This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Having watched the Clarkson game and now last night's game in person, here are some thoughts:

Even though the Saints lost by identical scores from last week to this week, they played much better against UVM than Clarkson. UVM is a solid team that will be heading to the NCAAs this year.

On the first goal Saints freshman defensman Mitch Eden, lost his man to the right of Parks and deposited the quick shot into the open net.

On the second UVM goal Parks was a bit slow moving from left to right. Overall Parks got off to a slow start, but improved as the game went on. He still needs to work on his rebounds and lateral movement, but he has made some good progress from last year.

The defesemen and overall team defense was strong. Often in position and removing rebounds out of the way.

Only two PP's for the team. Happy to see the goal on the first and on their second they rang one off the crossbar.

Overall the game could have gone either way. A tie would have been more fitting, but let's see what SLU brings tonight.

While losing three games in a row, all by one goal, is not fun, this team is a joy to watch and does have heart. They are young and learning and are still improving.

I can't be at Appleton tonight, but look forward to watching on SLU's great HD video feed.
    SLU '97

Comment

And here are the video highlights of Friday night's game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8viqm924v6g
      SLU '97

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
        And here are the video highlights of Friday night's game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8viqm924v6g
        Both of my favorite teams should come away with positive attitudes after the two game series. UVM was just a little bit better....this weekend. Experience, speed and maturity being the key components. That being said, the Saints are a very, very good team with considerable upside potential. Both teams are exciting to watch and play the game the way it should be played. Carvy and Sneddon are top notch. The rivalry is fantastic. How about a rematch in the NCAA tournament come Spring? Go Saints.

Comment

The Burlington Free Press on Saturday night's game at Appleton...

"The Saints were again the sharper team throughout much of the game but between Santaguida's solid performance and SLU's season-long inability to capitalize on enough opportunities, Vermont escaped with the win."

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...ears/20382095/
          SLU '97

Comment

Well, the break might be coming at a good time. Get refreshed, escape a bit and come back for the 2nd half grind. The offense has hit a lull, maybe a bit of trying to force things at this point... who knows.

While we probably are feeling disappointed with finishing the 1st half at 8-8-1, I'd guess before the season that most of us expected about a .500 season. Between the youth and not really knowing what we would have, the defensive side of things has been a real positive. Offensively has maybe left a little to be desired, particularly recently, but I really do believe it will come around.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
              The Burlington Free Press on Saturday night's game at Appleton...

"The Saints were again the sharper team throughout much of the game but between Santaguida's solid performance and SLU's season-long inability to capitalize on enough opportunities, Vermont escaped with the win."

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...ears/20382095/

Vermont is a very solid team this year. The benefit being, even when Vermont didn't bring their A game (more like C+game) this weekend, they can still escape with victories. It was a fun series to watch, for sure. Good luck Saints fans! Looks like a well run squad.

Comment

I will join in on this one as well (and with Larriecat SLU is my favorite to watch after UVM). You guys played really well and if you had a few more finishers you would have won one if not both of those games. UVM just appears much calmer than most teams this year like the game is slowed down for them. SLU is a great team to watch. My only issue is listening to your announcers... they are at the far end of the homer spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                  I will join in on this one as well (and with Larriecat SLU is my favorite to watch after UVM). You guys played really well and if you had a few more finishers you would have won one if not both of those games. UVM just appears much calmer than most teams this year like the game is slowed down for them. SLU is a great team to watch. My only issue is listening to your announcers... they are at the far end of the homer spectrum.
                  Forgive them...30 years of watching ECAC officials does funny things to people. Both announcers are awesome guys and the color guy, our SID, is a Vermont graduate.

Very disappointed to not get at least one win out of the weekend. If you can't score, you can't win. Simple as that. I'm glad they played well and they are a good young team. We need this break. It's a good long break, and when they get back they should have some decent alumni support at Northeastern to get the second half rolling.

My Christmas wish is that the Saints seize the opportunity this year. I want to be in LP this year and not be saying the future looks bright (which it does).

Those of you that can please give to the Saints Hockey Society in December. I'll be making a donation.
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

If you could go on a winning streak from here on out and how boost our pwr ranking that be great. It was a nice weekend series, the Saints look to be a tough team. Here's hoping the new year brings you a bit more puck luck and some wins.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                      Forgive them...30 years of watching ECAC officials does funny things to people. Both announcers are awesome guys and the color guy, our SID, is a Vermont graduate.

Very disappointed to not get at least one win out of the weekend. If you can't score, you can't win. Simple as that. I'm glad they played well and they are a good young team. We need this break. It's a good long break, and when they get back they should have some decent alumni support at Northeastern to get the second half rolling.

My Christmas wish is that the Saints seize the opportunity this year. I want to be in LP this year and not be saying the future looks bright (which it does).

Those of you that can please give to the Saints Hockey Society in December. I'll be making a donation.
                      Spot on comments. Sometimes that puck just won't find the back of the net for our guys. Am very happy that we played UVM (my 2nd favorite team, FWIW) and hope this continues. My Christmas wish is that the Saints bury their chances better this year.

