X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
    Congrats to Matt Carey for scoring his first NHL goal tonight in only his second career game. Do the Saints proud in the Big Show!
    You mean........ "Matt we hardly knew ye Carey?"
    SLU

Comment

So back to marketing talk...

A few additional thoughts I had would be for the school to survey season ticket holders, students and general admission purchasers. It's important to know what the fans like and dislike and see how you can improve the overall experience. This can be done pretty easily online. Along those lines, I would think the team could offer partial season ticket and flex packages as well. The more flexible you are for folks, the more people you can rope into games.

While professional teams have been doing the above suggestions for years now, you are starting to see it at the college level as well.

Any additional thoughts?
      SLU '97

Comment

So back to marketing talk...

A few additional thoughts I had would be for the school to survey season ticket holders, students and general admission purchasers. It's important to know what the fans like and dislike and see how you can improve the overall experience. This can be done pretty easily online. Along those lines, I would think the team could offer partial season ticket and flex packages as well. The more flexible you are for folks, the more people you can rope into games.

While professional teams have been doing the above suggestions for years now, you are starting to see it at the college level as well.

Any additional thoughts?
        I think we can solve attendance woes by selling booze and firing Tom Budd. Seriously, booze can't hurt. Considering students, faculty and staff all get in free, I really don't think the issue is ticket packages. You know, one of the best yearly home advantages is when we play at Harvard. I really think SLU should push for more NC games in Boston and NYC area. I think short of having a championship team, there are too many factors against large home crowds.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          I think we can solve attendance woes by selling booze and firing Tom Budd.
          What's the issue with Tom Budd???
          SLU '97

Comment

What's the issue with Tom Budd???
            He totally sucks energy from the building and only does the announcing because his voice double Ned Flanders is too buys making episodes of the Simpsons. Also, he still can't get names right for SLU players that have been there for four years. I almost wanted Gostisbehere to score on us so it would give him a siezure. No, I mean he is a nice enough guy, but I really can't stand all of the announcements about crowd control and behavior modification. Go to a USHL game in Lincoln, Nebraska some time....they are crazy. The fans are having fun, they are hanging over the boards, etc. Granted they serve beer, there is fighting and concessions rock it with BBQ and all kinds of good things to eat, but there has to be more to get the fans involved in the game even if it is rude, expletive laced chants, rubber chickens, or whatever it takes. SLU hockey games are SOOO tame it feels more like Sunday church than a hockey game at times. I am not saying don't keep it classy, but I am saying we need more than a 50/50, a puck toss, and any excitement coming from the visitors section. Appleton is NOT intimidating and one reason why is Ned Flanders giving the "don't yell at refs shpiel....PA announcers should get people fired up, not throw a damp towel along with a butchered player name every five minutes.

Starting for the Saints, from lub-lay-ahn-ee, Slah-veeen-ia, Zeeeeeeeeega Peeeeetaaaack. When the lineup chart says Geeega Petaaaach

Comment

Appleton is NOT intimidating and one reason why is Ned Flanders giving the "don't yell at refs shpiel....PA announcers should get people fired up, not throw a damp towel
              I couldn't disagree more. Lynah is intimidating and it doesn't come from a forced WWF PA style. Starr does that and it's not intimidating, it makes the place seem like Chuck E. Cheese.

Please don't turn Appleton into a clown show.

The way the fans are enforced is a school decision, and it can definitely go overboard. We have had cycles of fascism and anarchy over the years, as the administration responds to successive calls for "Won't Somebody Think of the Children?!" followed by "The Ushers Are Waterboarding Entire Rows." There's a happy medium where the students can fight for their right to party and Betty Sue Townie's precious 4-year old isn't yelling "the ref fucks sheep" at Thanksgiving dinner.
              Last edited by Kepler; 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I couldn't disagree more. Lynah is intimidating and it doesn't come from a forced WWF PA style. Starr does that and it's not intimidating, it makes the place seem like Chuck E. Cheese.

Please don't turn Appleton into a clown show.

The way the fans are enforced is a school decision, and it can definitely go overboard. We have had cycles of fascism and anarchy over the years, as the administration responds to successive calls for "Won't Somebody Think of the Children?!" followed by "The Ushers Are Waterboarding Entire Rows." There's a happy medium where the students can fight for their right to party and Betty Sue Townie's precious 4-year old isn't yelling "the ref fucks sheep" at Thanksgiving dinner.
                Lol. How many times at Cornell do they make announcements about throwing Newspaper on the ice. I was half joking when I brought this up, but Appleton is way too extreme. It's like Lawrence Welk. I think SLU needs to be looking for some classy ways to add energy. The only games where that energy consistently is present are Clarkson games and, honestly, more than half comes from their band and fans.

Of course, the one lasting memory I have of it being too far the other way was Don Vaughan yelling down from the press box in 85-86 in a 6-5 OT win against Clarkson after Mike Hurlbut took a retaliation penalty in the third. The look on the faces of the folks in the President's contingent still make me laugh to this day. It was just so wrong, it was right.

Comment

I believe the Men's Banquet was held 4/5 and the Women's Banquet was held on 4/12. Any updates about both events would be appreciated.

As for Appleton, one change that should be made is to place opposing teams' bands as far away from our Student Section as possible. Yeah, it's nice to be an accommodating host - BUT giving said bands some of the best seats in the house and allowing them to completely drown out our Student Section is just plain stupid. Duh?
                  GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    It actually is true. Here are the only seasons where Union is officially recognized as playing D-1 (or its predecessor) hockey. The Harkness-coached teams of 1975-76 through 1977-78 were D-3 NESCAC.
                    You are correct on this.

