Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

i do not think just because you are offered a scholarship,you automatically make the roster all 4 years your in school.i think every team goes through this type of thing from time to time

Comment

Let's see. No recruits in the NHL draft, no one on the World Juniors team......I guess the good news is no one will be leaving early, by choice anyways. The cup is half full with Sneddon and team...Honestly that is how College hockey should be but the reality is it is not so you have to play the game to be competitive in D1 Semi Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
        Let's see. No recruits in the NHL draft, no one on the World Juniors team......I guess the good news is no one will be leaving early, by choice anyways. The cup is half full with Sneddon and team...Honestly that is how College hockey should be but the reality is it is not so you have to play the game to be competitive in D1 Semi Pro.
        I'll readily admit NHL draft picks can make an impact on a team, no doubt, but I think you're dismissing the quality of the recruiting class a bit too fast/harsh. I'm psyched to see D that can get involved in scoring some goals.

Comment

Let's see. No recruits in the NHL draft ...
          2014 NCAA Division I national champion Union: 1 NHL draftee. Not comparing programs; just noting number of NHL draftees not absolute criteria to victory. Certainly helps, but a team without numerous NHL draftees can win, particularly if top players remain in school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
            I'll readily admit NHL draft picks can make an impact on a team, no doubt, but I think you're dismissing the quality of the recruiting class a bit too fast/harsh. I'm psyched to see D that can get involved in scoring some goals.
            I hope the trend from last year continues and we don't drop back to the previous 5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4th liner View Post
              2014 NCAA Division I national champion Union: 1 NHL draftee. Not comparing programs; just noting number of NHL draftees not absolute criteria to victory. Certainly helps, but a team without numerous NHL draftees can win, particularly if top players remain in school.
              And that player was HUGE in their run to the championship. I do agree having some consultancy of players helps. A lot of those draftees stay 1-2 years.

Comment

And that player was HUGE in their run to the championship. I do agree having some consultancy of players helps. A lot of those draftees stay 1-2 years.
                Keep in mind that UVM does have draft picks on the roster, none from this years incoming class... but its not like we are devoid of draft picks. Besides, Puskarich wasn't drafted but won HE rookie of the year, beating out all of those draft picks... being drafted is hardly a ticket to success just the same as not being drafted means you won't go anywhere.

I think the program has done well actually getting guys to the NHL in recent years and I expect to see more breaking in. McCarthy won't toil in the AHL for long.
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

How hard will it be to get tickets to two games against Maine? Do I need to be on my computer right at 9:00 on Monday or do I have a bit longer than that? Thanks in advance.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    How hard will it be to get tickets to two games against Maine? Do I need to be on my computer right at 9:00 on Monday or do I have a bit longer than that? Thanks in advance.
                    Always tough to say with the Gutt, but I suspect you shouldn't have a difficult time.

Comment

Awful quiet on this thread (time for a new one?), especially with the season 2-3 weeks away. I already have my tickets for the Northeastern game on 10/11/14; excited for the season to start.

Interested on people's thoughts on the team:

- Will Bradley, Fallon and Pusckarich be the top line? Will Sneddon (seemingly) put all his offensive horses on one line? I'd like to see Shaw on the first line (although that might double load one side of the ice, I can't remember) and split some of the offense up (i.e. I thik they need more than one line that can put the puck in the net)

- How will Reynolds respond after a year off due to injury? Will he be counted on as a top 6 forward? I'd like to see him take a leadership role on the team and most importantly put up some numbers. Did he get a red-shirt for last year or is this his final year of eligibility?

- Net. Hoffman and Santa splitting time again or does Sneddon try to establish a #1. I think if either is going to be the #1, it will be Brody. He just brings just a little more to the table and if he's hot can win you games on his own. I'm ok with the platoon for the regular season, but down the strech and (dare I say) playoffs, I'll like to see an established #1.

- This is a young team, so I'm interested in seeing how they start. Hopefully they can put up some points at the start of the season, to build confidence/momentum.

- Coaching. Does Sneddon cripple the team or does he let them play? Talking mostly about the d-line stepping up in the offensive zone/attack. It can lead to great offensive hockey/results, but also to mistakes/goals on the other end. How much of a leash will Hamilton/Phillips have?

Can't wait for the games to start. Go Cats!
                      Last edited by UVM - Bruin; 09-22-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM - Bruin View Post

Interested on people's thoughts on the team:

- Will Bradley, Fallon and Pusckarich be the top line? Will Sneddon (seemingly) put all his offensive horses on one line? I'd like to see Shaw on the first line (although that might double load one side of the ice, I can't remember) and split some of the offense up (i.e. I thik they need more than one line that can put the puck in the net)

- Net. Hoffman and Santa splitting time again or does Sneddon try to establish a #1. I think if either is going to be the #1, it will be Brody. He just brings just a little more to the table and if he's hot can win you games on his own. I'm ok with the platoon for the regular season, but down the strech and (dare I say) playoffs, I'll like to see an established #1.
                        Rotation to start with for sure and that will continue throughout the season unless someone isn't playing well, injured, etc. There will be 1a and 1b, who is 1a is debatable, Hoffman stepped it up last year compared to his freshman year and that was in part due to having a full season with a dedicated goalie coach. Even still Santaguida gave him a run for his money and was actually the 1a guy heading into the stretch until an injury. This season Santaguida will have had that full season with a goalie coach and will be improved over last year. So discount him as the #1 guy this season at your own risk. Regardless, what a nice debate to be having...

