Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
    Is it just me or has the Burlington Free Press format gotten worse?
    Oh you must be the one that reads the BFP. I knew someone must be reading it. Surprised they still exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
      Oh you must be the one that reads the BFP. I knew someone must be reading it. Surprised they still exist.
      Ha, yeah. I'll check it from time to time to see what's new. I like Ted's blog. Minimal hockey news this time of year.

Comment

From the CJHL Website ... Seems the Cats have a good one coming in on the blueline ...

CALGARY, Alberta โ€“ The Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) today announced the winners of five CJHL National Awards. The CJHL National Awards are awarded each season and recognize individual success in the 10 Junior A leagues in the CJHL. They include Most Valuable Player, Top Forward, Top Defenceman, Top Goaltender and Rookie of the Year.

"Congratulations to this year's CJHL National Award winners and to all of the nominees and finalists across our 10 leagues," said Kirk Lamb, President of the Canadian Junior Hockey League. "These players represent the best of more than 2,800 Junior A hockey players and exhibit the right mix of commitment, discipline and skill it takes to be an elite student-athlete in today's game.โ€

Trey Phillips of the Canmore Eagles (AJHL) is the recipient of the 2014 CJHL Top Defenceman Award.

Trey Phillips, Canmore Eagles, AJHL (58GP, 25G - 40A - 65PTS) - Phillips averaged 1.12 points per game to lead the Eagles in scoring, including 12 power play goals and 4 game winning goals, on his way to winning the AJHL MVP and Outstanding Defenceman. This is his fourth and final season with the Canmore Eagles, during which time he has scored 119 points in 200 regular season games. Phillips was the AJHL Player of the Month and the Canadian Junior Hockey League 1st Star of the Month for January 2014. He was also selected as the Player of the Game 12 times in the regular season. Phillips is committed to the University of Vermont for the 2014-2015 season.

Comment

Just checking to see if Vermonts tentative Schedule is in place...If so does your Schedule have Maine on it 2 or 4 times...2 Hockey East and 2 Non-Conference games...Maine has 4 openings to date and rumor has it that Vermont could be added 2 more times as in last years Schedule format when Maine Played 4 v Vermont & UMass. Thanks for any info. (*Maine is schedule to play @ Vermont Nov.7/8*)

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
            I still think UVM should put a bit more emphasis on Quebec. Yeah I know the reasons why not to..but that's like saying why bother with anywhere because of BC, MN, UND, etc...

Maybe St. Louis can help when he retires....
            Jรฉrรดme Bรฉrubรฉ @Jerome_Berube ยท 2h
            Coulombe decommit from Vermont because they push him back to 2015 (originally a 2014 recruit) and Shawinigan head coach was his midget coach..... https://twitter.com/jrhockeywriter
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Just checking to see if Vermonts tentative Schedule is in place...If so does your Schedule have Maine on it 2 or 4 times...2 Hockey East and 2 Non-Conference games...Maine has 4 openings to date and rumor has it that Vermont could be added 2 more times as in last years Schedule format when Maine Played 4 v Vermont & UMass. Thanks for any info. (*Maine is schedule to play @ Vermont Nov.7/8*)
              UVM's schedule won't be out for months..... not sure why it's always a big secret, but 99% of the time you have to infer the schedule from everyone else's confirmed games. Check back in Aug/Sept.
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                Jรฉrรดme Bรฉrubรฉ @Jerome_Berube ยท 2h
                Coulombe decommit from Vermont because they push him back to 2015 (originally a 2014 recruit) and Shawinigan head coach was his midget coach..... https://twitter.com/jrhockeywriter
                Read about this in the Free Press online this morning surprised not many other people talking about it. This is very disappointing and does not make the coaching staff look good in my mind I don't know who said what but when you keep pushing kids back to bring in huge classes and likely even pushing some out of the current roster you can't look good. Starting to sound like all that stuff catmandoo has been saying about looking for greener pastures every year is starting to bite them and losing on some talented kids.

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
                  Read about this in the Free Press online this morning surprised not many other people talking about it. This is very disappointing and does not make the coaching staff look good in my mind I don't know who said what but when you keep pushing kids back to bring in huge classes and likely even pushing some out of the current roster you can't look good. Starting to sound like all that stuff catmandoo has been saying about looking for greener pastures every year is starting to bite them and losing on some talented kids.
                  What did the coaching staff do wrong? Sneddon said the kid was always scheduled for 2015 and 14 was never an option? Columbe thought their might be an option for 2014...He didn't get pushed back. He simply decided to go the MJ route. He wasn't drafted originally in the MJ's, UVM recruited him, then his stock rose and MJ's wanted him so he took the option that wasn't there originally. Its why Qubec is no longer a good place to recruit anymore. If the kids are any good they will skip out and go the major junior route. It's sad, but there really needs to be more done to have recruits held accountable... and coaching staffs and schools for that matter... for those schools that promise the world and then revoke scholarships at the last minute because someone else came along.
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Please dont cry about players not wanting to wait and switching teams, we got a nice little player that way.

Sometimes the player turns out to be a flop and other times you get Chris McCarthy.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Is this really that big a loss? The 129 penalty minutes in 55 games sticks out. Let's see if he's picked in the NHL draft where he's been ranked. And isn't there a bunch of D coming in?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alex-coulombe/

Sneddon wouldn't put his reputation on the line to publicly disagree with a recruit. I'm sure what he said is accurate. I expect his reputation/NHL draft attractiveness has gone down slightly over this but he's young.

Comment

A new recruit.

Over The Boards @OTBPuckWatch ยท 8h
                        96 F Ross Colton (Taft) commits to UVM. Didn't see Taft but one NCAA coach called him "a stud, undersized, but very good." H/T @Canuckscout

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
                          Caylen Walls pushed out and gone. Signed with CHL today Quad Cities. Grass is greener. 18 months ago he was Sneddons greatest find in years. Cant wait for the rationalization on this one. That brings Sneddon's count up to around 16-17 recruits turned over in last 6 years. Definitely has to lead NCAA Hockey in that category. Pretty sure 2 more are headed out also. I am just relaying the facts because I get lit up if I give my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                            Caylen Walls pushed out and gone. Signed with CHL today Quad Cities. Grass is greener. 18 months ago he was Sneddons greatest find in years. Cant wait for the rationalization on this one. That brings Sneddon's count up to around 16-17 recruits turned over in last 6 years. Definitely has to lead NCAA Hockey in that category. Pretty sure 2 more are headed out also. I am just relaying the facts because I get lit up if I give my opinion.
                            Spent most of last year as the #6 D even well after coming back from injury. Maybe he saw what was coming in and didnt want to sit the bench.
                            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...-city-mallards

and

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com...-pro-contract/
                              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                                Spent most of last year as the #6 D even well after coming back from injury. Maybe he saw what was coming in and didnt want to sit the bench.
                                He dished out some hard hits but was a liability with the puck. With all the D coming in I think this makes the team better. Walls seemed like a decent guy and I hope he completes his education but I think this is best for both sides.

Comment

Working...
                                X