This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Guys if I had my druthers - if the Ivies left I'd give Q the boot purely for geographic reasons. Then I'd go after RIT and maybe Canisius and Niagara and have an 8 team league located entirely in New York.

28 conference games (4x). That leaves 6 for OOCs.

Finals in Syracuse or Rochester.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Guys if I had my druthers - if the Ivies left I'd give Q the boot purely for geographic reasons. Then I'd go after RIT and maybe Canisius and Niagara and have an 8 team league located entirely in New York.

28 conference games (4x). That leaves 6 for OOCs.

Finals in Syracuse or Rochester.
      The only school the ivies would break away from is Q. I'd rather they leave instead of causing the parties to think about another divorce or realignment.
      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
        The only school the ivies would break away from is Q. I'd rather they leave instead of causing the parties to think about another divorce or realignment.
        You are now just saying whatever you want and have completely lost any capability of saying something of worth. You have no idea if ND is leaving HE, Q is jumping to HE, and if the Ivies have any interest in leaving the ECAC, just like the rest of us. Dont post your feelings disguised as what the 6 ADs and Presidents of the Ivies think.
        Quinnipiac University '15
        ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
        ECAC Championship: 2016
        NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
        NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
        Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Well, isn't all this useless drivel just boat loads of fun and joy? ...

Anywho, onto to better things, like our 7 game winning streak and the chances of it continuing through this coming weekend ... I fully expect Friday nights games to be an absolute battle and I am thrilled to be able to make it in person (first time ever at the Q here)! If we make it through the game Friday and the winning streak continues, I will thrilled (obviously), but hopeful that we don't have a let down from that point on. After Friday's game, the remaining teams we play are all teams we beat previously and a loss might be a bit deflating, especially considering it would be the loss that snaps the winning streak. Sometimes a loss, if at the right time, can be a good thing. Of course, going undefeated the rest of the season is also a good thing as well, although unlikely!

Bottom line, keep the pedal to the metal, don't let up, play a full/hard game and everything will be fine. Don't let any slip-ups set the precedent for the remainder of the season. We have a great team this year and I am now looking forward to the finishing stretch of what has turned out to be an unexpectedly pleasant season ... Let's Go Saints!!!
          St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
          4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
          2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
          16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
          2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

6 teams get an AQ. The Ivies would be guaranteed to have at least one team in the tournament every year. That's about the only way the ECAC splits.

And as long as the Burgermeister stays hot, you guys are good to go.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Q-suc is much closer to Northeastern, U-Mass Lowell and Merrimack than it is to Yale, Princeton, SLU or Colgate...
              You know, there's a lot going on with your post from your unwarranted high horse, but just one example of something you know jack squat about:

Northeastern's median SAT score (25-75%) for admitted students is 1940-2200 and their acceptance rate is 32% from a gigantic, 25,000+ applicant pool. St. Lawrence's median range is 1710-1920 with a 46% acceptance rate.

What exactly was your point saying quinnipiac is more like Northeastern than SLU? Was that a compliment?
              BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
              -
              Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                You are now just saying whatever you want and have completely lost any capability of saying something of worth. You have no idea if ND is leaving HE, Q is jumping to HE, and if the Ivies have any interest in leaving the ECAC, just like the rest of us. Dont post your feelings disguised as what the 6 ADs and Presidents of the Ivies think.
                That's where you are wrong because that's exactly what happened when the ECAC split apart and Hockey East was formed and for the same reasons. The ivies and non Ivies didn't want to be a part of schools emphasizing big time athletics and promoting their programs to be in the "pro mold", and the HEA schools wanted to be in the super league with WCHA schools. It's a historical fact. The league was the same core 10 teams except Union in for Army and Q in for Vermont. No one cares that you don't like the facts and feel like your school is getting picked on. Q is not an Ivy and is not a D3 school with a D3 mentality. Everyone else in the league is one of this except Colgate which is an exceptional academic institution and Q which is essentially a new, for profit, institution that with their new rink has made it clear they fit the exact HEA mold all the ECAC schools wanted to get away from!

