Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Their history means a lot. Even after a horrendous year (for them), they have 4 NDPT recruits. And I don't expect BU to be down long.
    Their history doesn't mean all that much, unless as a negative. These kids want to go to BC or BU, but more importantly with the top tier recruits they want to play for Jack Parker or Jerry York or whoever is going to win. Parker is gone, and BU can live off it's rep for a few years, but bottom of the league in 3-4 years and you are going to see it in their recruiting.

They may have some good recruits coming in, but remember coaches aren't picking kids up the year before they come to school, alot of these kids committed 2-3-4 years out. Quinn has 2 more bad seasons and you will start to see the effect.

But for example, you have a kid that is being recruited by BU, UNH, UML and there is a pretty decent shot he is choosing UML. If it's BC, BU, and UML... well kids are going to go to BC, no doubt. Sooner then later York is going to hang it up, and that will hurt too. Kids want to play for the coach that is going to get them the exposure to win... and to develop into a NHL player. The BC/BU/NU/UML etc has less to do then with who is behind the bench. IMO
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
      I think it could happen. At least now there is a possibility where several years ago there was no chance. Here is how it could happen... let's say a recruit has been given offers to play at 3 schools: BC, BU, UML. Because of the coaching situation - BU may be ruled out. Now it is down to BC vs Lowell. BC may seem the outright obvious choice - stellar program that has national name recognition and is regularly playing in the NCAA tourney. They also have a great campus located on the outskirts of Boston. But Lowell has an established coach who is every bit as good,
      This whole fantasy was hilarious but when I got here I had to stop. Seriously.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        Playing in the Beanpot means a ton to these local kids, BTW. A lot more than I think we give it credit for (see NU's recruiting classes for the future, some major talent).
        This is a good point and what I think *will* keep BU in the game. And where history DOES matter (he says, contradicting himself from an earlier post). I think if BU didn't have the BP to hang on too, they could have some lean years (by THEIR usual standards). But what I also think is that NU could be the recipient of this. The Beanpot has obviously not really helped them much nor did having some good coaches (I was one who thought for sure that Bruce Crowder leaving for NU would turn that program around). But I wonder if BU's current teetering might have a positive impact on NU's recruiting (given the allure of the BP). Who knows. I grew up here (didn't play hockey though) and still don't quite get the allure of that tournament......
        Lowell season ticket holder for (gulp) 27 years....

"Character is destiny" S. Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by WisemanFromUmass-Lowell View Post
          This is a good point and what I think *will* keep BU in the game. And where history DOES matter (he says, contradicting himself from an earlier post). I think if BU didn't have the BP to hang on too, they could have some lean years (by THEIR usual standards). But what I also think is that NU could be the recipient of this. The Beanpot has obviously not really helped them much nor did having some good coaches (I was one who thought for sure that Bruce Crowder leaving for NU would turn that program around). But I wonder if BU's current teetering might have a positive impact on NU's recruiting (given the allure of the BP). Who knows. I grew up here (didn't play hockey though) and still don't quite get the allure of that tournament......
          You know, I agree... But if you are a hockey kid and your in that culture... Maybe one of your coaches played for them back in the day, or so and so's cousin plays for them, etc. all of the sudden a few degrees of separation puts you on the bandwagon. You all want to be a part of the action.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            This whole fantasy was hilarious but when I got here I had to stop. Seriously.
            Yes - it is a fantasy - that's what you do in the offseason on boards like this. But are you saying that Bazin is not even in the same conversation as York? Bazin has built a program and inherited much less than York. I am not trying to sell York short - but I think he has a much easier job than Bazin. Bazin has many more years to really prove himself truly worthy - but **** he is off to a good start. I will stop now because this is getting off the main topic of this thread.
            University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

• A point I want to emphasize but do not think it came across too well earlier: yes, recruits will more often than not go to the "name recognized" school. That is one of the *primary* factors. Two other factors not to be minimized is the coach/coaching style and opportunity. Bazin has earned a very good reputation in the last few years. Also UML is now showing that there are excellent pro opportunities when coming out of the program. 9 out of 10 kids being recruited will probably go to BC vs UML. 3 years ago it would have been 10 out of 10.
              University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