The postgame articles/comments seemed to focus on the Saints having gained respect. Those comments are also spot on. The coaches, team, and us fans are on the cusp of something special, and its 'gonna be fun going forward.
                      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                        My only issue is listening to your announcers... they are at the far end of the homer spectrum.
                        Ditto this. OMG, I thought I was gonna be sick. Agree with all the other comments that said you guys played really well. Keep it up and you will definitely win your share of games in the 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          Well, the break might be coming at a good time. Get refreshed, escape a bit and come back for the 2nd half grind. The offense has hit a lull, maybe a bit of trying to force things at this point... who knows.
                          The Clarkson game bothered me. As far as this weekend is concerned: yes, SLU should have scored more goals. But I'm OK with just saying that UVM's goaltending was really good, and they are a better team than we are this year. They're in the top 10 for a reason. SLU has a lot of talent, and is a good team, but we're not there yet. That's fine.

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More
                          Here's where I am more concerned. If they come back from break and play like they did the last time they had a break, it'll be 6 losses in a row. After that, our next five games are against Cornell, Colgate, Dartmouth, Harvard, and Ylae. Our early wins built a lot of positive momentum. If that happens in reverse . . . things could get ugly in a big hurry. That's not what I'm predicting - I think even if nothing else goes right, Hayton will steal a win or two - but SLU is still a young team and I'd like to see them get at least one W against NU.

Comment

You guys have got to be kidding, I heard Greg a number of times say that he though the Saints got away with one ,slash,hook or whatever He's absolutely right when he says that ECAC refs bend over backwards for an out of league opp.they have been doing that for the last 20 years.Ask some of our posters about some of the games out west in years gone past.You wouldn't believe what goes on . Did you notice that he knows the names of all the opp. players not like your announcers that just says a Saint player is coming out with it etc--or a Saint player did this or a Saint player dug the puck out of the corner. If your going to announce the game learn to call the players by name, With the bad lighting on these telcasts you can't see the players numbers most of the time.The worst one this year was the Miami guy,.For a big time program you would think they'd have some one able to call the names out. Talk about a homer---Another good one that I like to listen to is Bob Ahifeld of Clarkson. He calls all the players names on both teams the same as Greg L.does .They want their team to win and why wouldn't they. They usually travel on the team bus and are part of the Teams family.Keep up the good job Greg and Wally, your a pleasure to listen to . Pete
                            brashersaintsfan

Comment

Appreciated your stream last night... your announcers are homers but whatever it's not like I would expect neutrality from a local radio team! They attempted to get UVM names correct but consistently got several wrong (not misidentified a player but made up a name that started with the same letter). Nothing wrong with that by the way just ease up on the defensiveness haha. If I was a Skating Saint fan I'd love them as well!

As far as the game went it was even everywhere except the scoreboard. I thought you guys easily could have won either or both of the games this weekend... just needed some puck luck. It seems you have a young team and I think you will have a good second half of the season/ team next year. Lots of nice passing moves and speed from the whole team. Good luck the rest of the way... I will be rooting for you against most of the ECAC squads for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by slu fan View Post
                                You guys have got to be kidding, I heard Greg a number of times say that he though the Saints got away with one ,slash,hook or whatever He's absolutely right when he says that ECAC refs bend over backwards for an out of league opp.they have been doing that for the last 20 years.Ask some of our posters about some of the games out west in years gone past.You wouldn't believe what goes on . Did you notice that he knows the names of all the opp. players not like your announcers that just says a Saint player is coming out with it etc--or a Saint player did this or a Saint player dug the puck out of the corner. If your going to announce the game learn to call the players by name, With the bad lighting on these telcasts you can't see the players numbers most of the time.The worst one this year was the Miami guy,.For a big time program you would think they'd have some one able to call the names out. Talk about a homer---Another good one that I like to listen to is Bob Ahifeld of Clarkson. He calls all the players names on both teams the same as Greg L.does .They want their team to win and why wouldn't they. They usually travel on the team bus and are part of the Teams family.Keep up the good job Greg and Wally, your a pleasure to listen to . Pete
                                I wasn't referring to whether or not they know the UVM players names. Whoever was announcing said that Paliotta was borderline dirty (which he is notm his calls tend to be tripping/holding not crosscheck/board) for what probably should have been a boarding call on him. Yet one of your guys sends Stenerson head over heals on what is basically a trip and he isn't dirty (just a missed call?). And the two rushes to the net that resulted in penalties. It's fine to disagree with the calls but don't make it sound like the greatest miscarriage of justice in history. Generally speaking when the guy rushing the net has position on the defender and goes down there will be a penalty (even if he plows into the goalie as he wouldnt have gone down had he not been pushed). Yes they might be marginal calls but they get called all the time. That's the homer part to which I was referring. The over dramatic reaction to calls that are made all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X