This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Game ends in a 3-3 tie. Not a single good thing I can say about that one. If you would have caught me after two periods I would've said not too shabby, but that 3rd period completely ruined this one for us. That was one tie that certainly felt like a loss!
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

This was a huge game for us to set the tone for the rest of the season. Another game full of awful mistakes and turnovers especially in our own zone. We just flat out quit in the third. The only bright thing I thought in this game was Hayton looked really sharp and made a number of big saves, so it looks like he will continue to give us a chance to win every game. It sure does feel more like a loss though, very disappointing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
        This was a huge game for us to set the tone for the rest of the season. Another game full of awful mistakes and turnovers especially in our own zone. We just flat out quit in the third. The only bright thing I thought in this game was Hayton looked really sharp and made a number of big saves, so it looks like he will continue to give us a chance to win every game. It sure does feel more like a loss though, very disappointing.
        Yup, dreadful! It was all bad. Northeastern is not very good and that tie felt like a win for them and a loss for us. Not sure what happened to Smolcynski but I didn't see him after the first so the lines were all screwed up. Some really bad penalties at key times coupled with some really, really bad calls! Hudson's HFB could have been bad and could have been 5 but was the right call at 2! Stunned the ref had the stones to call them for 5 which was the only call on that play...but it was a HFB not boarding. Sweetman played well after a sloppy first. Gluchowski showed flashes! The call on Ward late in the 3rd 6 seconds into the PP was a total dive by NE and the ref made a classic make up call.

We were standing around for long stretches...including their tying goal, the second goal was a great shot...no one stopping that. Looked like Giffins OT winner at Dartmouth a bunch of years ago.

But, we had a meltdown in the 3rd. How do you give up a 3-0 lead??? And a shorty to start their scoring. That was just not acgood game! And what is with the timeouts to scrape the ice?? Is that a HEA thing because they need retraining??😜. Seriously, hurts the better skating team and gives them 6 timeouts instead of one. That was one of the least entertaining games I can remember. We started the first half with a thud. Let's hope we can find our winning ways tomorrow and find some chemistry on our lines. There sure wasn't any tonight. We also need to be weary of makeup calls. After every call we got, they got one deserved or not. Calls on Masella and last one on award were to of the worst calls I have seen all season and on the latter they should have got the only one for diving!

Finally, I bet Greg mentioned the Spartans win against Baylor at least 20 times! Am I right?
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
          Also good the PP got some goals...3-8 is good except the shorty. That was a lot like RIT to start the year. There has to be more passion and fire to play for the wins.

That place is almost as bad as Brown and worse in some ways...the doors kept popping open! They should hire some real engineers across the river to fix those! It's called a latch!!

Comment

Re the ice scrapes: As I understand it, HEA gave each member institution the option of having ice scrapes every six-or-so minutes in games where there is no TV coverage and, therefore, no TV time outs. Apparently, the NU powers that be opted for it although the NU fan base almost universally despises it, with a vengeance.

Re the officiating: A classic Kevin Shea "call-everything-even-if-you-have-to-make-it-up" game. The guy is known for filling up the penalty sections of score sheets, even in the most docile of games. I have no idea how he survives.

Re the latch: Beyond embarrassing. The kid who fell through the unlatched gate was an NU player and the stoppage not only stopped an NU breakout but also forced them do defend a faceoff (which they lost) in their own end with 14.4 seconds left. Potentially disastrous for both the player and team. If I were sitting near that exit and the Larries scored in the last 14.4, I would probably be in jail right now.
            Last edited by Split-N; 01-02-2015, 11:19 PM.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
              Yup, dreadful! It was all bad. Northeastern is not very good and that tie felt like a win for them and a loss for us. Not sure what happened to Smolcynski but I didn't see him after the first so the lines were all screwed up. Some really bad penalties at key times coupled with some really, really bad calls! Hudson's HFB could have been bad and could have been 5 but was the right call at 2! Stunned the ref had the stones to call them for 5 which was the only call on that play...but it was a HFB not boarding. Sweetman played well after a sloppy first. Gluchowski showed flashes! The call on Ward late in the 3rd 6 seconds into the PP was a total dive by NE and the ref made a classic make up call.