A point I want to emphasize but do not think it came across too well earlier: yes, recruits will more often than not go to the "name recognized" school. That is one of the *primary* factors. Two other factors not to be minimized is the coach/coaching style and opportunity. Bazin has earned a very good reputation in the last few years. Also UML is now showing that there are excellent pro opportunities when coming out of the program. 9 out of 10 kids being recruited will probably go to BC vs UML. 3 years ago it would have been 10 out of 10.
                Let's wait and see how the next two classes shake out before we go comparing ourselves to the top program in the country. I think Gambardella and Campbell have the chance to be impact players going forward, but with the exception of Kapla the current freshman class was underwhelming at best. With the amount of losses to graduation and pro contracts, next year's class is going to dictate if Lowell continues to move forward or if they slide back into the middle of Hockey East with about six other programs. When I see some players come in that make me think "the rest of Hockey East is wishing they had this kid", then you can start talking about Lowell drawing players away from the traditional powerhouses. Until then it just sounds ridiculous.
                Lowell Forever
                Forever Lowell

Comment

But are you saying that Bazin is not even in the same conversation as York?
                  Norm Bazin IS in the same conversation... as Dick Umile.
                  Originally posted by reBlur
                  the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I guess it is saying something that people actually come in here and troll. Before we weren't important enough to be on the radar screen. Of course now we are doooooomed so they will go away soon

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                      Norm Bazin IS in the same conversation... as Dick Umile.
                      Here's another conversation that Bazin appears to be in.

Comment

Well I have read a lot of the back and forth that has occurred, and I think all folks are correct in many levels. If my memory is correct, when Norm first came into Lowell he stated that a majority of his recruiting would be toward the older players in the junior leagues. Not to sound cliché, but I am going to anyway. Bazin is going to get the best players that fit his system, not necessarily the best player in the pool. Reason being he knows he can't get them, at least yet. Plus I think there is a certain level of hockey maturity he wants - however this is my speculation. I think over time he will get top talent that he wants, but just like anything it will take time. As to the Lowell fans that have great expectations and hope, I am with you 100%. However, the reality is Bazin is not York, and will not be York for many, many years. Could he be? Of course he could! Will he be, that depends and remains to be seen. But I think that's the fun of it. The exciting thing for Lowell fans is this, Bazin is young, and he can get players to play into his system. Even York said it. He figured out a way to get players to buy into his style and play to win. While the losses of Wilson, Connor and Folin hurt, it only helps - big time. And with Holstrom, Pendenza and Carr signing contracts, our school is even more on the map as kids that are drafted or Undrafted feel Lowell can showcase their talents.

For me, while the loss of Wilson, Connor and Folin hurt, I think a big concern is losing coaching staff (not Bazin), particularly Lammers and Ellsworth. Those guys have equal credit for the rise of Lowell, and I am sure that other D1 or even D3 schools will want them.

As for this past freshmen class. Campbell, gambradella and Kapla are very good talent. I also think Manicia(sp) Showed flashes of solid hockey. So overall I don't think that class was all that weak.

Really interested to see the crop of talent to come in and have full confidence Bazin will have this team playing hard next season. I have no doubt.
                        "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
                        make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
                          Bazin is young, and he can get players to play into his system.

I had used the word "system" a couple of times in one of my earlier posts so it was cool to see hawkeytown also use it a few times in his. I also think this will be more the key to any continued success that Bazin has here. He may not be able to get all the blue-chippers but he will get the guys that are the best ones to fit into his system. My gut instinct is that the mark of Bazin teams will always be "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts".

Incidentally somewhat to that point is a comment that Dave Starman made during the regional broadcasts. Most of you were probably in Worcester and not watching TV but I happened to be watching while on a trip to Las Vegas. Between periods he was asked why Hellebuyck, with his outrageous numbers, wasn't part of the Hobey discussion. Starman said he thought it was because Connor was perceived as a 'system goalie'. Whether that's true or not, I think it's telling on how Bazin's teams are built....
                          Lowell season ticket holder for (gulp) 27 years....

"Character is destiny" S. Freud

Comment

bazin has done a great job but enough with the york comparisons/fantasies. not sure how it started but it's out of place. you're already seeing him being mentioned as a potential candidate for CC. bigger job opportunities will continue to come up. at his age i don't think lowell is a destination job. forget about york and be happy that you have norm bazin, a very impressive coach thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              http://www.lowellsun.com/obituaries/...es-at-pa-hotel

Pinette, Comedian, ULowell alum dead at 50
                              One of my favorite comedians. Sad day.
                              Lowell Forever
                              Forever Lowell

Comment

But Lowell has an established coach who is every bit as good, and maybe some day thought of as better than Coach York.
                                Please stop.
                                Lowell Forever
                                Forever Lowell

Comment

Working...
                                X