This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Good luck the rest of the way, you guys have a very good team this year.
    Union College Hockey
    2014 NCAA National Champions
    2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Wow.....just wow! Speechless.

Certainly didn't expect that.

Mark.....we love ya. Didn't realize Mc Donald was retiring. He certainly has done a wonderful job bringing all those programs along. I do think you have a point about the success.
      SLU

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports View Post
        Wow.....just wow! Speechless.

Certainly didn't expect that.

Mark.....we love ya. Didn't realize Mc Donald was retiring. He certainly has done a wonderful job bringing all those programs along. I do think you have a point about the success.
        I really like Mark as well but I don't necessarily agree with the statement about ECAC success. How many championships have they won? I know they have won a ton of games but the fact is that someone has knocked them off every year. I think it could be making things worse but when asked if the feelings would be the same in the absence of all the success,, I say yes. Although if they hadn't won maybe they would have a different coach by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          Marnell is a fantastic player but the best thing is I am not sure he is even in the top 3 of his class. I have to think that Hayton and Gluchowski are the top 2 candidates for ROTY. After that, Lough I think is the best overall forward in that class. Marnell is a guy they thought would zip around, has great hands and can stick handle in a phone booth and score some goals. He is as sold. He has been making me really happy with his play on the PK, and, arguably he and Sullivan have the biggest goals for this team in the last 3 weeks.

This team is rock solid. The defense has improved so much since not only last year but the beginning of this year. The team is so balanced offensively and defensively. The play right now gives me so much hope knowing what is coming in with guys like Pritchard, Nielsen, Conger and Corriveau. We are going to miss Hughes and his leadership which has emerged to be something special this year. What he does out there can't be measured. Ditto for Doherty. Bruckel has been making a huge contribution in the second half, but the one guy that is really going to be missed is, the warrior, Chris Martin. He plays hard minutes on the blue line and battles hard and has a lot of speed. BUT, this class is not like the other classes who felt like the cupboards were going to be bare. In fact, it's the opposite. My optimism for the future is soaring. I put Gunnar Hughes on the pedestal for his leadership the way I put Bob Prier's up there in 1999 before the good years that followed that year. However, I think this is an even better team than that.

Tonight is a test. Union has some of the highest scorers in the nation in Ciampini and Vecchione. We have to play a very solid defensive game and score on our chances. This team has been on a roll all without production from the PP. Man, if they can get that firing half as good as last year....there should be some smiles in Canton.
          Test passed with flying colors. The bye week is looking good right now.

Well, Hayton and the team were 1:01 away from attaining a school-record fifth shutout in one season. Maybe my eyes are really bad, but Union looked WAY offsides just before breaking the SO bid. And, Greg and Wally said that Kyle has a 3.50 GPA so far. This will really fire up the CCT fans, but I salute Kyle three and one-half times for that.

As for the Q-Pac thing, the only thing I'm going to offer on them right now is that we play them next and that Mark and the other Q-Pac fans that I've met are first-rate people. That should be a tremendous game.
          Last edited by Muskieman; 02-07-2015, 09:11 PM.
          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
            I really like Mark as well but I don't necessarily agree with the statement about ECAC success. How many championships have they won? I know they have won a ton of games but the fact is that someone has knocked them off every year. I think it could be making things worse but when asked if the feelings would be the same in the absence of all the success,, I say yes. Although if they hadn't won maybe they would have a different coach by now.
            What I meant by success is that we've been in the top half of the league since joining and have yet to be a doormat or cellar dwellers.

Everyone has to realize that QU, from the president down, has used athletics (and not just hockey... remember they have a basketball arena at the Bank as well) to promote the university. They're not marketing sports, they're marketing academics. While president Lahey fully supports the athletic department, he is first and foremost about the school as an academic institution.

As for the coach, at this point I don't see him going anywhere unless he wants to. He's done too much with the program and for the school. Then again, with a new boss coming in, anything can happen. My biggest fear is that they try to become a basketball school.

Looks like Friday will be an interesting night in Hamden. Anyone making the trip?
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
            Northeast Regional:
            West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              What I meant by success is that we've been in the top half of the league since joining and have yet to be a doormat or cellar dwellers.

