine the Big 10, NCHC and WCHA and call it the Dead Horse League.
      Yeah, but then everyone would be beating it.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        I think we should combine the Big 10, NCHC and WCHA and call it the Dead Horse League.
        Quit stealing my tag line, or you'll be hearing from my attorney

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferatu View Post
          This should be the old system of 2 games-total goals; seeing a team leading by 1 goal pulling the goalie in desperation is a thing to see!
          I remember BSU and Huntsville playing two games (not total goals) for the 1994 NCAA D-II title. Each team won a game, UAH 5-3 and BSU 2-1, so they then played a one period mini game to decide the champion. The mini game ended tied, so then they played a sudden death overtime. BSU won 2-1!
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

The 2game-total goals used to be common practice in tournament play. CCHA did it back in the late 70s early 80s. The NCAA used it in first round games back when the tournament was just 8 teams. I remember in 1984 BG lost at Boston U Friday 6-3, then had to go to overtime Saturday to win 5-1. Always thought it was a pretty goofy format.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
              The 2game-total goals used to be common practice in tournament play. CCHA did it back in the late 70s early 80s. The NCAA used it in first round games back when the tournament was just 8 teams. I remember in 1984 BG lost at Boston U Friday 6-3, then had to go to overtime Saturday to win 5-1. Always thought it was a pretty goofy format.
              The NCAA used it at the D-II level in the 80s as well. BSU played many total goal series during that time frame.

You could see the "pull the goalie while up 3" in the championship round robin if all three teams could end up tied and it comes down to goal differential.
              Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

3 separate 6-team conferences, each with their own auto-bid.
                Call them whatever you like.

BG, WMU, Miami, Ferris, Mankato, Huntsville
                Lake, NMU, MTU, Duluth, St Cloud, Fairbanks
                CC, Denver, Omaha, NDak, Bemidji, Anchorage

Play each opponent in your own conference 4x (20 games) then either 1 opponent from each of the other conferences 2x (one home series, one away) for a 24 game schedule, OR 2 opponents from each of the other conferences 2x, for a 28 game schedule. All games among members of the three conferences count as conference games.

Conference by-laws include:
                $50,000 fine to any school that accepts B1G contracts without 1-1 or 2-2 reciprocation.
                1 million dollar exit fee
                No shootouts

Somebody else can figure out what to do about conference tournaments.
                Flip Mankato and LSSU and you've got a winner.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  North Dakota and Denver are way too super for such a conference.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    I considered that, but figured all three Yoopers would want to be together.
                    Felt a bit sorry for Mankato in my plan, but figured somebody would have to be isolated.
                    Looking at the map, however, your way does make more sense.

A: BG, Miami, WMU, Ferris, LSSU, UAH
                    B: Mankato, St Cloud, MTU. NMU, Duluth, Fairbanks
                    C: Bemidji, NDak, Omaha, CC, Denver, Anchorage

I can already hears the Alaskans *****ing about being split up. Deal with it. They were split up for the last how-ever many years. This year was the first time in modern history they've been together.

Also, I'd think it would be worthwhile to ask the NCAA to make a special exception for hockey. Take into account the extreme distance Huntsville is from ANY possible opponents, and give schools who play there an extra two games like they do for Alaska. It would be good for the long term health of UAH and whatever conference they belong to.

Hey, how about this for tournament:
                    All three conferences have 1st round at campus sites (6@3, 5@4) 1 & 2 get byes.
                    Then bring the two survivors and the byes FROM ALL 3 to a neutral site for single elimination semi and championship.
                    Conference A semis Friday at 130pm and 5pm.
                    Conference B semis Friday at 830pm and Saturday at 130pm
                    Conference C semis Saturday at 5 and 830pm
                    All 3 finals Sunday: 130, 500 and 830
                    Call it College Hockey Nirvana.

