This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Saints need to do some work on the PP. They have not scored on it in a dogs age...
    SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      OK. Back to reality. Seems like the defense continued to play well this weekend, but if you score 1 goal per game . . .

The Harvard - Dartmouth weekend is looming larger now.
      Not a fan of the lineup changes tonight personally. Guessing Lough was injured because otherwise I wouldn't sit him for Hagen. Agree that the defensive pair of Masella / Martin had a rough go last night but I thought Purmal and Eden was a pretty drastic change to a consistent lineup. I'll give Princeton credit though, they worked hard defensively and there was no sustained pressure or cycling. Officiating was brutal which favored Princeton who was clutching, grabbing, holding and trying to contain SLU's speed. Can't say that guy running Hayton in the 3rd was the classiest move. Cough. Cough.

That hurt, but of the teams closest to our tail, only Yale got 2 points, Harvard got 1 and Dartmouth Zero. Hopefully, we get Harvard a bit more tired with two tough games this weekend, the Beanpot on Monday and a long bus ride on Thursday. I am stunned that two of the top gunners in the nation were shutout at home back to back. I still believe Union is better than that but that's a tough weekend. I hope Princeton and Brown can come alive and steal some points the next two weekends.
      It makes me sick that Princeton got a point from us tonight. They can't lose enough. But, it's better than two points.
      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Well, I'll start out by saying that I had a great weekend in my first ever visit to Quinnipiac and Princeton. It was quite the good time, I must say. Princeton's Hobey Baker Rink has a real old time hockey feel to it with just the right amount of amenities to keep it old school and classic. Plus, I loved how the players entered the ice directly next to/under the SLU visitors section (more like the visiting quarter of the arena as we had a ton of fans there last night!!), it was a real treat. Quinnipiac's TD Bank Sports Center was the complete opposite. Modern, shiny (for lack of a better word!), modern amenities, spacious. It was really a gem of a rink and I am glad I was able to witness it first hand as seeing it on TV does it no justice ...

As for the hockey, I was impressed with how we played on Friday, for the most part. We came out with a lot of energy Friday and carried the play for large portions of the 1st period. The 2nd period, which is turning out to be our downfall of late, was god awful!!! Thankfully it was only 2-1 Q-Pac at that point so we were still very much in it. We had a decent 3rd period and we battled hard. I just wished we had that finisher we have been lacking at times this year to put one or two away for us and change the outcome of the game. It's starting to come back to bite us again, if the last two games are any indication. All in all, both teams impressed me. I do feel as well like this could be a potential match-up for us in Lake Placid, if we are fortunate enough to make it there this year. Would make for a great 3rd meeting between these two teams. And as someone correctly pointed out earlier, yes we definitely do owe them one ...

The Princeton game I felt more of the same to some degree. Yes, we did battle hard and yes we did have our chances, but once again we find ourselves searching for that finisher to push us over the top. Defensively we were very strong (both nights actually). Did anyone else seem to be impressed with Princeton? I was actually quite impressed with how well they skated and they played hard all night. Defensively they were solid as a rock! It's too bad they couldn't wait just one more weekend to turn over a new leaf right? Also, Kyle Hayton, as we all know, is just a true bonafide elite player in this league and thank god we have him for three more years (hopefully/fingers crossed!) ...

Two HUGE games this coming weekend as two teams right below us in the standings come to Appleton Arena for senior weekend ... Harvard seems to have righted the ship and could be on their way back towards the top again. Of course this would happen just in time for their match-up with us, just the same as was the case with Princeton this weekend. Dartmouth has been on a tear lately and that is one team that has been scary to me ever since pretty much our victory over them last month actually. This is one match-up I am not looking forward to, but hey you never know, eventually all streaks can start a new streak in the opposite direction. All in all, if we just play our hearts out as we have been doing and we battle each and every shift good things will happen. These are two big games here and hopefully we can finish out the home portion of the regular season schedule with a bang. You've got this Saints, just keep doing what you been doing!
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Another note I forgot to address ... Friday, if we beat Harvard and Clarkson beats Dartmouth doesn't that clinch a first round bye? ... Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I got out of looking at the standings and the upcoming games. Admittedly it was a brief look at the standings and the upcoming games, so I could easily be mistaken ...
          Last edited by Saints#1; 02-15-2015, 11:17 AM.

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

We are in for top 8. Given that we are playing 2 of the top 5 teams this weekend, and Yale is playing Qpack anything less than a top 4 will be a disappointment given that we are in our own house and have beat both of these teams. That being said this team is built around speed and defense which pays dividends when individual games are close and are important for playoff position. Would not be surprised to see low scoring wins this weekend as the team continues to play with a lot of confidence.

give
            Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
            Another note I forgot to address ... Friday, if we beat Harvard and Clarkson beats Dartmouth doesn't that clinch a first round bye? ... Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I got out of looking at the standings and the upcoming games. Admittedly it was a brief look at the standings and the upcoming games, so I could easily be mistaken ...

Comment

Just a question but isn't that a "when you beat Harvard and if Clarkson beats Dartmouth"??

Just checking.....
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If we get at least three points or the scenario above happens we clinch a bye. With three points, we hold tiebreakers on Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth. Most teams would kill to be in our position. If we don't make it, we have no one to blame but ourselves and it would have to be a pretty major meltdown. At this point, it is almost impossible to catch Q for first so hopefully they can win their last four games which happen to be against Yale, Harvard and Dartmouth. They need to keep on winning because if they lost those games they will fall in the PWR probably out of of the top 15.

