Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    JG is a great college hockey player but i wonder how he'll do at the next level with his size.
    I have felt the same as JG's size is very slight as opposed to the more meaty, bigger boned Gionta/Gerbe types. Johnny got banged up a little bit last season, but he's a quick learner. This season, I think he grew a set of eyes in the back of his head. Guys were lining him up for some big checks all season long and he dodged them like oil on water. His skill set is SO HIGH END, he will make it at the next level, if they don't break him into pieces first.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
      I have felt the same as JG's size is very slight as opposed to the more meaty, bigger boned Gionta/Gerbe types. Johnny got banged up a little bit last season, but he's a quick learner. This season, I think he grew a set of eyes in the back of his head. Guys were lining him up for some big checks all season long and he dodged them like oil on water. His skill set is SO HIGH END, he will make it at the next level, if they don't break him into pieces first.
      sounds like it's going to a weight room thing... either you have the body to handle the level or not. Its not so much containing the punishment but rather being able to deflect it.

That being said, it (this offseason or next season should he stay) could be the last best chance he gets to strengthen up before he has to face the grind of pro hockey.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Hellebuyck signed with the Jets.

Best defenseman gone? Check
        Best offensive player gone? Check
        Best goaltender in the country gone? Check

It's a...it's gonna be an interesting season next year.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
          Hellebuyck signed with the Jets.

Best defenseman gone? Check
          Best offensive player gone? Check
          Best goaltender in the country gone? Check

It's a...it's gonna be an interesting season next year.
          Congratulations to Conner and the best of luck with the Jets.
          http://viewfrom123.com/2014/04/conno...-lowell-early/

Comment

Tough loss for you guys. He was a great goaltender. I wish him success with the Jets because that is a great hockey market for him.
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

And in goal for the Riverhawks, Kevin Boyle...eeek

UMA 2012-2013: 8-10-2 (2.73 GAA/.897 SV)
              UMA 2011-2012: 8-7-4 (3.00 GAA/.895 SV)

Let's hope that goalie recruit Smith comes in early as if not, your rotation is Boyle and Robbins next year.
              Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
              Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
              Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Maybe Onion Man was on to something after all...

Well we're about to see how good coach Bazin really is. As I said in an earlier post, i just want them to remain competitive and have the 5 win seasons behind them.

Comment

Lowell will be a middle of the pack team normally with the occasional strong season or two. I don't see how Lowell can out recruit the BC and BUs of the world to consistently be at the top.
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Oh well. It was a good run guys.
                    Originally posted by reBlur
                    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Re: UMass Lowell Offseason 2014: Brave New World

Thank you Connor... Future is still bright... Next year though.... Ehhhhhh
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        Lowell will be a middle of the pack team normally with the occasional strong season or two. I don't see how Lowell can out recruit the BC and BUs of the world to consistently be at the top.
                        I don't disagree, but is it unrealistic to think they could be a program like UNH? The school seems committed to making sure they hockey program is successful. One example being they bought the Tsongas center and renovated it.

Comment

I bust balls but it is good to see a team that has never really seen success do well and push the Goliaths.

There is no reason why Lowell can't be on the same level as UNH or Maine
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Wow has this been a rough go for UML with the early departures. Kinda reminds of BC after 2001 when Kolanos, Kobasew, and Orpik all left early.
                            The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                            BC - 12
                            BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                              And in goal for the Riverhawks, Kevin Boyle...eeek

UMA 2012-2013: 8-10-2 (2.73 GAA/.897 SV)
                              UMA 2011-2012: 8-7-4 (3.00 GAA/.895 SV)

Let's hope that goalie recruit Smith comes in early as if not, your rotation is Boyle and Robbins next year.
                              You can't just look at the stats with Boyle, I think it's unfair to him. Remember the defense that he had in front of him. Yikes.
                              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I just posted this on FB, and it applies here as well.

One of the tough things about college sports is understanding that you will lose good players early, if your team starts to get attention. Junior Scott Wilson, Soph Christian Folin and now Soph Connor Hellebuyck all leave early to sign contracts with NHL squads. It's both good and bad for Lowell. Tough for next season, but getting a reputation that coming to Lowell will give you a chance to play in the NHL ... is awesome. Best of luck guys, you represented Lowell very well at the college level, I hope you do the same at the next level.
                                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Working...
                                X