This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    I have talked to one scout personally and heard second hand from another scout that is based in the North Country who have both seen Hayton several times. They basically said no way since he is under 6 feet and 150 pounds there won't be a lot of teams willing to pursue him. I don't agree with them, but their vote counts more than mine. I thought it was all about stopping the puck and that being light is an advantage. I am sure there are teams out there that would love to get him and see if they can develop him in the AHL and when he doesn't make the show as most goalies don't, they'll hang him out to dry. SLU has had some extremely good goalies in the last 30 years and combined they have less than 30 games in the show. I think it would be a huge mistake for him to go until he gets a lot more solid. Plus, I think he has the chance to lead this team to a Frozen Four in his time in Canton and leave with a mess of hardware and a degree.
    Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    I have talked to one scout personally and heard second hand from another scout that is based in the North Country who have both seen Hayton several times. They basically said no way since he is under 6 feet and 150 pounds there won't be a lot of teams willing to pursue him. I don't agree with them, but their vote counts more than mine. I thought it was all about stopping the puck and that being light is an advantage. I am sure there are teams out there that would love to get him and see if they can develop him in the AHL and when he doesn't make the show as most goalies don't, they'll hang him out to dry. SLU has had some extremely good goalies in the last 30 years and combined they have less than 30 games in the show. I think it would be a huge mistake for him to go until he gets a lot more solid. Plus, I think he has the chance to lead this team to a Frozen Four in his time in Canton and leave with a mess of hardware and a degree.
    I agree with you when you say that he can lead this team to a frozen four appearance and maybe even more, and that it would be a big mistake to sign an AHL contract. I think there's a number of college players who have fallen into that trap.
    I would have to disagree with the rest though. He's listed at 6'0" and 160 lbs which really is very close to what Ryan Miller is listed at (6'1" 172lbs). Give him a little time and he'll probably be bigger as he is only 20. He was undrafted in the USHL yet was on the all star team and look how he's helped this team. Despite what your scouts say, I've got believe from what I've heard (from a head scout of a very good NHL team) that there is a lot of interest from a number of teams. In the end we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm hoping the people close to him will help him make some good, solid decisions in the future. I feel also like Coach Carvel with his NHL background will be able to influence and help him too.

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Despite a disappointing weekend result, it sure is fun (and unexpected back in October) that we're talking what needs to happen to clinch a bye in mid-February, isn't it?

4 tough games left, and apparently we used up too many goals against Union, but the defensive effort and results are still there. I'm sure it will be a tough week of practice, but I trust Carvy and Co. will have the boys ready to go Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        Despite a disappointing weekend result, it sure is fun (and unexpected back in October) that we're talking what needs to happen to clinch a bye in mid-February, isn't it?

4 tough games left, and apparently we used up too many goals against Union, but the defensive effort and results are still there. I'm sure it will be a tough week of practice, but I trust Carvy and Co. will have the boys ready to go Friday.
        While it did feel a little disappointing this past weekend results wise, I keep telling myself where this team was expected to be at this time of the year and it always seems to put a smile on my face. It's always been SLU's vibe to be the underdog and battle back from behind, this year they are following that trend.

It's looking like one more win out of the four games and the bye will be ours. Every other result would have to go 100% the other teams way for us not to get the bye and in this league that typically doesn't happen. I would be shocked if we don't get the bye, but hey you never know!
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
          While it did feel a little disappointing this past weekend results wise, I keep telling myself where this team was expected to be at this time of the year and it always seems to put a smile on my face. It's always been SLU's vibe to be the underdog and battle back from behind, this year they are following that trend.

It's looking like one more win out of the four games and the bye will be ours. Every other result would have to go 100% the other teams way for us not to get the bye and in this league that typically doesn't happen. I would be shocked if we don't get the bye, but hey you never know!
          Seeding is really important and so is PWR. I hope we can win at least 3 of the 4 and maybe that will give us enough of a boost in the PWR as well as get a beatable team in the playoffs to get a trip to LP. Problem is, there are no easy wins. Next weekend will be extremely tough and so will winning at Union or RPI on senior night. The results this weekend were disappointing. Not getting two points on the weekend was a disaster and just one point is a pretty big deal right now.
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
            Yeah, is it just me or is Lewis falling apart? I really hoped you guys would go in a pop Q, but no dice. I think you guys might be starting to miss Perry at the wrong time of the year.
            He's reverting to form. And there is the reason that Perry was the #1. Plus we can't score.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Here is a nice article on Kyle Hayton ...

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/member..._Interview_HTW

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Martin has solidified the Saints’ blue line - http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/s...-line-20150220
                SLU '97

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                  Martin has solidified the Saints’ blue line - http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/s...-line-20150220
                  He has been one of the most underrated and under the radar guys to play for SLU ever. Awesome combination of speed, toughness, skill, leadership, and attitude. I'll never forget at Dartmouth 2-3 years ago at the end of the game the Saints sent the puck down to the Dartmouth end and Martin took off closing about a 25 foot gap to blow by the Dartmouth player. I don't remember if he scored or someone else but what wheels and desire. You can't build a team without guys like him!
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                    He is a great player and as Got6 mentioned, he is always fun to watch!

Tonight/this weekend will be a battle. Let's hope we bring our "A" game both nights and we can secure that all important bye!

Comment

And the Saints just keep rolling. I thought we'd have to scratch and claw for a point this weekend. I guess we are in second place for a reason!!

Comment

What a great win!I left my in-laws with the score knotted at 1 and by the time I walked into my house the Skating Saints were up 5-1. I really want to once again thank Sullivan for running with "the high powered offense of the Crimson" and doubting the Saints in their own barn. S L U

Comment

Originally posted by Get the Puck Outta Here View Post
                          What a great win!I left my in-laws with the score knotted at 1 and by the time I walked into my house the Skating Saints were up 5-1. I really want to once again thank Sullivan for running with "the high powered offense of the Crimson" and doubting the Saints in their own barn. S L U
                          That was more a satisfying win to watch than the Union win. We were simply dominating through 2 and a half periods. As far as I'm concerned Sullivan picking against us is generally a harbinger of good news.
                          St. Lawrence University
                          World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

We have secured the bye. Cannot finish lower than 4th.

That being said, keep bringing the pain and get another roll going into the playoffs.

Oh, and Hayton now #1 in the country by save %, with the 3rd most saves in the country. I guess he's above average
                            Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 02-21-2015, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Good point Brendan, we are guaranteed top 4 which is good enough to get us home ice prior to Lake Placid. Nice to see Hayton #1 in save percentage and our D move to #4, what an exciting season! Love to see Carvel and these guys collect 20 wins. Agree with Carlisle as well that this team is becoming very dominant in the games. I just wish SLU's Website had worked last night so I could have watched the game lol.

Comment

Life is good in the north country, Lake Placid or bust !!
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X