This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Saints games notes are up for this weekend: http://www.saintsathletics.com/custo...ay%20notes.pdf
    SLU '97

Comment

And you say Quinnipiac is the outlier......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTStlQhmLv0#t=40
      Quinnipiac University '15
      ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
      ECAC Championship: 2016
      NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
      NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
      Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
        And you say Quinnipiac is the outlier......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTStlQhmLv0#t=40
        More times than not when I am on the Clarkson campus (usually for SLU/Clarkson hockey game at Cheel) I leave feeling the need to behave irrationally as well ... I can feel his pain!
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Planning on being in Hamden tomorrow night for some little hockey game I heard about. Looks like I'll be threading the needle between these 2 "storms".

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
            Naked nerds. Nothing good about this story. At least if this happened at Q it would be more likely to be a chick.
            9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
            1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
              Naked nerds. Nothing good about this story. At least if this happened at Q it would be more likely to be a chick.
              Lmao at naked nerds, good luck Saints tonight in Hamden !
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

If I had to put money on a team to win the ECAC Championship...it'd be on you guys with little to no hesitation. Hayton is going to want that first one back and the second was just a nice play by L Smith. Thought you guys outplayed us for the majority of the game. Penalty shot miss was the difference. If it was just called a normal penalty and you guys had a PP, I think it wouldve been a different result
                Quinnipiac University '15
                ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                ECAC Championship: 2016
                NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

I was at this well played game and thought it was a story of three periods. SLU dominated the first QU took it back in the second and both teams played pretty evenly in the third. I agree about the penalty shot being a negative as well BigAl, although, the play was right in front of me and I thought the Q defender hit the SLU players stick first to dislodge the puck, i was actually surprised they called the penalty shot. i thought the refs missed some penalties that could have been called on SLU, they also missed a knee on knee that QU could have taken had they not committed a penalty 5 seconds earlier. QU's penalty kill was a difference maker as well. Something tells me that these two teams might see each other again this year. Great jerseys on QU tonight.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Well, my unbeaten streak for the season is no more. Very, very entertaining and fast paced game though.

I'm going to slightly disagree, I felt the 1st was fairly evenly played. SLU capitalized on a mistake, but had to weather a couple QU flurries in the period.

The 2nd, we looked pretty bad. General sloppy play, unforced turnovers, and couldn't maintain possession when we had the puck. I really think Hayton would like the 1st QU goal back, as it was a one time slapper from just a bit inside the blue line with no traffic in front. Just wasn't ready for it, I guess. QU's 2nd goal was a great shot, can't do much about that except not turn the puck over in our zone to allow it to happen.

The 3rd, I felt, was the best period of the night for both teams. Lots of up and down action for long stretches, and several close chances both ways.

I thought our defense, as a whole, didn't play a great game. Lots and lots of turnovers and missed passes, for the first time in a while, our young guys back there looked the part IMO. They didn't play terribly, but not as crisp as they have looked in the 2nd half.

I will say, the refereeing was suspect for the whole game, with inconsistencies and missed calls both ways for the linesmen and the referees. Did it affect the outcome? I don't believe so, atleast not directly. They let them play the game for the most part, and I don't feel either team abused that.

I hope we see those guys again on the big sheet in Lake Placid. Our speed will be amplified there, and I personally feel we owe them one.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      I was at this well played game and thought it was a story of three periods. SLU dominated the first QU took it back in the second and both teams played pretty evenly in the third. I agree about the penalty shot being a negative as well BigAl, although, the play was right in front of me and I thought the Q defender hit the SLU players stick first to dislodge the puck, i was actually surprised they called the penalty shot. i thought the refs missed some penalties that could have been called on SLU, they also missed a knee on knee that QU could have taken had they not committed a penalty 5 seconds earlier. QU's penalty kill was a difference maker as well. Something tells me that these two teams might see each other again this year. Great jerseys on QU tonight.
                      Not our best effort tonight and I think a large part of that can be attributed to the Q Pac defense, checking and tenacity. As you and BigAl observed....I did think we had control of the game in the first. In the second we were OK even after the first goal as we had two very strong shifts where we were buzzing and dominating play. It seemed to me like the first Quinnipiac goal woke SLU up a bit. However, after the second goal the air definitely went out.
                      I work in Boston and got hung up and could not make it to the game in person. I did watch it on the Q Pac free feed which was excellent coverage. Almost like watching a professional broadcast with replays from multiple angles. I think if you saw the replay LT you would agree with the call. It was an obvious penalty and watching it when it occurred and then on replay I think the penalty shot was the correct call.

