X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

A few comments about tonight's game and this week:

First, I don't agree we played that well. Several guys had very rough nights. Without pointing them out, I'll highlight the guys I thought played well - Lough, Dahl, Sullivan, Sweetman, Purmal, Martin. I thought a few guys looked like dog ****.
    Second, officiating was awful. Typical ECAC game. Call it too tight in the first two periods with several phantom calls, followed by a third and OT where they swallow the whistle, don't call obvious penalties and even it up when they do. Offsides, Icings and no-calls and bad calls. Graber is an absolute embarrassment. There is no question that is a cause of frustration and contributed to the outcome of the game in my opinion, but we should have been able to produce something on the PP and the PP was awful.
    Losing to Q-suck it, especially in that manner, is annoying. I echo the comments about Peckerwood. We better repay them later in the season when it matters. I think we can because I think several key guys really didn't play well tonight.
    We missed Hughes tonight, but we missed Marnell more. Especially on the PP, we could not stick handle and skate with speed through the neutral zone tonight and the guy who is probably the best on the team at that is Marnell. He can stickhandle in a phone booth and fly, and we could have used both tonight.
    While I agree Q-suck it's first goal should not have counted due to goalie interference and the second one because of a penalty in the corner, Anus undressed the D as he move from the circle in to score. Last year I thought it was totally unjust that Bayreuther had to share the ECAC ROTY with him, but tonight he was the MVP....okay the 2nd star after the zebes.
    I'd like to see the replay of the last 30 seconds because I have NO IDEA how we didn't score.
    Our freshmen were better than theirs. Our sophomores were not.
    That sucked.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Jerry York has won the Penrose once. Go figure.
      Yes, but his alter ego, Elmer Fudd, has won it how many times?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
        A few comments about tonight's game and this week:

First, I don't agree we played that well. Several guys had very rough nights. Without pointing them out, I'll highlight the guys I thought played well - Lough, Dahl, Sullivan, Sweetman, Purmal, Martin. I thought a few guys looked like dog ****.
        Second, officiating was awful. Typical ECAC game. Call it too tight in the first two periods with several phantom calls, followed by a third and OT where they swallow the whistle, don't call obvious penalties and even it up when they do. Offsides, Icings and no-calls and bad calls. Graber is an absolute embarrassment. There is no question that is a cause of frustration and contributed to the outcome of the game in my opinion, but we should have been able to produce something on the PP and the PP was awful.
        Losing to Q-suck it, especially in that manner, is annoying. I echo the comments about Peckerwood. We better repay them later in the season when it matters. I think we can because I think several key guys really didn't play well tonight.
        We missed Hughes tonight, but we missed Marnell more. Especially on the PP, we could not stick handle and skate with speed through the neutral zone tonight and the guy who is probably the best on the team at that is Marnell. He can stickhandle in a phone booth and fly, and we could have used both tonight.
        While I agree Q-suck it's first goal should not have counted due to goalie interference and the second one because of a penalty in the corner, Anus undressed the D as he move from the circle in to score. Last year I thought it was totally unjust that Bayreuther had to share the ECAC ROTY with him, but tonight he was the MVP....okay the 2nd star after the zebes.
        I'd like to see the replay of the last 30 seconds because I have NO IDEA how we didn't score.
        Our freshmen were better than theirs. Our sophomores were not.
        That sucked.
        What sucks even more is the way that Anas scored - it was very similar to the way Ferris St. scored to beat us by the same score in game #3 in OT (the forward who scored the GWG had the puck in our zone and nobody pressured him). What has me really ******ed off is that every single darn team I have rooted for in any sport at any level in my life has sucked in OT or extra innings over those years; my best guess is they have combined to lose at least 75% of them. Just two examples are the '87-'88 Saints (0-3-0 in OT), and SLU's all-time record in NCAA OT games is 1-4-0 and we had lost - before winning one - more NCAA OT games (4) in our history than any other team before beating BU in 4 OT's in 2000. So, much as OT is exciting, I HATE IT. I GUARANTEE that if the NY Giants and Dallas Cowboys game goes into OT tonight - that Dallas wins.

What gives with us getting the same refs. for 4 straight games (if I heard that correctly on our telecast)? If so, the ECAC office needs its head examined - given what happened at the end of the Cornell game. In the UML-Notre Dame game Fri. night, an Irish goal was disallowed after replay because a guy's skate was barely in the blue paint. ND Coach Jeff Jackson, who is usually quite calm, went ballistic. So, Hayton gets mugged on Q-Sucks 1st goal and replay lets it stand. Me thinks we got the short end on that call and would be curious to hear Jeff Jackson's comments on that one.
        Last edited by Muskieman; 11-23-2014, 01:26 AM.
        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Haven't been able to write in for a while due to trouble forgetting/resetting my password. I think it is easier to log in to my bank than this forum lol. Although I did not get to see last night's game I have been very impressed with the Saints thus far. Hayton has been awesome, the team has been productive at each line and competitive in every game. IMO a winning record is an added bonus for a team with so many new faces.

Comment

Originally posted by Harp 34 View Post
            Haven't been able to write in for a while due to trouble forgetting/resetting my password. I think it is easier to log in to my bank than this forum lol. Although I did not get to see last night's game I have been very impressed with the Saints thus far. Hayton has been awesome, the team has been productive at each line and competitive in every game. IMO a winning record is an added bonus for a team with so many new faces.
            I agree with the logging in part on this forum. I had this same problem a couple months ago and I thought I was battling with the supreme court or something, it was ridiculous! Anywho, glad that is resolved now ...