We were standing around for long stretches...including their tying goal, the second goal was a great shot...no one stopping that. Looked like Giffins OT winner at Dartmouth a bunch of years ago.

But, we had a meltdown in the 3rd. How do you give up a 3-0 lead??? And a shorty to start their scoring. That was just not acgood game! And what is with the timeouts to scrape the ice?? Is that a HEA thing because they need retraining??😜. Seriously, hurts the better skating team and gives them 6 timeouts instead of one. That was one of the least entertaining games I can remember. We started the first half with a thud. Let's hope we can find our winning ways tomorrow and find some chemistry on our lines. There sure wasn't any tonight. We also need to be weary of makeup calls. After every call we got, they got one deserved or not. Calls on Masella and last one on award were to of the worst calls I have seen all season and on the latter they should have got the only one for diving!

Finally, I bet Greg mentioned the Spartans win against Baylor at least 20 times! Am I right?
              Glad Carvy's recap on USCHO said it all in a way that I didn't want to say it. A complete lack of desperation and "that killer instinct" Joe Marsh preached when in the lead.

These guys have the talent to win a lot of games and be in LP and maybe the dance, but if you are going to mail it in the way they did last night don't even bother thinking about it!

And the officiating was dreadful. Flow killing! It was fairly consistent, but so many make up calls and some really dreadful calls, and not just on penalties, but icings and off sides. Further, they only D-men I wanted on both ends of the ice last night were Sweetman and Gluchowski! Best forward was probably McGovern or Ward but the latter did get two penalties.

This team also needs Thompson to start burying a few...that made a big difference early in the season. I was very frustrated with guys making no look passes last night and missing the net on shots. It's great that you can shoot it through the boards, but if you are 15 feet wide all that you're gonna do is scare some school girls behind the glass!

Anyway, Carvy nailed it...a real lack of effort / desperation that this team hadn't showed until now.

Comment

Few lineup changes:

Dahl in for Smolcynski (who has flu)
                Bruckel for Hagen
                Purmal for Masella
                Graham for Eden

Win instead of tie? I hope!

Comment

Take my comments from last nights game and insert them here ... I think it's back to the drawing board for these guys and this includes the coaching staff! What they are throwing out there isn't working, especially on offense. We look lost/confused and that is about the only thing I see consistent from this team. What is even scarier is that this same mid-season mess happens every single year. At what point do we start divulging a little deeper into our thoughts as to what the real problem/problems might be? ... I think we all know what they say about trends in sports

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                  9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                    Take my comments from last nights game and insert them here ... I think it's back to the drawing board for these guys and this includes the coaching staff! What they are throwing out there isn't working, especially on offense. We look lost/confused and that is about the only thing I see consistent from this team. What is even scarier is that this same mid-season mess happens every single year. At what point do we start divulging a little deeper into our thoughts as to what the real problem/problems might be? ... I think we all know what they say about trends in sports
                    It's pretty easy to see what the problem is, same old story for 3 years,I think our high school team would of given them a good game this week-end. We just beat one of the top teams in the state from Buffalo 6 to 0 yesterday.Can you imagine what there record would be without Hayden in goal? They can't get in the offenseive zone, off sides all night, and than they shoot it in and the other team comes out with it., No set plays, every man for himself , they look like an adult Sat. nite hockey game at our local arena. God I miss Joe------
                    brashersaintsfan

Comment

Originally posted by slu fan View Post
                      It's pretty easy to see what the problem is, same old story for 3 years,I think our high school team would of given them a good game this week-end. We just beat one of the top teams in the state from Buffalo 6 to 0 yesterday.Can you imagine what there record would be without Hayden in goal? They can't get in the offenseive zone, off sides all night, and than they shoot it in and the other team comes out with it., No set plays, every man for himself , they look like an adult Sat. nite hockey game at our local arena. God I miss Joe------
                      As disappointed as I am in this weekends results........I think you are way off base here, particularly with your last statement unless it is pure sentiment of missing someone who is no longer here.
                      We all miss Joe for the great character, coach and influence he was on the team, players and university. We also miss his sense of humor. However, nothing is forever and change and a new coaching staff was inevitable. Also, if you have seen Joe since he retired you would know how great he looks, how happy he is, how healthy he is.
                      I for one am very comfortable with the coaching staff we have. In fact in many area's I think the coaching set up we have now is far superior to what we had. Our recruiting is better and stronger....the program is being grown in ways (that it was not growing before.) We have top level talent with NHL and AHL coaching and playing experience behind the bench. The program is better and growing in ways that it needed to and frankly as much as we all loved Joe, it was not growing the last few years of his tenure for a variety of reasons including his health.

