• Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Originally posted by chiefs56 View Post
    win baby win
    ok when player jumps ship b u c o

Comment

Easy to get all hot under the collar but after watching all the conjecture this past yr where we had all sorts of interesting 'information' about various players this stuff is just aggravating. Hellybucyk was out d/t academic It was all silliness. The kid had a huge GPA and had a medical issue. Kids were coming back no matter what or leaving- people who were in the know posting that they had inside info were off the mark.

Great troll food but unless there is something from either the U or from the player saying what happened I think I will refrain from passing judgment.
      Last edited by leswp1; 04-26-2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chiefs56 View Post
        it happens all the time
        This is the kind of cynical bullcrap I expect from UConn people
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

D1 sports are set up for the coaches and the school.Players can't leave a school and transfer without sitting out a year.Coaches can leave and coach somewhere the next year.If a school takes back a scholarship after the player has gone to school and play also have to sit out a year.So in the case of Amlong the coach de committed him and now he will have to sit out a year

Comment

Why is this such a big issue? It is the coaches right to pull a scholarship and I thought Amlong had some medical issues.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLDOUG View Post
              Why is this such a big issue? It is the coaches right to pull a scholarship and I thought Amlong had some medical issues.
              There are many stories of programs still honoring the scholarship for a player that had medical issues. Those are good stories, as that's how it should be handled.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                There are many stories of programs still honoring the scholarship for a player that had medical issues. Those are good stories, as that's how it should be handled.
                furlong

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  Yes. Take it further. You promise a guy 2 years of 4 years to get him to sign on. Usually, as long as you are doing what's asked of you this will be honored. You have to be a screwup for things to go otherwise.

That's two long years to be assured of an award... this is why keeping one's word is important.

However, the coach at any time can tell a player honestly that he will not see playing time in the years to come. If he's doing everything asked of him and it just isn't working, I'd honor the scholarship but if he wants to keep playing hockey then encourage him to go elsewhere. Most of the players, when faced with that, will choose hockey over the schollie and go find another school. This is not universal.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Amlong might need off season surgery,the coach at UML threw him under the bus and did not honor his deal.No class ,I wouldn't send my kid there.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeynut92 View Post
                      Amlong might need off season surgery,the coach at UML threw him under the bus and did not honor his deal.No class ,I wouldn't send my kid there.
                      explain the full situation, why don't you?

edit: including your connection seeing as you appear to be a Western Michigan fan
                      Last edited by Patman; 04-27-2014, 09:55 PM.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                        I've been hearing the same thing. Followed up asking what about only having 7 D for next year, was told we have some "studs" coming in.
                        Lowell has, to date, two defensemen coming in next year. If the Amlong departure is true, we have four defensemen returning from last year. I guess if we're planning on no one getting hurt next season we'll be fine.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                          Lowell has, to date, two defensemen coming in next year. If the Amlong departure is true, we have four defensemen returning from last year. I guess if we're planning on no one getting hurt next season we'll be fine.
                          And since Norm also can count, that makes it very unlikely that he'd just cut a defenseman.
                          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                            And since Norm also can count, that makes it very unlikely that he'd just cut a defenseman.
                            Why let logic enter the situation?

Comment

UMass loses a 2016 recruit and a 2nd Round USHL pick to the OHL. Ouch.
                              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                                I was thinking the same thing, but sent a message to someone who is close with a few players. I am not arguing the fact that having 4 returning D, Dalton Carter, and two freshman does not sound ideal, and means we lack serious depth at the defenseman position. I am reporting second (based on reading text messages) person sources, admittedly players on the team, so take it for whatever you will.
                                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X