Comment

The NCHC and WCHA will merge, creating the only Super-conference in American Collegiate Hockey.
                      We already tried this in 2012-13, it was called the WCHA. Even with a super conference, it won't be big enough for some of the egos associated with member teams. The only way this plan would work would be a to have a two team division called "Screw You Guys" and another division for all the other teams called "The Rest of You". The SYG division would also get 100% of the conference profits and both autobids as clearly no one in the other division would be good enough to be worthy of one. There would also be no cross division play. Both divisions would be play 28 conference games. In the SYG division, they would just play with each other for the entire season.
                      Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I considered that, but figured all three Yoopers would want to be together.
                        Felt a bit sorry for Mankato in my plan, but figured somebody would have to be isolated.
                        Looking at the map, however, your way does make more sense.

A: BG, Miami, WMU, Ferris, LSSU, UAH
                        B: Mankato, St Cloud, MTU. NMU, Duluth, Fairbanks
                        C: Bemidji, NDak, Omaha, CC, Denver, Anchorage

I can already hears the Alaskans *****ing about being split up. Deal with it. They were split up for the last how-ever many years. This year was the first time in modern history they've been together.

Also, I'd think it would be worthwhile to ask the NCAA to make a special exception for hockey. Take into account the extreme distance Huntsville is from ANY possible opponents, and give schools who play there an extra two games like they do for Alaska. It would be good for the long term health of UAH and whatever conference they belong to.

Hey, how about this for tournament:
                        All three conferences have 1st round at campus sites (6@3, 5@4) 1 & 2 get byes.
                        Then bring the two survivors and the byes FROM ALL 3 to a neutral site for single elimination semi and championship.
                        Conference A semis Friday at 130pm and 5pm.
                        Conference B semis Friday at 830pm and Saturday at 130pm
                        Conference C semis Saturday at 5 and 830pm
                        All 3 finals Sunday: 130, 500 and 830
                        Call it College Hockey Nirvana.
                        With the championship weekend, you would have to go Thursday, Friday, Saturday as the NCAA does their selection/seeding on Sunday. I don't think they would want to wait until 11:30 Sunday night to take care of that.

I don't think UAH would get that travel exemption, they are not as "isolated" as everyone thinks (I have made the trip five times). Yes, they are an outlier, but in their "conference", Lake State is the furthest away at 13 and a half hours according to Bing Maps, while the other "leagues" would only be making the trip every other year. Detroit has, I believe, direct flights into Huntsville that take an hour and a half. Or you can fly into Atlanta or Nashville from MSP and drive to Huntsville (3 and a half hours or two hours respectively), or hit a connection somewhere and get to Huntsville.

The Alaskas are "isolated" with it being at least five hours by plane and don't even try driving it.
                        Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          We already tried this in 2012-13, it was called the WCHA. Even with a super conference, it won't be big enough for some of the egos associated with member teams. The only way this plan would work would be a to have a two team division called "Screw You Guys" and another division for all the other teams called "The Rest of You". The SYG division would also get 100% of the conference profits and both autobids as clearly no one in the other division would be good enough to be worthy of one. There would also be no cross division play. Both divisions would be play 28 conference games. In the SYG division, they would just play with each other for the entire season.
                          Ryan J
                          Imagine the rivalry the would develop in the SYG Division as those two schools have had some heated battles already! 28 games of it, WOW!!!!
                          Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Imagine the rivalry the would develop in the SYG Division as those two schools have had some heated battles already! 28 games of it, WOW!!!!

By game 25 it would devolve to 3 on 3 hockey due to injuries and suspensions. No goalie, just the net on its side. Fans getting smacked by pucks from "Ice it, I need to breathe" breaks. Mayhem, Riots, hospitals overflowing, police, tear gas,...

Best Idea on the Thread!!!

Comment

By game 25 it would devolve to 3 on 3 hockey due to injuries and suspensions. No goalie, just the net on its side. Fans getting smacked by pucks from "Ice it, I need to breathe" breaks. Mayhem, Riots, hospitals overflowing, police, tear gas,...
                              ...record DUI/MIP arrests.

Comment

Subscribed to yet another WCHA realignment thread...
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X