Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
    Obviously in the battle of wits, your counterpart is unarmed!!
    No, she is just a little emotional. Could be that that time of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      Have to say I am a bit confused by this remark? Sneddon came in 2003? Everyone in the class of 2011 was recruited by Sneddon?
      Wrong. The Majority of the 2009 team was recruited prior to Sneddon. Back up 4 years plus 1 year of juniors..the juniors, Seniors, and some of the Sophmore class on that team were not recruited by Sneddon.

Comment

IMO, the UVM players gave gave us a lot of excitement all season. Rarely were they out-of-the-game and always skated it out.
        I'm a fan who is less enthralled with winning or losing and more interested is watching good hockey on both sides.UVM gave me that.
        To me, there is nothing more exciting than watching two teams, 5 on 5,going end-to-end displaying the multiple skills required of hockey with little interruption.
        The difficulty the college game has is the apparently overwhelming need for the refs to blow down every infraction,no matter how insignificant, creating,to me, the most boring part of hockey,the power play(except for those watching the score sheet)
        Dont get me wrong, refereeing is a very difficult chore,just watch international hockey,but really......
        The AHL/NHL has figured it out,why not the college game?

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
          Wrong. The Majority of the 2009 team was recruited prior to Sneddon. Back up 4 years plus 1 year of juniors..the juniors, Seniors, and some of the Sophmore class on that team were not recruited by Sneddon.
          Who?

Madore was recruited by Sneddon... heck Fallon was recruited by Sneddon 4 years prior... Who was recruited by Gilligan prior to 2003 that finally matriculated 4 years later in 2007? Certainly not a "majority of the team." But I would be interested in knowing who waited 4 years before actually entering the school.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Who?

Madore was recruited by Sneddon... heck Fallon was recruited by Sneddon 4 years prior... Who was recruited by Gilligan prior to 2003 that finally matriculated 4 years later in 2007? Certainly not a "majority of the team." But I would be interested in knowing who waited 4 years before actually entering the school.
            Lenes, Irwin, Vock, Roloff, Medvec are the ones that come to the top of my head and Stahlberg called us, he wasn't recruited in the classic sense of the word..."majority" is probably not entirely correct but alot of the go to guys were prior to Sneddon

Comment

Lenes, Irwin, Vock, Roloff, Medvec are the ones that come to the top of my head and Stahlberg called us, he wasn't recruited in the classic sense of the word..."majority" is probably not entirely correct but alot of the go to guys were prior to Sneddon
              Lenes didn't play on the 2011 team.
              Vock came in 2006, 3 years after Sneddon started as did Roloff? Was Gilligan really recruiting kids 4 years out?

Irwin was recruited really early... that one I remember.

Whatever, time will tell.

Comment

Lenes didn't play on the 2011 team.
                Vock came in 2006, 3 years after Sneddon started as did Roloff? Was Gilligan really recruiting kids 4 years out?

Irwin was recruited really early... that one I remember.

Whatever, time will tell.
                They were in frozen four in 2009 that is the team I am talking about not sure what you mean by 2011. Vock committed in 2004 shortly after Sneddon got here DiGiulian was responsible for most of those guys, Sneddon had seen very few of them play at all.

Comment

Alot of that has to do with being a member of HE and alot of that has to do with his benefiting from some recruiting prior to his arrival with the class of 2011 and Victor Stallberg.
                  Have to say I am a bit confused by this remark? Sneddon came in 2003? Everyone in the class of 2011 was recruited by Sneddon?
                  They were in frozen four in 2009 that is the team I am talking about not sure what you mean by 2011. Vock committed in 2004 shortly after Sneddon got here DiGiulian was responsible for most of those guys, Sneddon had seen very few of them play at all.
                  You said the class of 2011.

Right, so Sneddon's Asst coach was responsible for most of them... And Vock committed under Sneddon not Gilligan so he was a Sneddon recruit.

I get your not a fan of Sneddon and that's perfectly fine, but you are wrong in trying to dismiss his best season as just being lucky under someone elses recruits and lucky because of Stalberg. Stalberg was lucky, but every coach gets lucky here and there. York got lucky that Gaudreau was able to get out of his committment to NU. Deheney was lucky with Da Costa... Whitehead was lucky with Nyquist... Parker was lucky with Gilroy... So yeah, he got lucky with Stalberg but he benefited from having a good recruiter, not from someone elses recruiter...

When DiGiulian left that was a big blow... and we saw what happened under Michelletto. I get the fact the buck stops with Sneddon, but in the end even though he is "responsible" for everything, he has to trust the people around him too.

