Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Have to agree that the recruiting seems to be picking up nicely. It's encouraging. Phillips in particular looks like a good get for this incoming class. The accolades he received from last season are promising. Hopefully the Cats will gel and push for another NCAA bid.

I don't expect they have a McCarthy on the squad this season but Fallon will be strong. And getting Reynolds back will help fill the offensive gap. Overall I expect to see a bit more depth but a less dominating first line. Probably about even themselves out. Goaltending will be a key while the new D get acclimated.

Looking forward to it.

Comment

McCarthy improved his numbers every year, I'm wondering who's going to take the biggest step forward. I'm looking to Hamilton, Shaw, or Bradley. I don't think any can contribute the way McCarthy did last year, but I think is potential for each of them to have a bigger impact. Do you think any of the frosh are going to consistently make the top line this year? Eager to see the 1st game for sure, see what things are looking like. Seems to me this year brings more questions then usual. Partially because of who's moved on but also because of who's coming in. Curious to see where Senkbeil fits in. Wondering to what extent A. Privitera's contributions canceled out by penalties. Would be great to see Markison and Fallon have a better year than last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
        Do you think any of the frosh are going to consistently make the top line this year?
        I personally do not think you will see any frosh on the top line, not necessarily because they aren't skilled enough, but because of the depth. Puskarich, Fallon, Reynolds, Shaw, Bradley... Unless someone comes in and puts up numbers like Puskarich, at best they are looking at 2nd line.

Last year was different with Reynolds going out so early. The top line was pretty well set with McCarthy-Fallon-Reynolds, once Reynolds went out there really wasn't a top notch scorer to fill the role. Brickley, White, Lenz were more role players not offensive scorers and Puskarich was.

I do think Alexx will contribute and I am assuming he has matured a little and Sneddon has made the situation clear. A lot of penalties and he will be riding the pine, look no further then Walls. Granted I expect more offense from Privitera then Walls but too many penalties isn't going to cut it, there is enough depth that I expect it won't be tolerated.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

it's going to fun to watch the mobile defensemen move the puck up the ice and join in the offense . Union certainly made a strong case for that style of hockey .this type of skill set might be as important as a goal scorer as far as recruiting goes.it will be interesting to see how many hockey east teams adopt that style of play--

Comment

Originally posted by dwb View Post
            it's going to fun to watch the mobile defensemen move the puck up the ice and join in the offense . Union certainly made a strong case for that style of hockey .this type of skill set might be as important as a goal scorer as far as recruiting goes.it will be interesting to see how many hockey east teams adopt that style of play--
            A dman rushing the puck up ice in the Sneddon system...........???????? I would be shocked if that happened for more than a game or two until he panics after the first turnover and buttons the d down and starts counting hits again. He clearly was saying that in his press conference to please the incoming recruits and the masses but has obviously shown in his tenure he doesn't know how to execute and teach that type of play. I wouldn't expect a change in his style of d anytime soon. You know....leopards just dont...

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
              ....but has obviously shown in his tenure he doesn't know how to execute and teach that type of play.
              I really don't think you can teach offense to a d man....you either have it or you don't. If you don't have it and try to rush the puck, I can see the clamps being applied. However, if you have the skill set as an offensive d man and you turn the puck over the odd time, Coach Sneddon will take the bad with the good. If you turn it over consistently, as a player, you may have to re-evaluate your skill set.....obviously not an offensive d. The other thing is that most d with an offensive skill set are excellent skaters. This allows them to recover quickly if indeed they turn the puck over. Can't say I have seen that type of D in Sneddon's stable lately!
              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

A dman rushing the puck up ice in the Sneddon system...........???????? I would be shocked if that happened for more than a game or two until he panics after the first turnover and buttons the d down and starts counting hits again. He clearly was saying that in his press conference to please the incoming recruits and the masses but has obviously shown in his tenure he doesn't know how to execute and teach that type of play. I wouldn't expect a change in his style of d anytime soon. You know....leopards just dont...
                Hamilton? He certainly turned the puck over... too many times, and yet he did not sit the bench and Sneddon still sat Walls ( the only D-man to really hit anyone). It's clear he is trying to change the way the defense works... whether it works remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                  Hamilton? He certainly turned the puck over... too many times, and yet he did not sit the bench and Sneddon still sat Walls ( the only D-man to really hit anyone). It's clear he is trying to change the way the defense works... whether it works remains to be seen.

Yes he got a goal in his first game and 3 of his 12 points in his first weekend and 6 of his 12 in the first 6 games...then his style was cramped, confidence diminished, and the clamps sunk in. Trust me, Nick Luukko has alot more hockey sense than Hamilton and developed in a much better Junior league and look what has happened to his offensive confidence. It is what it is but I would not have any crazy expectations as far as seeing any offense from our d core.

Comment

• Kyle mountain to UNO.

Comment

Kyle mountain to UNO.
                      Can't blame him, he wasn't going to get a whole lot of playing time. Sneddon is bringing in a ton of recruits the past few years and a lot of the guys are going to leave when they see the writing on the wall. As new recruits come in and the style of recruit is matched better to where the program wants to be heading I think things will calm down, until then you are going to see more of this.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        Can't blame him, he wasn't going to get a whole lot of playing time. Sneddon is bringing in a ton of recruits the past few years and a lot of the guys are going to leave when they see the writing on the wall. As new recruits come in and the style of recruit is matched better to where the program wants to be heading I think things will calm down, until then you are going to see more of this.
                        I hope you are right but I dont see it. This is chronic and has happened consistently in the Sneddon era. Keep in mind that Walls was Sneddons glory recruit less than 48 months ago. Not sure how he gets away with it with the AD but never the less..Dean Blais is a terrific coach and wouldn't take a kid without doing some homework. Good luck to Kyle! I always like the way he played...never gave away a shift.

Comment

Where did this information come from?

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            Where did this information come from?
                            We should let cat man poo take over the program. He seems to know more than anyone else. Or how about take your negativity and go root for bu.

Good luck to kyle mountain. He was not going to get a lot of PT with improved depth on the roster

Comment

A new recruit.

Over The Boards @OTBPuckWatch ยท 6h
                              96 F Ace Cowans (Groton) commits to Vermont. 5'7 forward with a lot of skill and speed to spare, led Groton with 24-31-55 in 25 games.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                                We should let cat man poo take over the program. He seems to know more than anyone else. Or how about take your negativity and go root for bu.

Good luck to kyle mountain. He was not going to get a lot of PT with improved depth on the roster
                                Since I heard Sneddon told him he could not return I guess you are correct. By increased depth do you mean Stenerson, McKinney, and Turk or who are you referring to?

Comment

Working...
                                X