Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    bazin has done a great job but enough with the york comparisons/fantasies. not sure how it started but it's out of place. you're already seeing him being mentioned as a potential candidate for CC. bigger job opportunities will continue to come up. at his age i don't think lowell is a destination job. forget about york and be happy that you have norm bazin, a very impressive coach thus far.
    I think this is way off base. He has family ties in the area. Why make a lateral move? Not everyone aspires to take over a dynasty that is already established. Some people like to start their own.

Comment

family ties in the area only go so far. and i didn't say he would take cc job just that if he keeps this up, bigger opportunities will come up. money talks as well. how much does he currently make?

i'm not doubting his love for lowell, just think it's naive to automatically rule out him moving on to another job given his age.

Comment

family ties in the area only go so far. and i didn't say he would take cc job just that if he keeps this up, bigger opportunities will come up. money talks as well. how much does he currently make?

i'm not doubting his love for lowell, just think it's naive to automatically rule out him moving on to another job given his age.
        Money may not be the sole motivator for everyone. I just don't think moving from here is something on the radar right now. Not saying never but I would be surprised. Everyone has different motivation that drives them. For some it is $ and for some it is legacy.

Comment

fair enough. just curious though, how much does he make? and has he been given a raise since his first year? do they have the funds to give him a nice bump?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Money may not be the sole motivator for everyone. I just don't think moving from here is something on the radar right now. Not saying never but I would be surprised. Everyone has different motivation that drives them. For some it is $ and for some it is legacy.
            Agree with the "never say never" idea and there's no question in my mind that other offers will come his way. But I think the current administration is far different from what we've seen in the past and has an almost infinitely higher commitment to the success of the program than previous admins. And don't overlook the fact that he's an alum. That's one thing that's always been pretty unique in college sports -- coaches (in many sports) have aspired to coach and stay at their alma maters, often in lieu of the "bigger and better" opportunity....

And I also agree with those downplaying the York comparison-related comments. There is absolutely no way, based on the small number of data points we have, to make ANY comparison (positive OR negative). Put this discussion completely on the table and let's pick it up again in 10 years.
            Lowell season ticket holder for (gulp) 27 years....

"Character is destiny" S. Freud

Comment

fair enough. just curious though, how much does he make? and has he been given a raise since his first year? do they have the funds to give him a nice bump?
              I don't think the idea is off base. I definitely got nervous when I saw the CC opening become available because he was an assistant there already. I can see why people would make that connection.

He made $289,518.47 in 2013. Here's my source:
              (http://www.bostonglobe.com/2014/02/1...WDP/story.html)
              Edit: We might see a bigger number next year and future years when it becomes public record again.

It's my understanding he got a raise after last season and an extension through 2018. I actually think he might have gotten a raise after his first year as well after that remarkable turnaround.

I think its reasonable to think he might decide to move on if another school offered him significantly more money. I think the only thing we can hope for is he's happy with his situation at the moment and has a goal to turn Lowell into a top program. He is an alumnus, which I think helps, because it seems like many good coaches that have held long tenures are also alums of the school they are coaching.
              Last edited by Middle Street; 04-08-2014, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I don't know how much he makes but he's been given two extensions since arriving and is under contract until 2018.

Comment

Does anyone else find it bizarre that we are having these kinds of conversations in here in April instead of say, late Feb

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    Does anyone else find it bizarre that we are having these kinds of conversations in here in April instead of say, late Feb
                    There are a few people who I sit with in my section at Tsongas with whom I have been sitting with since the mid 80's. A few times during the last couple of late March/early April's we've said to each other, "Did you EVER think, when you were sitting with 500 of your closest friends in Tully Forum, that you would see a day like this?"
                    Lowell season ticket holder for (gulp) 27 years....

"Character is destiny" S. Freud

Comment

I'd be shocked if he left for CC. It was amazing to see the amount of his own teammates that were out in Worcester. The amount of hockey alumni that have started showing up is great, and a lot of that is due to Bazin.

I do believe that he'll get bigger $$ offers somewhere if he keeps this up. But if the administration that's in charge now sticks around (or their beliefs do), then I can see Lowell doing it's best to try and compete salary wise.
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by WisemanFromUmass-Lowell View Post
                        There are a few people who I sit with in my section at Tsongas with whom I have been sitting with since the mid 80's. A few times during the last couple of late March/early April's we've said to each other, "Did you EVER think, when you were sitting with 500 of your closest friends in Tully Forum, that you would see a day like this?"
                        That's been uttered a lot by a lot of people. Heard it most recently at the packed bar in Worcester as well.
                        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

The alum are coming back in droves. It is like old home days when we go to the Tournament. A lot of the guys that came after Norm left were there as well. He left before lil les was born and many of the guys I saw were there after Lil was born and remember me being pregnant . Great to see (not me being pregnant, the guys coming back). They all keep in touch with each other- cool stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                            One of my favorite comedians. Sad day.
                            Sona afomatoooooo lol
                            BACK 2 BACK HE Champions whoda thunk it! Final Four 2013!

Comment

bazin has done a great job but enough with the york comparisons/fantasies. not sure how it started but it's out of place. you're already seeing him being mentioned as a potential candidate for CC. bigger job opportunities will continue to come up. at his age i don't think lowell is a destination job. forget about york and be happy that you have norm bazin, a very impressive coach thus far.
                              While I'm sure not many people consider Lowell to be a "destination", Bazin is a Lowell alum who played on the team and was an assistant just after his playing days. He has a deep connection to the program.

I don't mean to say that he could never possibly leave, and I know he was also an assistant at CC after Lowell, but he'd have to have a pretty **** compelling reason to leave Lowell for CC at this point.

Comment

One Lowell recruit on the Final CSB for 2014. 6 for BU. 4 for BC (and 2 more that are already in school).
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X