Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

The pressure is going to be on Hamilton next to play smarter. I think he could go the same way. The Free Press highlights there are 2 D out, 4 in and on paper two of them can replace if not upgrade Walls and Bruno.

Comment

With Privitera and Sankbeil coming in the writing was on the wall for Walls (no pun intended). Forcing players out is never a desirable thing to do and can lead to a bad rep for the coaching staff when recruiting, but reality is his skill set can be replaced and likely improved upon. IMO he was never considered a top recruit and were hoping he would fill the solid physical #5 or 6 d-man role. I like that the d-corps is going in the direction of better skaters who can handle the puck, which as we saw with Union can be an advantage. To me the crapshoot is whether Privitera implodes either on the ice or off-ice. He only has 2 years left so he will likely either be a boon or a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by VTinNY View Post
        With Privitera and Sankbeil coming in the writing was on the wall for Walls (no pun intended). Forcing players out is never a desirable thing to do and can lead to a bad rep for the coaching staff when recruiting, but reality is his skill set can be replaced and likely improved upon. IMO he was never considered a top recruit and were hoping he would fill the solid physical #5 or 6 d-man role. I like that the d-corps is going in the direction of better skaters who can handle the puck, which as we saw with Union can be an advantage. To me the crapshoot is whether Privitera implodes either on the ice or off-ice. He only has 2 years left so he will likely either be a boon or a bust.
        I'd be disappointed in the UVM program IF Walls was on an athletic scholarship and it was somehow retracted and that forced him out. I highly doubt that's the case. I expect the feedback he got was 'Dude, time to shape up if you expect to get any ice time next year. Otherwise expect to be on the PK in practice. No offence but it is what it is.'

Comment

Wow the keyboard coaches are at it again! I can't believe how some of you can't wait to jump to conclusions without having a clue as to what transpires behind closed doors. Maybe Walls decided school wasn't for him or maybe trying pro was his choice. It has been very obvious since he has been at UVM that his style was not in favor of the league or officials. I also recall many of you praising him for his aggressive and physical play last season but it was sure easy to jump ship so to speak when he fell out of favor. Ya maybe he isn't the prettiest skater but he was rarely beaten by the offence or in the corners. When UVM finally figures out that all the other teams have big strong defence and are losing again because all offensive defencemen works SO well in any league and the keyboard coaches are complaining again that there needs to be changes at D just remember that the Cats had a very strong physical stay at home D that is now trying pro where his style is acceptable. Also I would highly doubt to see Sankbeil at defence, there must be a reason that NoDak wouldn't play him there. If you look at his youtube videos there is enough evidence right there.

Comment

Maybe Walls saw the incoming talent and looked at his unfortunate propensity for penalties and decided he might not play much and decided to leave.

Palliatta staying is a nice atta boy for the coaching staff and Phillips looks like an enormous get. Have we ever landed a canadian national award winning defenceman? Plus puskarich was league mvp and turned out nicely so far. Phillips was league and all Canada award winner. Can't wait to hear how catmandoo is going to make this a negative

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
              I'd be disappointed in the UVM program IF Walls was on an athletic scholarship and it was somehow retracted and that forced him out. I highly doubt that's the case. I expect the feedback he got was 'Dude, time to shape up if you expect to get any ice time next year. Otherwise expect to be on the PK in practice. No offence but it is what it is.'
              I would bet this was all Wall's idea, with those coming in and the teams need for scoring a player with 2 goals in 2 years (both in the same game) and all
              those PM he wasn't likely to play much and he did what was best for him. Hate to give up an Education but that is his choice.
              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Walls wasn't going to see much ice time, and it's not all his fault. The fact is he plays a very hard physical game and HE officials have made it clear that type of play isn't going to happen in this league. If you breath hard on someone you are going to the box. It has hurt several players, Brickely wasn't exactly brought in as a scorer, he was brought in because he was a punishing forward, something this league frowns upon. Walls plays that style of game and as a result he was a liability on the ice, at this stage he wasn't going to overhaul his game so he had to make a decision and the best route was to go somewhere else. He can be a very good defensive d-man in the right league, it just isn't HE.

Is that a reflection on the coaching staff? Tough call.

The important thing to keep in mind here is that this isn't pee wees and ice time is not a guarantee. You contribute or not... this idea of a coaching staff pushing players out is a bit off the wall, the staff needs to fill the necessary roster spots with the best players each and every season. Some players are not going to fit into that category. That doesn't mean they were pushed out, the roster changes every year and a marginal player may fall out of the line up. Look at Decenzo,
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Drew MacKenzie on 2014 ECHL Kelly Cup-winning Alaska Aces while fellow alum Rob Madore took home MVP honors in defeat for Cincinnati Cyclones:
                  http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...natti-cyclones
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                    Drew MacKenzie on 2014 ECHL Kelly Cup-winning Alaska Aces while fellow alum Rob Madore took home MVP honors in defeat for Cincinnati Cyclones:
                    http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...natti-cyclones
                    I had heard the Madore / MacKenzie didn't get along... Anybody else ever hear that? And I wonder how Madore managed to get the MVP in a 4-0 loss. He must have had some ____ D in front of him.

Comment

I had heard the Madore / MacKenzie didn't get along... Anybody else ever hear that? And I wonder how Madore managed to get the MVP in a 4-0 loss. He must have had some ____ D in front of him.
                      It was a 6 game series so I would assume the honor was for the play during all 6.
                      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                        It was a 6 game series so I would assume the honor was for the play during all 6.
                        Not often the MVP comes from the losing team......in fact I don't think I have ever seen that.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...-school-hockey

NHL Draft profile of '15 UVM recruit Michael Lee who is leaving The Gunnery to play for the Penticton Vees in BCHL.
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

In looking at the Schedules thread, it looks like 9 of the 12 possible (we were one short of the max last season) OOC games have been penciled in. So far there looks to be:

2 against SLU
                            2 against Clarkson
                            2 against UMaine
                            1 against Ylae
                            1 against Dartmouth
                            1 against Northeastern

If we throw in the Catamount Cup, that brings the total up to 11 and I'm guessing UVM only plays 33 of 34 games again, which means the OOC schedule is more or less complete. Not sure what happened but we seem to have lost our conference games against everyone else other then the ECAC? What happened to the weekends against UMD, Minny, etc. I have to say that I am bit disappointed in the lack of variety in the OOC schedule...

I hope this shuffling of conferences works itself out soon and scheduling can get back on track. Non-conference games against HE teams really blows...
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                              http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...-school-hockey

NHL Draft profile of '15 UVM recruit Michael Lee who is leaving The Gunnery to play for the Penticton Vees in BCHL.
                              I wonder why not the USHL route...?

Comment

I wonder why not the USHL route...?
                                Great organization, great league, great hockey town. As a matter of fact more than 20 elite NE players will be in BC this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X