Also....if you think this team is every man for himself; then we have not been watching the same team all season. Sure, we are disappointed in the recent results, but this group has played with more team work, verve, hustle and teamwork than any of the past 5-6 teams have. We're in a rough patch. We were picked to finish 11th or 12th. Success isn't going to come overnight and I think our expectations were falsely raised with the start this team had. It'll get better. And I for one love the staff we have in place, and am completely comfortable with the direction the program is headed.
                      SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                        As disappointed as I am in this weekends results........I think you are way off base here, particularly with your last statement unless it is pure sentiment of missing someone who is no longer here.
                        We all miss Joe for the great character, coach and influence he was on the team, players and university. We also miss his sense of humor. However, nothing is forever and change and a new coaching staff was inevitable. Also, if you have seen Joe since he retired you would know how great he looks, how happy he is, how healthy he is.
                        I for one am very comfortable with the coaching staff we have. In fact in many area's I think the coaching set up we have now is far superior to what we had. Our recruiting is better and stronger....the program is being grown in ways (that it was not growing before.) We have top level talent with NHL and AHL coaching and playing experience behind the bench. The program is better and growing in ways that it needed to and frankly as much as we all loved Joe, it was not growing the last few years of his tenure for a variety of reasons including his health.

Also....if you think this team is every man for himself; then we have not been watching the same team all season. Sure, we are disappointed in the recent results, but this group has played with more team work, verve, hustle and teamwork than any of the past 5-6 teams have. We're in a rough patch. We were picked to finish 11th or 12th. Success isn't going to come overnight and I think our expectations were falsely raised with the start this team had. It'll get better. And I for one love the staff we have in place, and am completely comfortable with the direction the program is headed.
                        100% ditto. I agree right down the line on this one. For a team picked to finish 11th in the ECAC to have wins against Ferris, Miami, Yale, Cornell, 4 shut outs at the midpoint, I am not complaining. We were the better team tonight. We won a lot of battles. Unfortunately, we lost one important one at the end of the game that gave them an odd-man rush and essentially a breakaway goal. Graham, I think, goes up catches the puck puts it on his stick and the Husky player is skating full speed and steals it off his stick as he puts it down off balance. He got out-muscled, plain and simple. Sure, we'd be much worse off without Hayton, but Parks did play well against Vermont and just imagine how good we could have been last year with Hayton.

First, while I am ****ed we lost, at least we played with some gumption tonight. It was night and day better and some guys like Horn, Bayreuther, Martin were 100% better. Further, I am certain that Horn's shot at the 10 minute mark of the first was in. Several others sitting by me also thought so. ****ed it wasn't reviewed. I had a good angle and it hit the bar at the top of the back of the net and was in and out very fast. Second, we played tighter defense and moved the puck out of the zone much more easily. Northeastern is a fast team too, we can't overcommit forechecking. Their best player played tonight and he was very good. He got their first goal on a good individual effort and he got their empty netter. At the end of the night, we had more chances and we didn't bury them. They had enough chances and they did. Their first two goals were powerplay goals and no one is stopping their second goal. Officiating was much better tonight. At least the game had some flow. They still missed a ton, and until they got nailed for too many men I was starting to think it would take someone getting shot for them to call anything on them. Linesmen were brutal both night with "what the hell were they thinking" icing and offside calls and non-calls. My opinion on some of our offensive woes is that we win the speed battles and the skill battles but not the strength battles. Having Smolcynski out also hurts. He is a decent PP guy and one of our better offensive players. I am not enamored with the PP unit of Hughes, Doherty and Ward. Bottomline, crappy results this weekend. Crappy effort last night. Much better tonight but Northeastern stole it. Hayton was good, but mortal. The angle I had I thought they were going to score when they hit the pipe on the PP with about 6 left. Better job staying out of the box tonight but their PP was 100 times better. Again, I thought we were the better team.