As for this past weekend, things are a lot tougher without the underdog mentality. We have success, make the top 20, and then play arguably our worst hockey of the new year. Yeah, we dominated both games in stretches but we did not look sharp for long stretches of both games as well. Princeton does have decent talent. Bob Prier recruited some very good kids. Unfortunately, he won't be the guy to turn them into a winner and, because of what transpired, they literally can't lose enough.

So because I just probably put some of you into shock suggesting I want Q to win their last four games, I take it back! I want us to win our last four games and then we also clinch a bye. It won't be easy, but if this is the year we turn the corner into a championship calber team, we can't expect it to be easy. These guys can do it.

Finally, I think we will have Hayton for at least a couple more years. As good as he is, he is smallish and light and is not what most NHL teams are looking for....as stupid as I think they are. The re are other kids I am not sure we can keep. Guys like Gluchowski and Sweetman are such good players I am sure teams will make offers.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Just a question but isn't that a "when you beat Harvard and if Clarkson beats Dartmouth"??

Just checking.....
                  Nope, definitely an "if" ... Overconfidence is not cute, but I guess it doesn't matter how overconfident or under-confident we all are, we don't play the game

Comment

I actually found another scenario where we clinch a first round bye Friday without the Dartmouth/Clarkson game meaning anything. When (are you happy now? ) we beat Harvard and if Colgate does not win then we also clinch a first round bye.

Comment

I have another side note ... A friend of mine spoke with Drew Smolcynski's parents at the Princeton game last night and apparently Drew is out for the remainder of the year. I can't remember if that was mentioned here once before or not. I don't recall hearing this until last night at the game

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Just checking.....
                        Yeah, is it just me or is Lewis falling apart? I really hoped you guys would go in a pop Q, but no dice. I think you guys might be starting to miss Perry at the wrong time of the year.

Comment

I have another side note ... A friend of mine spoke with Drew Smolcynski's parents at the Princeton game last night and apparently Drew is out for the remainder of the year. I can't remember if that was mentioned here once before or not. I don't recall hearing this until last night at the game
                          That is a surprise. He had a concussion against Harvard. I thought he was ready to come back but would have a hard time getting back into the lineup just because he is not as fast as he needs to be. I am guessing he is out as a precaution and that ******* from Harvard (Hart) should be sitting too as that was a cheap shot. He is a guy that can score some goals for us and has a nice shot but he really needs to improve his speed to the extent that is possible. I hope he gets well. Concussions suck. They are the worst part of the game and can end anyone's career just like that.

Comment

I actually found another scenario where we clinch a first round bye Friday without the Dartmouth/Clarkson game meaning anything. When (are you happy now? ) we beat Harvard and if Colgate does not win then we also clinch a first round bye.
                            Colgate will win 3 of their last 4. I wont jinx our team, but I am pretty confident Colgate will win at least 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                              If we get at least three points or the scenario above happens we clinch a bye. With three points, we hold tiebreakers on Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth. Most teams would kill to be in our position. If we don't make it, we have no one to blame but ourselves and it would have to be a pretty major meltdown. At this point, it is almost impossible to catch Q for first so hopefully they can win their last four games which happen to be against Yale, Harvard and Dartmouth. They need to keep on winning because if they lost those games they will fall in the PWR probably out of of the top 15.

As for this past weekend, things are a lot tougher without the underdog mentality. We have success, make the top 20, and then play arguably our worst hockey of the new year. Yeah, we dominated both games in stretches but we did not look sharp for long stretches of both games as well. Princeton does have decent talent. Bob Prier recruited some very good kids. Unfortunately, he won't be the guy to turn them into a winner and, because of what transpired, they literally can't lose enough.

So because I just probably put some of you into shock suggesting I want Q to win their last four games, I take it back! I want us to win our last four games and then we also clinch a bye. It won't be easy, but if this is the year we turn the corner into a championship calber team, we can't expect it to be easy. These guys can do it.

Finally, I think we will have Hayton for at least a couple more years. As good as he is, he is smallish and light and is not what most NHL teams are looking for....as stupid as I think they are. The re are other kids I am not sure we can keep. Guys like Gluchowski and Sweetman are such good players I am sure teams will make offers.

From what I've heard, Hayton is attending at least one NHL camp this summer and probably two and there has been a number of other teams talking with him. You say he's too small and too light yet Ryan Miller, who seems to have a very similar body type, has had no problems being a superstar in the NHL.
                              I do think it would be great to have him around for a couple more years and hope he puts a lot of thought into what's best if and when he does get an offer. I think it makes sense for him to stay here, get bigger, stronger and better until the time is right.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
                                From what I've heard, Hayton is attending at least one NHL camp this summer and probably two and there has been a number of other teams talking with him. You say he's too small and too light yet Ryan Miller, who seems to have a very similar body type, has had no problems being a superstar in the NHL.
                                I do think it would be great to have him around for a couple more years and hope he puts a lot of thought into what's best if and when he does get an offer. I think it makes sense for him to stay here, get bigger, stronger and better until the time is right.
                                I have talked to one scout personally and heard second hand from another scout that is based in the North Country who have both seen Hayton several times. They basically said no way since he is under 6 feet and 150 pounds there won't be a lot of teams willing to pursue him. I don't agree with them, but their vote counts more than mine. I thought it was all about stopping the puck and that being light is an advantage. I am sure there are teams out there that would love to get him and see if they can develop him in the AHL and when he doesn't make the show as most goalies don't, they'll hang him out to dry. SLU has had some extremely good goalies in the last 30 years and combined they have less than 30 games in the show. I think it would be a huge mistake for him to go until he gets a lot more solid. Plus, I think he has the chance to lead this team to a Frozen Four in his time in Canton and leave with a mess of hardware and a degree.

Comment

Working...
                                X