X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by Get the Puck Outta Here View Post
    I just wish SLU's Website had worked last night so I could have watched the game lol.
    That's odd...I watched the whole game on their site with no problem at all
    Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
      That's odd...I watched the whole game on their site with no problem at all
      Many report it did not work for the first 10 minutes or so.
      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        We have secured the bye. Cannot finish lower than 4th.

That being said, keep bringing the pain and get another roll going into the playoffs.

Oh, and Hayton now #1 in the country by save %, with the 3rd most saves in the country. I guess he's above average
        What am I missing? Colgate and Dartmouth can both catch us as can Yale! Colgate beat us twice so they win that tiebreaker. If Dartmouth beats us we will be 1-1 against them, we beat them 3-2 so not much goal differential, and I'm not sure who wins the second tiebreaker with Dartmouth but it is record against top 4 then we don't want Colgate (Or Q tip) in there. I must be missing something! We ned a win or tie tonigh and then it's locked up but I want 2nd or first because I have NO interest playing a team like Harvard or Colgate with a 4th seed to get to LP!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          What am I missing? Colgate and Dartmouth can both catch us as can Yale! Colgate beat us twice so they win that tiebreaker. If Dartmouth beats us we will be 1-1 against them, we beat them 3-2 so not much goal differential, and I'm not sure who wins the second tiebreaker with Dartmouth but it is record against top 4 then we don't want Colgate (Or Q tip) in there. I must be missing something! We ned a win or tie tonigh and then it's locked up but I want 2nd or first because I have NO interest playing a team like Harvard or Colgate with a 4th seed to get to LP!!!!!
          The team in 5th right now is Colgate and the only way they can catch us if they win out and we lose out ... That being said, Yale and Colgate play each other next week, which means if Colgate wins out it would be at Yale's expense. With us being four points up on Yale that means the best Yale could do is tie us and we own the tie breaker. This makes it impossible for us not to finish in at least fourth place.
          St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
          4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
          2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
          16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
          2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

For further clarification, use this tool and it will all make perfect sense ... We can finish no lower than 4th! A win tonight and we clinch the number 2 seed!!

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/whatif/index.php?confid=4

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

My SLU feed worked fine but I did not tune in until late in period 1. Good, impressive win. Keep it up boys. Looking to see my "#11" " mediocre" team next weekend at Union and RPI. Interesting that the ECAC page featured the Havard feed showing their goal x 2 and many SLU near misses! I'll take that as a compliment.

Comment

• [QUOTE=hockeyplayer1015;6105478]We have secured the bye. Cannot finish lower than 4th.

That being said, keep bringing the pain and get another roll going into the playoffs.

Oh, and Hayton now #1 in the country by save %, with the 3rd most saves in the country. I guess he's above average [/

Wow. After a poor weekend results wise last week, what a come back. In my mind that was the best performance by this team all season. It's the first time they've fired on all cylinders for sixty minutes. It's really exciting to see what this team is capable of when they go all out. Harvard just couldn't handle our speed and I think few teams can. What a great team effort !
                In particular, I thought our first line was just awesome, especially Huges who was just on fire last night. What a great leader he's been for us.
                Secondly, the save by Hayton in the second, when it was still 1-1, off the bad turnover which resulted in a short breakaway was nothing short of sensational. As a former goalie, you dream about making a save like that, but usually that's all it is, a dream. Hayton seems to make saves like that regularly. In my opinion, I think he's been the best goalie in college hockey this year, and with saves like that it's hard to think otherwise.
                Lastly, but certainly not least, our forth goal was something special. In no time, place or at any level will you see a better goal than that. For sure, my goal of the season. What a beauty it was.
                If we can consistently can put forward that kind of effort we can play with any team. Congrats on an awesome effort Boys !!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                  The team in 5th right now is Colgate and the only way they can catch us if they win out and we lose out ... That being said, Yale and Colgate play each other next week, which means if Colgate wins out it would be at Yale's expense. With us being four points up on Yale that means the best Yale could do is tie us and we own the tie breaker. This makes it impossible for us not to finish in at least fourth place.
                  There is a scenario where there is a 3 way tie for 3rd and I don't know how a 3 way tiebreaker is resolved. I'd rather not think about it, win all three games and Q tip get no more than 1 point so we share or win the cleary cup.

The #2 seed or higher is critical. No team wants to face Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale or Colgate for a trip to LP.

Comment

There is a scenario where there is a 3 way tie for 3rd and I don't know how a 3 way tiebreaker is resolved. I'd rather not think about it, win all three games and Q tip get no more than 1 point so we share or win the cleary cup.