As for this team, this staff, and this current streak. 3 or 4 points next weekend and these two games are pretty meaningless. I don't understand why we continue to meltdown every year after losing to Clarkson. We do need some more reliable scorers. We do need some forwards that can score on the PP. But I am not ready to hit the panic button or jump off the bandwagon. Our defense is 10 times better than last year. So is our goaltending. Our forwards are not as good with loss of Carey squared and Wick, but we are deeper and can roll four lines better than last year, and we have guys in the Freshmen class that are going to have very good careers. Lough, Marnell, and Horn in particular can contribute offensively, and I really like Sullivan as a 2 way player. I think we are already going to be better next year than we are this year. The recruiting is drastically improved with more emphasis on the USHL. Nielsen, Conger and Corriveau are all very good from what I have seen and assuming they dont get swiped by Boston scum, I think we are going to be in the hunt very soon. Carvy wants to win. Carvy is smart as hell. I don't know DeMichel, but Carvy and Hurly are total class guys that know the game, know how to coach, and represent the university impeccably. Th ere is parity. Even with Princeton who can't score, there are no easy wins. I miss Joe. I'm sure Carvy and Hurley miss Joe. He was our mentor and he got results with guys that were less talented than some of us would have liked. He was the best coach in the game, but he didn't want to coach anymore and was sick of watching guys get concussions. I think Jared Keller's woes took 5 years off his career. And because Joe cares, he wanted to turn the program over to someone that he knows can take us to the next level and when Carvy came home it was an easy decision for Joe. We had a great recruiting class last year with Bayreuther, Sweetman, Graham, Masella, Ward, Hudson, McGovern, Parks and whoever I missed. Bayreuther was the leading d-man scorer and, for my money, the SOLE ROTY of the league last year even though Sweetman is my fave of the two. Then the come back with Lough, Purmal, Eden, Hayton, Marnell, Horn, Sullivan, and whoever I missed and are recruited for future years. For my money there is no more clear MVP for their team than Hayton in the entire league and should be well positioned for ROTY. I think the corner has been turned. Yeah, this is frustrating, and yeah there were a lot of offisides, but Northeastern was trapping and their clear was a lot of lobs out of the zone to counter SLU's speed and transition game. They also were swinging guys high to neutralize our points. They also dove a lot and got calls that they shouldn't have both nights. Bottomline, this was a crap weekend but it was not a 'the world is ending' weekend. I personally think we are on the way up, and though I love Wellsy, I think we have the perfect staff for today and for the future...maybe even better than Joe. Take a deep breath. Look at how young we are. Look at where we are and have faith. Hope we break this slump and at least get to .500 hockey. But regardless, I like our recruiting, I like our staff, I like our trajectory and I like the way we responded after a bad effort. We were much better. So was Northeastern and they got a key bounce at the end. If Horn's shot was in and it counted, that is a much different game. Rather that pull the chute I just challenge the guys. You know you can play with and beat anybody, so do it because losing sucks. I'll put $5 on the table now that we get to LP this year. I think we will if we avoid key injuries and the guys don't quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                          At the end of the night, we had more chances and we didn't bury them.
                          Whatever other issues the team needs to address, if they could go back over the past couple of months and just change this one thing, their record would be dramatically different. If they could finish, they would have swept UVM, for example.

Comment

Glad the non-league portion of the schedule is finished and we can move on and focus and playing our best hockey (hopefully). I for one am completely sick of losing, so I hope we turn this around and quick! Cornell and Colgate always gives us a hard time regardless of where we play so it will be a good test for us to get back into league play with. Here's hoping for an above .500 second half of the season and potentially a good push for a first round bye.

Comment

I'll be at both games this weekend, since I'm home (NY) and just waiting until surgery next Tuesday. HOPING to be well enough to catch Yale/Brown as well, but that might be a stretch to stand for 2+ hours and 30 min drive each way. Should be well enough to go to Potsdam end of the month though, I think.

Comment

Observations by "Got 6..." puts me in a better frame of mind for CU game on Friday

Journeying from Rochester I will be in northwest corner of Appleton w/ BJ Wilkinson former
                                owner of B and B at the (very) old Beta House at 12 College Street.
                                Her 61st year of following SLU hockey
                                SLU65

Comment

Working...
                                X