Comment

You said the class of 2011.

Right, so Sneddon's Asst coach was responsible for most of them... And Vock committed under Sneddon not Gilligan so he was a Sneddon recruit.

I get your not a fan of Sneddon and that's perfectly fine, but you are wrong in trying to dismiss his best season as just being lucky under someone elses recruits and lucky because of Stalberg. Stalberg was lucky, but every coach gets lucky here and there. York got lucky that Gaudreau was able to get out of his committment to NU. Deheney was lucky with Da Costa... Whitehead was lucky with Nyquist... Parker was lucky with Gilroy... So yeah, he got lucky with Stalberg but he benefited from having a good recruiter, not from someone elses recruiter...

When DiGiulian left that was a big blow... and we saw what happened under Michelletto. I get the fact the buck stops with Sneddon, but in the end even though he is "responsible" for everything, he has to trust the people around him too.
                    ooops on the 2011 I thought we were on the same page..

I actually don't think the recruiting has been entirely the story either. By saying that Micheletto was the problem, you are saying that Lentz, Brickley, Paliotta, Hamilton, Luukko, Reynolds, Brunneteau, Paytn, Wahls, White and others were bad recruits. They were ALL recruited by Michelleto. I just feel Sneddon never develops anyone so they peak in their Senior year like other good coaches, he just slots kids and then looks for greener grass the next year. Union had kids that are all playing their best hockey as seniors because they have been coached so well over their 4 years. Maybe Im not making sense but I feel as a result of his failure with development and coaching, it is all too convenient to blame it on recruiting. Thus in my previous post is why I said Paliotta was an exception to this but many others have digressed. Puskarich is clearly a good recruit so far and with great development will be beyond special his senior year so I think he will be a great gauge over time. Hamilton looks to have the tools but.....Time will tell if the recruiting of Kevin Patrick and Power Play Patrick will really make a difference.

Comment

I think folks are getting into some of the harder hitting / more interesting questions and it'd be nice if the media asked the UVM coaching staff / reported. Don't hold your breath on getting any dirt on past employees. Perhaps there could be a question asked of Sneddon to contrast the different assistant coaches he's had and (be ready to have it built right into the questions) why the current assistants are the best and how the program is going in the right direction.

I would say the team seemed more successful with DiGuilian recruiting but we def got higher profile recruits under Micheletto. Why is that? This also points out how critical the assistant coaches are. The comments about Sneddon not seeing recruits until they are on campus...? What are people expecting? He pretty much has to be on campus every weekday for practice and then has games every weekend. In his off-season I doubt there is that much hockey being played. OK, sure, Sneddon is getting familiar with some of his recruits when they get to campus but how many coaches have seen their recruits play much before getting to campus?

Comment

My 2-cents: Sneddon's first few recruiting classes were real good, a nice mix of slightly older more established players and some younger ones with upside. Whether that was DiGiulian or Sneddon doesn't really matter IMO because Sneddon is (or should be) in charge of the type of recruiting/players they are going after. After making the F4, seemed to me that they went after more of the younger more highly touted "hot prospects" and several of them didn't pan out - either didn't matriculate or mediocre when they got here. Its hard to project how a 14-16 year old will develop and the pressures from Major Junior mean that the better ones are often gone by the time they are 17-18, not to mention that the BIG BIG programs like BC, Michigan, Minny etc. scoop up the ones that are more sure bets. I don't totally fault the coaches for trying to use the notoriety of the F4 to take the program to a consistent higher level of recruiting, but the fact is it didn't work. I think last year's recruits were a step in the right direction and next fall's looks like a good group too. Very bullish on the D-corps with big guys like Paliotta, Luukko, Senkbeil and the younger more mobile ones like Hamilton, Muscoby, Privitera, & Ferguson. If Hoffman comes back strong again, the Cats will be a very tough team to play against.. and that's what I'm hoping to see.
                        Last edited by VTinNY; 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

On a side note . I went to game 5 Rangers/Flyers and St. Louis was the best player on the ice... (Thus 1st star of the game).. He looks at home in MSG...

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                            On a side note . I went to game 5 Rangers/Flyers and St. Louis was the best player on the ice... (Thus 1st star of the game).. He looks at home in MSG...
                            I think Kevan Miller has played really well too. I was never a huge fan of his play at UVM but think he has done well with the Bruins.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                              I think Kevan Miller has played really well too. I was never a huge fan of his play at UVM but think he has done well with the Bruins.
                              And his toughness is getting better every game!!

Comment

Is it just me or has the Burlington Free Press format gotten worse?

Comment

Working...
                                X