X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
    I wasn't referring to whether or not they know the UVM players names. Whoever was announcing said that Paliotta was borderline dirty (which he is notm his calls tend to be tripping/holding not crosscheck/board) for what probably should have been a boarding call on him. Yet one of your guys sends Stenerson head over heals on what is basically a trip and he isn't dirty (just a missed call?). And the two rushes to the net that resulted in penalties. It's fine to disagree with the calls but don't make it sound like the greatest miscarriage of justice in history. Generally speaking when the guy rushing the net has position on the defender and goes down there will be a penalty (even if he plows into the goalie as he wouldnt have gone down had he not been pushed). Yes they might be marginal calls but they get called all the time. That's the homer part to which I was referring. The over dramatic reaction to calls that are made all the time.
    In 30 years of watching SLU hockey with these commentators, SLU gets those calls with ECAC refs less than 20% of the time. You shouldn't take what they say about UVM players personally. The frustration and the shrill voices are related to the officials and 30 years of frustration and disgust which is the one major detraction from following this team in the league they play in. Take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes they go overboard, but you know what they are really good at is seeing things go on on the ice that I don't even see when I am there watching the game live. Greg is a master at seeing the whole ice and is generally correct in his statements about calls and non-calls regardless of the tone. I don't watch Paliotta enough to know, but he did have several minors called in that game so attention was drawn to him. They aren't perfect, but they are good guys that know the game, see the game well and I am glad we have them. Trust me on this too, there are FAR, FAR worse than these guys in the D1 / ECAC ranks.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

I, too, have watched or listened to 30 years of SLU Hockey with these guys. The thing I really like about them is that, when listening, they call the game so perfectly that I can visualize where everybody is on the ice and never have to guess which team has possession of the puck. I also like it that they call it as they see it. For example, when our PP stinks it up, neither is afraid to say that it was pathetic. The same is the case on nights the Saints don't play well. Yes, they do get frustrated with some of the calls (who wouldn't?), but aren't afraid to note bad calls missed or made that benefit SLU.

One of the neat things about Greg and Wally is that neither are SLU grads. Greg is a Michigan State grad. and Wally is a UVM grad. They do a GREAT job in my opinion and SLU is lucky to have them. I'm not looking forward to the day when either or both decide to retire from announcing our games.

Thanks, Greg and Wally, for bringing great entertainment to us fans of college hockey for 30+ years. As an aside, I would LOVE to someday hear their calls/comments of/about the GWG's against Minny in '88 and against BU in 2000.
      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
        I, too, have watched or listened to 30 years of SLU Hockey with these guys. The thing I really like about them is that, when listening, they call the game so perfectly that I can visualize where everybody is on the ice and never have to guess which team has possession of the puck. I also like it that they call it as they see it. For example, when our PP stinks it up, neither is afraid to say that it was pathetic. The same is the case on nights the Saints don't play well. Yes, they do get frustrated with some of the calls (who wouldn't?), but aren't afraid to note bad calls missed or made that benefit SLU.

One of the neat things about Greg and Wally is that neither are SLU grads. Greg is a Michigan State grad. and Wally is a UVM grad. They do a GREAT job in my opinion and SLU is lucky to have them. I'm not looking forward to the day when either or both decide to retire from announcing our games.

Thanks, Greg and Wally, for bringing great entertainment to us fans of college hockey for 30+ years. As an aside, I would LOVE to someday hear their calls/comments of/about the GWG's against Minny in '88 and against BU in 2000.
        Ditto and well said. Greg is an exceptional play by play guy extremely well-suited for the radio. His ability to talk and say the things that are happening is freakish. He gets so much in and I agree I can visualize the game. Wally is on the ball too especially when you consider he is the official scorer, tracking stats and doing other duties. Plus, beer comes out my nose from laughing at some of the things Greg says on the video feed while the radio is on commercial break that he forgets we can hear on video. Some day it will probably get him in trouble. Occasionally, he sings too. When I watch the game and am listening to him it's very rare that I don't see it the same way or agree with him. I might not express it the same way, but right now I agree we have seen enough of Kevin Graber and he is not a good official.

I too am glad we have them.

