X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UML Puck Hawk
    replied
    Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

I know, just trying to link it to current conversation...

Moving on to the new thread

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    First game preview and banner spoiler.

Interesting not Bob Ellis on the preview
    my guess at this point is they have one guy doing a lion's share of the video... we are d1 now... don't doubt we'll see and hear from bob.

Leave a comment:

• UML Puck Hawk
    replied

First game preview and banner spoiler.

Interesting not Bob Ellis on the preview

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeinlowell View Post
    The simple answer is probably that the university gets paid by ESPN or whoever which offsets bobs pay. If people listen on free radio then why would ESPN pay to carry? There was one game a few years back that played on all four Lowell radio stations at the same time. How could anyone profit from that? (680, 1400, 99.5 and 91.5)
    Which is my general point. Not all trade offs are the best and they are in fact trade offs. Now I believe in culture generation so I see no point in cutting off your local markets... But it's not like they aren't dealing with information. The question is then the validity of that information.

I'm sympathetic in that it isn't an easy game. However, abdicating involvement is the surest way to ensure "not the best"

Leave a comment:

• mikeinlowell
    replied

The simple answer is probably that the university gets paid by ESPN or whoever which offsets bobs pay. If people listen on free radio then why would ESPN pay to carry? There was one game a few years back that played on all four Lowell radio stations at the same time. How could anyone profit from that? (680, 1400, 99.5 and 91.5)

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    I shouldn't need to do your homework for you, les.

Now, if you want to start, let's start with this

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat...atus=L&hours=N

are there any other repeater stations I should be aware of? Based on this there should be enough justification to say there are issues.
    Nice to see those at sea can hear better than I can. Fascinating but it doesn't really matter. I learned last yr I will not expire if I don't get good reception. I just turn it off as do many of the people I have talked to. Other than a rant on here once in a while I have learned not to care on as have many of the people I have talked to who were less loyal and just listened because it was easy. Too much work and off it goes. Some consultant was smarter than 30 yrs of loyalty building.
    Last edited by leswp1; 10-04-2014, 08:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    How is it natural evolution to dilute your brand? That is natural stupidness maybe.
    I have gone up the food chain. They are the ones telling me I should like it and I should be able to hear it. I am not the only one who can't hear it. I had patients telling me last yr they used to listen but couldn't find Bob anymore.

There are a lot of people who are aware of just how poor of a job the consultants have done. The mucky mucks are in love with them so it doesn't matter. That is what prompted the comment of bafflement. How many people have actually been involved in a situation where they felt the outside consultants had a positive, intelligent impact? Anyone?
    I shouldn't need to do your homework for you, les.

Now, if you want to start, let's start with this

are there any other repeater stations I should be aware of? Based on this there should be enough justification to say there are issues.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

How is it natural evolution to dilute your brand? That is natural stupidness maybe.
    I have gone up the food chain. They are the ones telling me I should like it and I should be able to hear it. I am not the only one who can't hear it. I had patients telling me last yr they used to listen but couldn't find Bob anymore.

There are a lot of people who are aware of just how poor of a job the consultants have done. The mucky mucks are in love with them so it doesn't matter. That is what prompted the comment of bafflement. How many people have actually been involved in a situation where they felt the outside consultants had a positive, intelligent impact? Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Bob is the Voice of UML. Has been for more yrs than I have been paying attention (>30) why are they trying to unbrand something or split the audience. Makes absolutely no sense. It is another wanna be move by a bunch of consultants.

Does it ever baffle anyone else how completely incompetent and off base so many consultants are? The amount of consultants who do not talk to the actual population working in a place or utilizing what ever system they are 'analyzing' amazes me. I haven't had much experience with consultants doing anything but totally dismantling a system and leaving things more broken than they started, telling people it should be better, they just need to understand why they should want the new way. (Not just this radio thing but things I have seen over the yrs both at the U and at work). If I did things the way these consultants did I would look at what I thought the patient should want, assume I knew what they were thinking, prescribe what they should need based on the previous and then tell them I fixed them, all without ever asking what the problem was.
    Les... this is the natural evolution... the only reason you are complaining is because you are having signal issues. You're also addressing it in the wrong way. If you want to put it in their terms then you have to talk about all the listeners they're failing to capture because of local radio issues.

I'm as much against consultant culture and I fear that the school may be captured by consultants and the others who are just looking for a host to feed on. That being said, either do your homework and make it freaking obvious or stop whining. Why not ask about who makes those decisions. For all your involvement with the university I'm surprised you haven't figured out the what how and why.

Fact is that I know very little on the why on this front. A lot of that is being this far away. If I were talking to a big I'd ask why we aren't getting radio coverage into Dracut. Hell, I was ****ed when Fitchburg State started up a signal at 91.3 which prevented me from getting 91.5 (the 91.3 to 91.7 range is often college radio frequencies.) I once spent most of the evening driving in and around parts of lancaster, shirley, and those towns just get a signal for a game.

Either you happen to be in an unfortunate hole in the radio signal world or you haven't made the case.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Bob is the Voice of UML. Has been for more yrs than I have been paying attention (>30) why are they trying to unbrand something or split the audience. Makes absolutely no sense. It is another wanna be move by a bunch of consultants.

Does it ever baffle anyone else how completely incompetent and off base so many consultants are? The amount of consultants who do not talk to the actual population working in a place or utilizing what ever system they are 'analyzing' amazes me. I haven't had much experience with consultants doing anything but totally dismantling a system and leaving things more broken than they started, telling people it should be better, they just need to understand why they should want the new way. (Not just this radio thing but things I have seen over the yrs both at the U and at work). If I did things the way these consultants did I would look at what I thought the patient should want, assume I knew what they were thinking, prescribe what they should need based on the previous and then tell them I fixed them, all without ever asking what the problem was.

Leave a comment:

• Patronick
    replied

Originally posted by HawkUnderground View Post
    Students aren't broadcasting the games.
    Whoever is on WUML then. Point being, the fans want Bob Ellis.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

I have to imagine student radio, being a fiefdom, doesn't want to serve as a repeater station for hockey?

Leave a comment:

• HawkUnderground
    replied

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    They could fix the problem simply by broadcasting Bob on WUML along with the other stations. I guess I don't see the need to change what's worked for so many years. Not trying to hate on the students, but Bob Ellis is simply outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• Patronick
    replied

I said it last year so I'll say it again this year to deaf ears haha.
    WUML still broadcasts. Not Bob, I know, but the signal is good and the broadcast team has energy haha.
    If you can't hear CAP you can still listen if you can get past Bob's voice not coming over the waves.
    They could fix the problem simply by broadcasting Bob on WUML along with the other stations. I guess I don't see the need to change what's worked for so many years. Not trying to hate on the students, but Bob Ellis is simply outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• HawkUnderground
    replied

boooooooooooooooooooo!! another yr of subpar coverage with large areas having no ability to hear the game Was hoping they let that fiasco die a quiet death. They are making it easier to not listen and get on with doing other things in my life (not that I wanted that). The frustration of trying to listen to that cured me about half way thru last season. More than half the time I turned it off and waited for Mr les to tell me what happened when he got home
    I said it last year so I'll say it again this year to deaf ears haha.
    WUML still broadcasts. Not Bob, I know, but the signal is good and the broadcast team has energy haha.
    If you can't hear CAP you can still listen if you can get past Bob's voice not coming over the waves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X