Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    You can't just look at the stats with Boyle, I think it's unfair to him. Remember the defense that he had in front of him. Yikes.
    Monty's right here; Boyle is a serviceable HE goalie that will have most of a respectable defense in front of him this season. I'm not expecting anywhere close to Hellebuyck numbers from him but there is much more depth in front of him here at Lowell that was ever in front of him in Amherst. Certainly, I can see him around .910/2.5, which will put a team in contention for a home ice spot. On paper, this team went from defending it's HE crown once again to probably batting for a final home-ice spot within a week. Then again, in a parody-filled league, nothing would surprise me. The 11 other teams still have plently of question marks, just like Lowell now has as a result of this past week.

At the same time, to say that there would not be a noticeable blip in Lowell record next year would be fool-hearty. I'm sure there are going to be fans that already have or will jump into the Merrimack and the expected "Lowell's run is done" talk from the college hockey establishment is in high gear. If Bazin and his 2014-2015 team can pull anything even remotely close to the success he had enjoyed over the past three seasons, you can chalk him in the book as legend status for Lowell coaches and elite status nationally. Obtaining home ice would do it for me with no established goaltender starting the season.

Arguably, some will say he's already there in three seasons no matter what happens. The point that has been made couldn't be truer, we will see how good of a coach Bazin is and something tells me we are going to be surprised like we have been over the past three years.
    Last edited by John_Fuller; 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM.
    - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
      I bust balls but it is good to see a team that has never really seen success do well and push the Goliaths.

There is no reason why Lowell can't be on the same level as UNH or Maine
      You are a ball buster but I agree. :-) The school is rising fast, the facility is great , the administration supports the program and it has had great recent success. Should be a heck of a lot easier for UML to recruit now and stay close to the top if not on top

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
        Then again, in a parody-filled league, nothing would surprise me.
        I know that's not what you meant, but this still amused me.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          Congratulations to Conner and the best of luck with the Jets.
          http://viewfrom123.com/2014/04/conno...-lowell-early/
          That sucks for Lowell Fans but it's great for Conner. It really says something about the kid, as it is not very often that a goaltender leaves early... teams don't want them, even excellent goalies play the full four years and toil in the AHL for a while. So the fact that they want him in the system ASAP says a lot about what we already knew... he's a great netminder.

On a similar note, I like UVM's chances when we play next year.

One final thought, Boyle may just need a shot, look at Witt's numbers before this year...

as a Soph he played 8 games with a 3.98 GAA and an .889 sv %
          as a Junior he played 1 game with a 4.86 GAA and an .850 sv%
          as a Senior he puts the team on his back and carries them to a first round bye and nearly a trip to the Garden.

maybe he's a diamond in the rough...
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

• As Mike McMahon first indicated on twitter, I have gotten confirmation that Jeff Smith will head to Lowell in August, per BCHL source. Here's my article on his commitment with quotes from his jr coach. He'll be a good one

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...orm-bazin-bchl
            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
              maybe he's a diamond in the rough...
              I'll be curious to see how much revenge plays into his mind. He's got to be ****ed at UMass, and wants to prove that he can play at the Hockey East level.

Edit to add: For the first time in years, we really don't know who the captain/assistants will be next year. I'm assuming Kamrass will be one.
              Last edited by UMLFan; 04-05-2014, 02:43 PM.
              Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

In brighter news, former Riverhawk Chad Ruhwedel had his first NHL point last night.
                I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post

Edit to add: For the first time in years, we really don't know who the captain/assistants will be next year. I'm assuming Kamrass will be one.
                  The captain wasn't announced until the golf tournament last year.
                  Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                  "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                    The captain wasn't announced until the golf tournament last year.
                    My apologies. Didn't mean timing wise. Just that for the first time in a while, we don't have a clear cut leader in the clubhouse. Unless there's another Holmstrom on the way?
                    Monty

Comment

Former River Hawk Chad Ruhwedel had to leave the game tonight after taking a hit to his head by Zac Rinaldo of the Flyer's. Hopefully he's ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=RdX6QJM1Z2M

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                        Former River Hawk Chad Ruhwedel had to leave the game tonight after taking a hit to his head by Zac Rinaldo of the Flyer's. Hopefully he's ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=RdX6QJM1Z2M
                        That's a tough break for Chad. Rinaldo is one of those guys that plays on the edge. It will be interesting to see how many games he gets suspended for.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                          That's a tough break for Chad. Rinaldo is one of those guys that plays on the edge. It will be interesting to see how many games he gets suspended for.
                          If "playing on the edge" is another phrase for "gutless cheap-shotting puke", then yes. Yes he is.
                          Lowell Forever
                          Forever Lowell

Comment

I may be in the minority here but perhaps, as a long-timer, I have a bit of a different perspective.

In short, I see these current departures as a blip in the screen. Very different from years past from when the team has made a run and then lost a key player or few (Morris, Roloson, etc.) In those years, I never had any sort of confidence level that the program could hit another "high point" anytime soon after. I thought those years were lucky anomalies. I feel completely different now. I feel the school is very invested in the program (and those of us that remember President Hogan remember how bad it used to be), they have a facility and a program that they have now learned how to market properly, an excellent coach who is an alum and now some success. I think this becomes far more sustainable than many of you think. I think this is now an environment where people will want to play. Will they be able to out-recruit BC? Probably not -- but I'll bet they'll win the occasional recruiting battle with them. (BU's another story -- I really believe that program will see a couple more less-than-stellar years as a result of the coaching turnover).

So long story short: I really like where this program is and feel more confident about the success of the SYSTEM that's been created than I ever have......
                            Lowell season ticket holder for (gulp) 27 years....

"Character is destiny" S. Freud

Comment

Originally posted by WisemanFromUmass-Lowell View Post
                              I may be in the minority here but perhaps, as a long-timer, I have a bit of a different perspective.

In short, I see these current departures as a blip in the screen. Very different from years past from when the team has made a run and then lost a key player or few (Morris, Roloson, etc.) In those years, I never had any sort of confidence level that the program could hit another "high point" anytime soon after. I thought those years were lucky anomalies. I feel completely different now. I feel the school is very invested in the program (and those of us that remember President Hogan remember how bad it used to be), they have a facility and a program that they have now learned how to market properly, an excellent coach who is an alum and now some success. I think this becomes far more sustainable than many of you think. I think this is now an environment where people will want to play. Will they be able to out-recruit BC? Probably not -- but I'll bet they'll win the occasional recruiting battle with them. (BU's another story -- I really believe that program will see a couple more less-than-stellar years as a result of the coaching turnover).

So long story short: I really like where this program is and feel more confident about the success of the SYSTEM that's been created than I ever have......
                              I agree with you. I think most Lowell fans agree with you, it's just losing so many good players in one fell swoop is a shock to the system. I have faith in what Bazin is doing and while they might not be a position to defend their two-time Hockey East Championship, they're going to be ok for the future.

Perspective comes with time, and it's only been a week
                              Lowell Forever
                              Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                                If "playing on the edge" is another phrase for "gutless cheap-shotting puke", then yes. Yes he is.
                                You're right, I was being too politically correct. I didn't like his game before that hit, and I like it even less now.

Comment

Working...
                                X