I know exactly what you UVM guys are saying and I just ask you to take it all with a grain of salt. We all have to listen to other announcers when we are on the road and I honestly don't believe ours are any more or any less homers than most of them. In fact, I agree Greg is usually very incisive and tells it like it is even if that isn't great news for SLU. I've heard him get upset at penalties called on other teams that benefit us but were bad calls. Like me, he doesn't want to win that way or see the game ruined by bad officiating either.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          Ditto and well said. Greg is an exceptional play by play guy extremely well-suited for the radio. His ability to talk and say the things that are happening is freakish. He gets so much in and I agree I can visualize the game. Wally is on the ball too especially when you consider he is the official scorer, tracking stats and doing other duties. Plus, beer comes out my nose from laughing at some of the things Greg says on the video feed while the radio is on commercial break that he forgets we can hear on video. Some day it will probably get him in trouble. Occasionally, he sings too. When I watch the game and am listening to him it's very rare that I don't see it the same way or agree with him. I might not express it the same way, but right now I agree we have seen enough of Kevin Graber and he is not a good official.

I too am glad we have them.

I know exactly what you UVM guys are saying and I just ask you to take it all with a grain of salt. We all have to listen to other announcers when we are on the road and I honestly don't believe ours are any more or any less homers than most of them. In fact, I agree Greg is usually very incisive and tells it like it is even if that isn't great news for SLU. I've heard him get upset at penalties called on other teams that benefit us but were bad calls. Like me, he doesn't want to win that way or see the game ruined by bad officiating either.
          Good post. It's not a personal attack (as I have posted before I like watching SLU play and if SLU is not UVM playing them I want them to win, I was around during the late 80's teams you guys had then were fantastic). I have no problem with their ability to call a game. My only issue was the over reaction to both calls on the way to the net. They were calls that happen 80 percent of the time so it wasn't a suprise when they got called.
          You are correct they did mention when SLU got away with a penalty, to me it was more the manner in which they mention each side (over dramatic when UVM got away with it and matter of fact when SLU got away with it). I realize who pays their bills so I don't expect them to be 100 percent neutral... just not greek tragedy level

As far as other schools announcers UVM is ok, Maine was good about being neutral but I don't catch much otherwise as I am on the road alot.

That said I hope you guys get on track and make some progress the 2nd half of the season. You easily could have won 1 of the 2 games. UVM got lucky..
          Last edited by Kdaddy1968; 12-21-2014, 07:09 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Merry Christmas everybody.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimU View Post
              Merry Christmas everybody.
              This. Hope all of you are having a healthy and merry Christmas!

I'm making sure the petrochemicals continue moving down in Louisiana. Another holiday spent working, but that's the nature of the beast, and I'll be spending January in NY with the folks, so just delayed a bit.

Comment

Anyone planning on making the trek to Northeastern for this weekends games? I would imagine the typically strong boston Saints contingent will show up loud and proud!
                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                  Anyone planning on making the trek to Northeastern for this weekends games? I would imagine the typically strong boston Saints contingent will show up loud and proud!
                  I know the Tupper Lake Crew is making the trip. I'm tied up in VT this weekend and will be watching on my CPU.
                  SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                    I'll be in the midst of driving from Florida to the North Country for the next month-6 weeks or so. Hoping to make some other games up there.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      I'll be in the midst of driving from Florida to the North Country for the next month-6 weeks or so. Hoping to make some other games up there.
                      They do have these things called airplanes! ;-) I will be at Northeastern barring the end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                        They do have these things called airplanes! ;-) I will be at Northeastern barring the end of the world.
                        Oh, I know. But I didn't want to spend ~$450-500 to go north, then need a last-minute flight back south once I'm healed from my surgery. I can make the drive for less than 3 tanks of diesel each way, and planning to hopefully stay with friends/family as well, so I save around $600+ driving.

Plus, my car (purchased Sept 2013) only has 4500 miles on it or so, it needs some loving.

Comment

Just a note to Skating Saints fans who won't be at the game tonight in person. Northeastern does provide free video cast of their hockey games. You can watch tonight's and tomorrow's action here: http://www.gonu.com

Let's go Saints! Let's start the new year off with a bang!!!
                          SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                            Just a note to Skating Saints fans who won't be at the game tonight in person. Northeastern does provide free video cast of their hockey games. You can watch tonight's and tomorrow's action here: http://www.gonu.com

Let's go Saints! Let's start the new year off with a bang!!!
                            Something told me to check here first instead of searching their site for the feed ... Saved me some time!

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Good luck this weekend Saints ! Have a great second half except against us.
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Headed to overtime ... That is without question one of the worst periods I have ever seen a St. Lawrence team play ... Dreadful!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X