Comment

That's where you are wrong because that's exactly what happened when the ECAC split apart and Hockey East was formed and for the same reasons. The ivies and non Ivies didn't want to be a part of schools emphasizing big time athletics and promoting their programs to be in the "pro mold", and the HEA schools wanted to be in the super league with WCHA schools. It's a historical fact. The league was the same core 10 teams except Union in for Army and Q in for Vermont. No one cares that you don't like the facts and feel like your school is getting picked on. Q is not an Ivy and is not a D3 school with a D3 mentality. Everyone else in the league is one of this except Colgate which is an exceptional academic institution and Q which is essentially a new, for profit, institution that with their new rink has made it clear they fit the exact HEA mold all the ECAC schools wanted to get away from!
                  Q's rink has the exact same capacity as Ingalls. Just because it is newer does not make it Hockey East ready as i think someone already pointed out. The venom you spew about the QU program is becoming comical. QU, Yale and Union have raised the ECAC profile to the highest heights the league has seen in years. Whether or not you can live with that or just wallow in your holier than thou mentality is your choice. The best way to get back at Rand is beating them when it counts.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                    Well, isn't all this useless drivel just boat loads of fun and joy? ...
                    Reading all of it has been like watching paint dry. By the sounds of it, you'd think the Q and SLU were appearing on Friday's Jeopardy Show instead of playing an important hockey game.

As a reminder, Mark, that infamous meeting in The Hoot that you spoke of took place in March of 2009. And, it was a real idiot (me) that invited you to join us very "welcoming" SLU fans after your 6.5 or so hr. drive. That's still one of my favorite memories over all these years.
                    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                      Reading all of it has been like watching paint dry. By the sounds of it, you'd think the Q and SLU were appearing on Friday's Jeopardy Show instead of playing an important hockey game.

As a reminder, Mark, that infamous meeting in The Hoot that you spoke of took place in March of 2009. And, it was a real idiot (me) that invited you to join us very "welcoming" SLU fans after your 6.5 or so hr. drive. That's still one of my favorite memories over all these years.
                      This is what happened to my buddy Paul up there this year! https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...b57ba2686c1d7c
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        This is what happened to my buddy Paul up there this year! https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...b57ba2686c1d7c
                        Was a fun night.

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
                          You know, there's a lot going on with your post from your unwarranted high horse, but just one example of something you know jack squat about:

Northeastern's median SAT score (25-75%) for admitted students is 1940-2200 and their acceptance rate is 32% from a gigantic, 25,000+ applicant pool. St. Lawrence's median range is 1710-1920 with a 46% acceptance rate.

What exactly was your point saying quinnipiac is more like Northeastern than SLU? Was that a compliment?
                          So this BC asswipe has this to say about SLU:

you are a god**** moron. nobody knows or cares about St. Lawrence outside the greater ottawa area. enjoy your unwarranted high horse. -joegrav

Wonder why he is an SLU thread since he/she/it is in Boston and no one down there cares about SLU. I love it when the BC muppets start walking upright and like it even more when they contradict themselves so blatantly.

Yeah, so what if Northeastern does have a lot of applicants. So does BU, BC and about every other school in metro Boston. What a shocker, a lot of people want to go to college in Boston. The thing is some people here can figure out from the 30 posts that say the same thing which is that 30 years ago the league basically split by schools that offer scholarships and those that don't or didn't and/or are D3 institutions playing up in hockey. Army was admitted but they are handicapped by where they can recruit and who they can recruit. See the difference? Northeastern and QU are scholarship schools, with D1 sports and who strive to be big time athletics and who can get just about anyone admitted. Hmmm, wonder why schools didn't want to compete in a league that spent more on a scoreboard than their own barns cost to build and who have big budgets and big ambition. The day any other ECAC school would pay to have their games broadcast on NESN is the day hell freezes over. Gradually, all non-ivies have added some for of scholarships except Union which does their own thing, but with the exception of Colgate they are still D3 schools. Try to follow the birdy and realize this is the key difference and why Q doesn't fit. Only 2 ECAC schools have new rinks since the split - Clarkson and Q as opposed to almost every hockey east team (ironically except Northeastern). See the difference?

As far as I am concerned if Hockey East wants them, they can have them. If not, or until then, they are still the last team I'd root for in the league and all of the above is just part of the reason why.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                            Wrong again, but don't let that stop you. Some is confirmed and some isn't, namely what ND is doing and if HEA would recruit Q-suc. Mike Schafer made his feelings known pretty clearly and, suffice it to say, he is not alone. If you think further confirmation is needed about Ivies opposing scholarships then you are not very tuned in. That aside, its only reason one of many why it would be a blessing if Q jumped.

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post

And by the way Q-suc has an acceptance rate of 66% out of 17000+ applicants which is more than 4 times the number that apply to SLU. Northeastern has 60,000 applicants. That is the sole reason they are highly selective. You have to whittle 60000 down to a class size of 4000-5000. As that single class of undergrads is more than twice the entire enrollment of most ECAC non-ivies maybe you could assume Q doesn't fit from an enrollment perspective either.

Comment

Just an FYI, this recent article by a student reporter at ND re-ignited this speculation. http://ndsmcobserver.com/2015/01/car...e-hockey-east/
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X