The #2 seed or higher is critical. No team wants to face Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale or Colgate for a trip to LP.
                    You don't lose too many tiebreakers, not only because of H2H, but the fact that you're now the only team in the ECAC without a tie.

Also, if Q-tip gets a point, they get the Cleary, as you do not hold the tiebreak over them.

Comment

Unfortunately, the one game I was unable to pickup, was last night. Otherwise I have been watching a majority of the games on my phone with not too many problems(the occasional refresh). Nice to know that we can't finish any lower than 4th, but top 2 would be preferable. Go Saints beat Dartmouth!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        You don't lose too many tiebreakers, not only because of H2H, but the fact that you're now the only team in the ECAC without a tie.

Also, if Q-tip gets a point, they get the Cleary, as you do not hold the tiebreak over them.
                        If Q-tip gets a point they will be the #1 seed due to the tie break but if we finish with the same number of points we share the cleary cup I believe.

Plus, we tied Princeton last week.

Comment

I had always known that Gunnar Hughes father (George) played at Harvard..........guess that provides some of the impetus for his great results against them. His dad not only played there.....he was a star player. In his four years (1975-1979) he put up 161 career points on 66 goals and 95 assists. He also went on briefly to play pro hockey in the IHL and CHL for a few years after. His brother Jack Hughes.....also played at Harvard and played about 45 games in the NHL with the Colorado Rockies. Even more interesting; Jack (guess that would make him Gunnar's uncle) played on the 1980 US Olympic team and I believe was the last player cut from the team. Jack Hughes is also a partner in Beanpot Financial in Chicago which is a company he co owns with Jack O'Callahan, also of the 1980 US Olympic team fame.

Below is a link to an article that appeared in the Boston Globe a few years ago about the whole family and their hockey lineage. (Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing?)
                          http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/reg...30L/story.html
                          SLU

Comment

Amazing what one can find on the Internet these days. I just read an old blog that said when Jack Hughes (playing for Colorado) came to Boston to play the Bruins, he purportedly called his old buddies who were celebrating prior to the game at a bar they all used to frequent in Sommerville, MA. Jack supposedly called the bar prior to the game and told his buddies he would try and instigate and get into it with Terry O'Reilly. Sure enough he lived up to his word.

For those of you who have been around a bit.....the below footage shows how involved linesman used to be in breaking up fights and the clip shows two of the NHL's greatest linesman in Leon Stickle and Kevin Collins. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hddhCEES_GI
                            SLU

Comment

Unlike the NHL or the NFL for that matter, the 3 way tie goes by head to head first. Which gives us the bye based on our tie breakers against Yale and Harvard. This clinches the bye for us ...

Anywho, a win tonight and we have the number 2 seed, which as you mentioned, is very important. I also personally would rather not play Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Colgate. If we are the number 2 seed we have a great shot to not have to face one of the above mentioned teams. It would be a huge advantage heading into the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                                I had always known that Gunnar Hughes father (George) played at Harvard..........guess that provides some of the impetus for his great results against them. His dad not only played there.....he was a star player. In his four years (1975-1979) he put up 161 career points on 66 goals and 95 assists. He also went on briefly to play pro hockey in the IHL and CHL for a few years after. His brother Jack Hughes.....also played at Harvard and played about 45 games in the NHL with the Colorado Rockies. Even more interesting; Jack (guess that would make him Gunnar's uncle) played on the 1980 US Olympic team and I believe was the last player cut from the team. Jack Hughes is also a partner in Beanpot Financial in Chicago which is a company he co owns with Jack O'Callahan, also of the 1980 US Olympic team fame.

Below is a link to an article that appeared in the Boston Globe a few years ago about the whole family and their hockey lineage. (Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing?)
                                http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/reg...30L/story.html
                                He was 'A' last cut, not 'THE' last cut. Believe the last cut was Ralph Cox of UNH. There is little doubt that Joe Marsh and his brothers have known most of these guys a long, long time with Joe doing time at BC and UNH before being forced to quit by injury.

Still great story. Hughes boys are extremely good kids and their parents should be extremely proud of them not only for hockey accomplishments but who they are as people. Gunnar is the glue for this team and the kind of leader this team needed this year to help the talent gel after chemistry issues last year with the now departed someone. Moreover, Gunnar may be the most improved player on the team this year.

It's Senior night boys. Doherty is playing against his hometown team. I hope the bunch of them have a big night, but it'd be really nice to see Doherty and Ward have big nights. So glad that Ward is a Saint instead of a Dartmouth Indian.

Comment

Working...
                                X