Everyone has to realize that QU, from the president down, has used athletics (and not just hockey... remember they have a basketball arena at the Bank as well) to promote the university. They're not marketing sports, they're marketing academics. While president Lahey fully supports the athletic department, he is first and foremost about the school as an academic institution.

As for the coach, at this point I don't see him going anywhere unless he wants to. He's done too much with the program and for the school. Then again, with a new boss coming in, anything can happen. My biggest fear is that they try to become a basketball school.

Looks like Friday will be an interesting night in Hamden. Anyone making the trip?
              FWIW, in my case, if you look back, I've been consistent in my view of qpac joining the the ECAC -- long before they joined the league and long before they were successful in the league. I don't have anything against the college, it's students or alumni -- And SLU and every other ECAC team has benefited in the PWR over the last few year's from q's national success. I have just always believed that the school was dead wrong for the ECAC, given the ECAC's profile and history.
              St. Lawrence University
              World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                I have just always believed that the school was dead wrong for the ECAC, given the ECAC's profile and history.
                I didn't start following until they were already in the ECAC so I'll defer to those that have been around longer. However, while that argument may have been true in 2006, I don't think it applies today.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                Northeast Regional:
                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                  That US and News Rankings are pretty convoluted. Quinnipiac isn't even listed or rated in the "National" Universities category While Princeton (#1) Harvard (#2), Ylae (#3), Dartmouth (#11), Cornell (#15), Brown (#16), RPI (#42) and Clarkson (#121) are all ranked.

Many of the others are ranked in the National Liberal Arts category (which Q Pac is not) with Colgate (#34) Union (41) and SLU (56) the only other schools being ranked. By the by Holy Cross is (#34). Q is only rated in the "Northeast Ratings" which are only Regional.

My argument isn't largely based on academics although one could make the case Q is the easiest to enter of any school in the conference....it is based on the "mission" or "intent" of the University with it's athletic programs. They spend and market Q Hockey as if they were a minor league franchise. They are the only team in the ECAC that "markets" their hockey program to that degree. Their athletic budget to promote their hockey and basketball programs is in my opinion more what makes them an awkward fit. The emphasis on athletics, the marketing and spending large amounts of dollars on promoting it and recruiting are what makes me feel they do not fit. They are a Hockey East mentality is every regard and probably (whether these rumors are true or not) will eventually wind up there.
                  No matter where each school is placed in those categories, each is given a ranking score from 1-100. Here is the ECAC list updated with correction on Union.

Princeton 100
                  Harvard 99
                  Yale 98
                  Dartmouth 90
                  Cornell 85
                  Brown 84
                  Colgate 83
                  Union 73
                  Quinnipiac 72
                  St Lawrence 65
                  RPI 62
                  Clarkson 41

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...-2829/rankings

Also as mentioned by Mark earlier, the AD is a BC guy and is now on the way out. Not sure who the next one is.
                  Last edited by LTsatch; 02-08-2015, 09:20 AM. Reason: Typo
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Well, the score speaks for itself. Really, really wish we could have given Kyle the shutout, but that was a great shot by the Union player.

I was a little disappointed with how chippy the game got for the last 30 minutes. Shame on the refs for a circus out there, that was the worst I've seen this season, as they truly seemed to make things up as they went.

Now I've got a bit of a tough decision to make, trying to decide if I want to plan my drive back to Florida around the QU game Friday. I'd love to get there for it, but it's a little out of the way, and I'm planning to stay with friends in Albany Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                      That US and News Rankings are pretty convoluted. Quinnipiac isn't even listed or rated in the "National" Universities category While Princeton (#1) Harvard (#2), Ylae (#3), Dartmouth (#11), Cornell (#15), Brown (#16), RPI (#42) and Clarkson (#121) are all ranked.

Many of the others are ranked in the National Liberal Arts category (which Q Pac is not) with Colgate (#34) Union (41) and SLU (56) the only other schools being ranked. By the by Holy Cross is (#34). Q is only rated in the "Northeast Ratings" which are only Regional.