First goal was atrocious on our part. Cough up the puck (but hey that guy has been our heart and soul all year so he owes us nothing) and it did appear Hayton had his guard down and got surprised. The second goal was a turnover and again Hayton didn't seem prepared...but, Smith sniped it so even if he was ready that one was still going in.

A wee bit disappointed that we did not play our best game tonight. Hope the boys regroup and do not let down against Princeton. We need those two points badly. We can't look ahead as I think Q cemented things tonight for first....but, there are a lot of teams behind that can easily catch us if we let our guard down. Dartmouth is really scaring me and both Ylae and Harvard all have 20 points so a run by them and any slip up by us and we can easily be caught. As always it will come down to the last game on the last night of the season.
                      Still in looking back.........who else thought we'd be talking like we are about this team and where we are in the standings??? Of course I'd like to win every game but in this league that isn't going to happen.
                      SLU

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        Very, very entertaining and fast paced game though.
                        That it was. Both teams had their chances and SLU's flurry in the final seconds was a nail biter.

I will say, the refereeing was suspect for the whole game, with inconsistencies and missed calls both ways for the linesmen and the referees. Did it affect the outcome? I don't believe so, atleast not directly. They let them play the game for the most part, and I don't feel either team abused that.
                        ECAC refs suspect? Say it isn't so. They did let them play which is better than the constant stoppages that disrupt flow.

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                        I work in Boston and got hung up and could not make it to the game in person.
                        We missed seeing you Mike. It was good to see Brandon and even better he got to see the flag a few times!

Good luck the rest of the way. I'm really hoping we don't meet the Saints again this season.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                        Northeast Regional:
                        West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post

We missed seeing you Mike. It was good to see Brandon and even better he got to see the flag a few times!

Good luck the rest of the way. I'm really hoping we don't meet the Saints again this season.
                          Good thing I wasn't there Mark. That's one flag I would have burned!!! Missed seeing you and Luke as well.

Hey Saints fans......where's all the chatter??? One loss and no one posted other than Brandon???

Gut check tonight.......good teams bounce back. Good teams discard a loss and start a new win streak. And we are a good team so let's get a "W" at Hobey Baker rink tonight.
                          SLU

Comment

The odds that we were going to rattle off a 13-game winning streak were pretty small. We were on the road playing the top team in the league, had couple of uncharacteristic mistakes on D, and still just gave up 2 goals and lost by one. Not the end of the world. We still have to play Dartmouth and Harvard again, too, so it might happen again before the tournament starts. If we lose to Princeton (not impossible, just ask Clarkson), we'll have something to talk about!

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                              Good thing I wasn't there Mark. That's one flag I would have burned!!! Missed seeing you and Luke as well.

Hey Saints fans......where's all the chatter??? One loss and no one posted other than Brandon???

Gut check tonight.......good teams bounce back. Good teams discard a loss and start a new win streak. And we are a good team so let's get a "W" at Hobey Baker rink tonight.
                              For me it is the third Friday in a row of barfing my guts out. Though you may suspect it, last night it was not based on our play or the WWF feel to the Q broadcast. I only saw a the last minute of the game and it was clear from that minute that we were not on our game. We need to put that behind us and focus on winning the last 5 games. If we end up in LP then we can think about seeking revenge.

Princeton is a solid team defensively. They don't score a lot but when they score enough they can make for a long night. We have 5 very tough games left and, hopefully, we can win them one shift at a time.

I will say this...although I appreciate the reason for the uniforms last night for Q I thought they were absolutely hideous.
                              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

OK. Back to reality. Seems like the defense continued to play well this weekend, but if you score 1 goal per game . . .

The Harvard - Dartmouth weekend is looming larger now.

Comment

Working...
                                X