- This is a young team, so I'm interested in seeing how they start. Hopefully they can put up some points at the start of the season, to build confidence/momentum.
                        The schedule is pretty brutal to start the season, but in this league it's always going to be brutal. A game against NU right off the bat will be important. NU should be really good this year, if the Cats can take that first win they will gain some early confidence, a loss could snowball early in the year with 6 league games against ND, UMO, and PC.

- Coaching. Does Sneddon cripple the team or does he let them play? Talking mostly about the d-line stepping up in the offensive zone/attack. It can lead to great offensive hockey/results, but also to mistakes/goals on the other end. How much of a leash will Hamilton/Phillips have?
                        Hamilton seemed to get plenty of slack in the leash. It looks like he wants the D to step up, as long as they aren't taking dumb penalties.

Comment

Well I know we are supposed to have a good recruiting class again this year. But aside from the top line last year, it doesn't look like we received many points from the supporting cast? Can we have the realistic expectation that any of the freshman or Turk/Markison etc. can step up and score 10-15 goals this year?
                          Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                          National Champions 1992, 2001
                          21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                          National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                          Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Originally posted by VermontfaninNY View Post
                            Well I know we are supposed to have a good recruiting class again this year. But aside from the top line last year, it doesn't look like we received many points from the supporting cast? Can we have the realistic expectation that any of the freshman or Turk/Markison etc. can step up and score 10-15 goals this year?
                            No.

Markison has seemingly Matt Marshall Syndrome... looks like he should be potting 10-15 goals but never comes close. Turk is a maybe. That line last year was awesome shutting down top lines and earning the puck back, unfortunately they never really developed any offense, 90% of the time as soon as someone from that line crossed the blue line they threw the puck on net and that was the end of it. What was worse, many times they had numbers and yet no one ever skated it in more then a stride or two across the line. IF Forgionne and Turk can learn to keep skating with the puck and try and set up a play, pass or even just make a move on the defender to screen a shot then they can put up some numbers. But if they are going to contribute to offense the way they do to the defense they are going to need to stop throwing weak wristers on net from the blue line.

The offense is going to have to come from :

Puskarich
                            Reynolds
                            Fallon
                            Shaw
                            Bradley

And in reality those guys should be fine and will give two pretty decent top lines. The Turk/Forgionne line will get another digger and will continue as a shut down line, and hopefully some of the Frosh can step in and contribute some as well.

The big improvement should be on D. Hamilton will have another year of experience, Paliotta had a great season last year... Luukko is a solid defensive d-man along. When you throw in Priviterra and Philips it's going to be tough to crack the line up on D. Pattyn is solid as well, and the D should be a strength along with goaltending.

If the offense produces at all like they are capable of , this team will be just fine.

Comment

I didn't realize that they were used that heavily in a Patrice Bergeron/Sean Couturier type role. That being said, if they were that effective at it last year, I like the idea that they have a designated shutdown line on the team.
                              Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                              National Champions 1992, 2001
                              21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                              National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                              Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Picked 8th by coaches and tie for 7th by media. No respect. Can't remember the picks last year but think we were even lower, maybe 9/10 area.

Agree with the commentary that Cats will be offensively challenged up front per usual but that the offensive improvement might come from the D. Phillips comes with big accolades out of Canada. Goaltending should be average or better. so not a weakness at least. Santa is overrated though, he's too small. remember Madore senior year, marginal D, and lack of confidence with small frame = brutal. They go as far as Hoffman carries the team with some young and fallable D.

Key questions that drive final standings for Cats are:

1. Does an upperclassmen or two step up? Fallon or Reynolds seem most likely. Fallon can be a monster when he's going, need to see that from him 100% of the time.
                                2. Do any of the Sophs rise? Shaw was impressive at times late last season, he has the makings of a successful power forward. I don't expect Puskarich to get better, but if he loses nothing with the absence of McCarthy that would be a good result. Bradley has upside potential, not certain it will arrive. I expect more from Shaw based on what I saw 2nd half last year.
                                3. Do any of the freshman forwards step in and contribute? Not sure we have any gems in there, but interested to see.
                                4. Do the new D add scoring in our favor without giving up too much the other way (are they last years Hamilton or more upside, less D liability)? This is the largest question mark in my mind and the tipping point. If they are truly offensive without being too leaky defensively then this team has some legs. I think it will be marginal though, the offensive D men always seem to get toasted by the HE forward skills. I do like that Hoffman can cover some net as we are going to probably have some leaky D to go with the increased offense.
                                5. Is Paliotta the monster this year that I expect. He was very solid last year, our best D season in a while. With another year I expect big things. I think Luukko will be solid also.
                                6. Does Hamilton sit or play? He was a defensive liability last year, cost the Cats a couple of games with bad untimely turnovers.

Looking forward to the games, not the exhibition though, so hard to draw any conclusions in a game that does not matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X