My argument isn't largely based on academics although one could make the case Q is the easiest to enter of any school in the conference....it is based on the "mission" or "intent" of the University with it's athletic programs. They spend and market Q Hockey as if they were a minor league franchise. They are the only team in the ECAC that "markets" their hockey program to that degree. Their athletic budget to promote their hockey and basketball programs is in my opinion more what makes them an awkward fit. The emphasis on athletics, the marketing and spending large amounts of dollars on promoting it and recruiting are what makes me feel they do not fit. They are a Hockey East mentality is every regard and probably (whether these rumors are true or not) will eventually wind up there.
                      This is such a good post and spot on. As one of the detractors of their coach I'll just say this, if their fans, players, parents, alums, and admin knew all the things that I know, they would share the disgust or they wouldn't have an opinion worth listening to. I am not about to divulge all my sources and betray confidences.

Moreover, I was horrified when they were admitted to the league. It's a black sheep in a flock of golden fleece.

Finally, as for US News and World Report, please don't waste my time. That school ranks BC as the best school in Boston because of criteria other than what really matters. Yeah, like more than maybe 5% of the BC students could get into MIT or Harvard or even Tufts for that matter. The Princeton Review rates SLU very highly in many categories. Q-suc is on par with other parochial and vocational schools whose academic mission and philosophy is completely counter to the liberal arts heart at the core of the ECAC. Q-suc is much closer to Northeastern, U-Mass Lowell and Merrimack than it is to Yale, Princeton, SLU or Colgate. Trust me, except for Pecknold which is a different issue, I wouldn't be thrilled with virtually any of the ACA teams except the service academies. From my first game as a Saint when Plattsburgh State players were jumping out of a red bird house to next Friday's game when they'll probably have their Vegas Style announcer yelling "Let's get ready to rumble" there's schools that are on the same wavelength as SLU and there are schools are not. There's nothing worse than living in a neighborhood of big, beautiful colonial and georgian houses and having someone move in that builds a sprawling ranch and paints it hot pink.

None of this is personally directed at any of the Q-suc faithful on USCHO. If they knew what I knew, I somehow doubt there would be much argument from them.

Of course, we are irrelevant so I'll stop now.
                      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        No matter where each school is placed in those categories, each is given a ranking score from 1-100. Here is the ECAC list

Princeton 100
                        Harvard 99
                        Yale 98
                        Dartmouth 90
                        Cornell 85
                        Brown 84
                        Colgate 83
                        Quinnipiac 72
                        St Lawrence 65
                        RPI 62
                        Clarkson 41
                        Union 33

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...-2829/rankings

Also as mentioned by Mark earlier, the AD is a BC guy and is now on the way out. Not sure who the next one is.
                        This implies that Q-suc's score is twice as high as Union's? Give me a ****ing break! That pretty well eviscerates any claim by anyone calling that report credible.
                        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Simply worth noting that we have moved up to #17 in the pairwise. Just keep winning and worry about our own path.

Comment

Congrats to the Saints on a fantastic game. Fastest team top to bottom I've seen this year - including BU, Qpac & SCSU. The pace of the first period killed Union and then the floodgates opened. I know its not his team anymore, but Joe Marsh must be pleased with what Carvel is doing. Not to sound like a Harvard fan , but I do think U was a little banged up from Friday night in Potsdam and hopefully can make a better showing at the rematch in Schenectady. Good luck going foward, would be nice to see you guys make the dance.
                            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                              Actually, I will be making this trip. This is my first ever visit to the Q and Princeton and I look forward to it, especially if we continue to play the way we have been playing. This team is on a tear of late and they are certainly opening up some eyes. I couldn't be prouder and the first round bye is definitely looking good at this point. WE just got to keep the pedal to the metal. Let's Go Saints!!!
                              St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                              4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                              2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                              16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                              2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                                Well, the score speaks for itself. Really, really wish we could have given Kyle the shutout, but that was a great shot by the Union player.

I was a little disappointed with how chippy the game got for the last 30 minutes. Shame on the refs for a circus out there, that was the worst I've seen this season, as they truly seemed to make things up as they went.

Now I've got a bit of a tough decision to make, trying to decide if I want to plan my drive back to Florida around the QU game Friday. I'd love to get there for it, but it's a little out of the way, and I'm planning to stay with friends in Albany Friday night.
                                You should go! This is actually a really big game and all the support they can get would be great, especially in a tough environment on the road. I hope we can pull this one off on Friday. My goodness, wouldn't that be something else?
                                Last edited by Saints#1; 02-07-2015, 11:54 PM.
                                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Working...
                                X