As an aside, Union is now 7-2 in NCAA D-1 games; SLU is 5-26. That just isn't fair - in particular for us SLU fans who are older farts.
                    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                      I believe the Men's Banquet was held 4/5 and the Women's Banquet was held on 4/12. Any updates about both events would be appreciated.

As for Appleton, one change that should be made is to place opposing teams' bands as far away from our Student Section as possible. Yeah, it's nice to be an accommodating host - BUT giving said bands some of the best seats in the house and allowing them to completely drown out our Student Section is just plain stupid. Duh?
                      Look here Brian for the Men:

http://www.saintsathletics.com/news/...407145258.aspx

No real surprises...

MVP - Greg Carey
                      Jinx Doyle - Essery
                      Coaches Award - Wick
                      McGeough Award - Baker
                      Rookie - Bayreuther
                      Perserverence - Austin & Wenny
                      7th Player - Bruckel
                      Most Improved - Hagen
                      Brian McFarlane Award - Raley

I think these were all pretty obvious choices.

No mention of who the other captains are other than Hughes, but with such a small class for the Juniors and Sophomores I'm guessing Martin, Doherty and / or ......

I have to say, I am sorry to see Matt Raley go. To me, these guys are what it is all about. Walk-ons who both earned scholie money I believe, and both excellent students and hard working kids. What they lack in talent, they make up for in other ways.

Don't know when the schedule will be released but it is a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post

Yeah, I'd personally stick them in the stairwell to the northwest corner of Appleton. If they have to have seats, put them in the end section down low or up high above the entrance to Appleton. I'd put visiting compts in the few rows behind the visitors bench and expand the student section to the top rows behind the bench. Hospitable / Smospitable!! Cornell puts visitors in the crappiest 'O' section, RPI puts them behind beams, Harvard is generally similar to SLU, it does bother me that some of the best seats at Appleton are off limits to students and general admission.

Comment

Yeah, I'd personally stick them in the stairwell to the northwest corner of Appleton. If they have to have seats, put them in the end section down low or up high above the entrance to Appleton. I'd put visiting compts in the few rows behind the visitors bench and expand the student section to the top rows behind the bench. Hospitable / Smospitable!! Cornell puts visitors in the crappiest 'O' section, RPI puts them behind beams, Harvard is generally similar to SLU, it does bother me that some of the best seats at Appleton are off limits to students and general admission.
                          In the late 80's, this is where opposing bands used to be at Appleton. I remember being crammed into the top two rows in the corner to the goalie's left. I also remember Marty D'Orsonnes scoring for Clarkson with :03 on the clock to win 4-3, but that's a story for a different thread.
                          Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                          Clarkson 1990

Comment

Lol. How many times at Cornell do they make announcements about throwing Newspaper on the ice. I was half joking when I brought this up, but Appleton is way too extreme. It's like Lawrence Welk. I think SLU needs to be looking for some classy ways to add energy. The only games where that energy consistently is present are Clarkson games and, honestly, more than half comes from their band and fans.

Of course, the one lasting memory I have of it being too far the other way was Don Vaughan yelling down from the press box in 85-86 in a 6-5 OT win against Clarkson after Mike Hurlbut took a retaliation penalty in the third. The look on the faces of the folks in the President's contingent still make me laugh to this day. It was just so wrong, it was right.
                            Got6, I almost always agree with you on everything, but this subject I couldn't disagree more! When is the last time you have actually been to Appleton??? You're making it sound like the late 90's, when the team was struggling and so was the fan base. Your statement that the Clarkson band and fans bringing more than half of the energy leads me to believe you haven't frequented the SLU/Clarkson games at Appleton in years. SLU has restricted the number of members the Clarkson pep band are allowed to bring to 25 and it has made them irrelevant at Appleton ever since, which was much needed since those days back in the 90's. Plus, my opinion on this subject isn't just from being a homer fan, but from someone who has been to every single game since the early 90's. I have seen the ups and downs and the many changes to Appleton. Sometimes the energy is lacking a bit, but it's nowhere near the extreme that you made it appear here and 100% completely opposite of how you described the SLU/Clarkson games at Appleton.
                            Last edited by Saints#1; 04-18-2014, 11:43 AM.
                            St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                            4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                            2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                            16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                            2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                              Got6, I almost always agree with you on everything, but this subject I couldn't disagree more! When is the last time you have actually been to Appleton??? You're making it sound like the late 90's, when the team was struggling and so was the fan base. Your statement that the Clarkson band and fans bringing more than half of the energy leads me to believe you haven't frequented the SLU/Clarkson games at Appleton in years. SLU has restricted the number of members the Clarkson pep band are allowed to bring to 25 and it has made them irrelevant at Appleton ever since, which was much needed since those days back in the 90's. Plus, my opinion on this subject isn't just from being a homer fan, but from someone who has been to every single game since the early 90's. I have seen the ups and downs and the many changes to Appleton. Sometimes the energy is lacking a bit, but it's nowhere near the extreme that you made it appear here and 100% completely opposite of how you described the SLU/Clarkson games at Appleton.
                              IIRC, the 25-person limit for the opposing band has been in place longer than the 90s; the 1989 game (the game I described earlier today) was limited to 25.
                              Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                              Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                                IIRC, the 25-person limit for the opposing band has been in place longer than the 90s; the 1989 game (the game I described earlier today) was limited to 25.
                                Yep, pretty sure that's a standard rule either by NCAA or ECAC.

Comment

Working...
                                X