Last night was my first game of the year I was able to make it to and it was nice to see how different this team plays than in previous years. We really seem to always be in position and they work their tails off!!! Last night I noticed we seemed to be overplaying a bit and we missed a couple of wide open players, other than that we played a good game. I also have no idea how that puck did not go in the net in that last minute or so. We were all over them and between Garteig and a couple of lucky bounces it stayed out of the net somehow. Regardless of the outcome, I'm so proud of this team and how far we have came so quickly. It's scary to think how good we will be in a couple of years when the bulk of the team are juniors and seniors. But for now ... Let's just beat Clarkson at home!
            St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
            4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
            2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
            16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
            2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
              What sucks even more is the way that Anas scored - it was very similar to the way Ferris St. scored to beat us by the same score in game #3 in OT (the forward who scored the GWG had the puck in our zone and nobody pressured him). What has me really ******ed off is that every single darn team I have rooted for in any sport at any level in my life has sucked in OT or extra innings over those years; my best guess is they have combined to lose at least 75% of them. Just two examples are the '87-'88 Saints (0-3-0 in OT), and SLU's all-time record in NCAA OT games is 1-4-0 and we had lost - before winning one - more NCAA OT games (4) in our history than any other team before beating BU in 4 OT's in 2000. So, much as OT is exciting, I HATE IT. I GUARANTEE that if the NY Giants and Dallas Cowboys game goes into OT tonight - that Dallas wins.

What gives with us getting the same refs. for 4 straight games (if I heard that correctly on our telecast)? If so, the ECAC office needs its head examined - given what happened at the end of the Cornell game. In the UML-Notre Dame game Fri. night, an Irish goal was disallowed after replay because a guy's skate was barely in the blue paint. ND Coach Jeff Jackson, who is usually quite calm, went ballistic. So, Hayton gets mugged on Q-Sucks 1st goal and replay lets it stand. Me thinks we got the short end on that call and would be curious to hear Jeff Jackson's comments on that one.
              Well, it was a bit of bad luck. Freshmen forward over pursued in their corner and lost an edge giving Anus a lane up the middle with no defense. Even though the refs were pathetic, I am okay with this knowing that a) we didn't play our best game (or at least some guys really did not), we were without Hughes who along with Hudson is our most physical forward, we played without Marnell who I think would have been huge in that game as he can zip and stickhandle and that is what we needed to get into their zone on the PP, and we still should have won. Win against Clarkson and down there and this will be forgotten.

Shout out to the Knights for making sure P-wood didn't leave town with 4 points or notch a milestone win against us. They don't deserve to be in this league.

Comment

It wasn't a freshman that overpursued, it was a Senior and yes unfortunately he blew an edge and fell down circling behind their net. We were still short a player due to that awful call against Woody so when our player fell down we were basically short two players and had no back pressure to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by slufan View Post
                  It wasn't a freshman that overpursued, it was a Senior and yes unfortunately he blew an edge and fell down circling behind their net. We were still short a player due to that awful call against Woody so when our player fell down we were basically short two players and had no back pressure to help out.
                  It was Doherty??? Couldn't see the numbers on the video but I thought it was Lough or Sullivan. Nevertheless, agree on the outcome of that coupled with the fact that Hudson wasn't out of the box in time to play defense. That's yet another reason I don't like Q-Suck. There was that call was a clear dive and make up call, and there was a dive and faked injury when Sullivan was called for boarding. Meanwhile, Doherty gets hauled down on the side of the net during a scoring chance and they call Thompson for slashing. Just one example of a dreadful call. Anus will not have many more opportunities to go end to end so easily.

Comment

Yes it was Doherty. However to be fair I'm not sure he knew we were still on the penalty kill. The box score has the wrong players on the ice for the 1st and 3rd goals. It's just a very difficult loss! We outplayed them in my opinion but didn't bury our chances, Smolcynski had a great chance in the 1st, Ward had a great chance with about 5 minutes remaining and then there was the barrage at the end of the game where we just couldn't find a hole. The officiating played a role in all three of Quinnipiac's goals and for one of the first times this year when we did make a mistake this year Hayton didn't bail us out. I really didn't think we gave them much but credit to Anas as he sure made us pay when we did. If this team has a weakness it's not finding a way to win these types of games. Our record would be outstanding if we had at least tied the 3 games we have lost in overtime. That being said this team can beat anybody and is only going to get better! Very exciting to watch!!

Comment

Originally posted by slufan View Post
                      Yes it was Doherty. However to be fair I'm not sure he knew we were still on the penalty kill. The box score has the wrong players on the ice for the 1st and 3rd goals. It's just a very difficult loss! We outplayed them in my opinion but didn't bury our chances, Smolcynski had a great chance in the 1st, Ward had a great chance with about 5 minutes remaining and then there was the barrage at the end of the game where we just couldn't find a hole. The officiating played a role in all three of Quinnipiac's goals and for one of the first times this year when we did make a mistake this year Hayton didn't bail us out. I really didn't think we gave them much but credit to Anas as he sure made us pay when we did. If this team has a weakness it's not finding a way to win these types of games. Our record would be outstanding if we had at least tied the 3 games we have lost in overtime. That being said this team can beat anybody and is only going to get better! Very exciting to watch!!
                      Completely agree, but it is Anus not Anas (which characterizes that team correctly and acknowledges their best player), and think at the moment our other weakness is the PP. We were something around 0-9 on the weekend and that's not going to be enough. We had the best PP in the nation last year so I know our coaches will solve it, but that also made a difference in the outcome. We are a young team and I'll be patient. We all make the playoffs and I think the list grows shorter of the teams that are going to want to play us then. Until then, this is a great group of guys to watch with fast, quality hockey. Thanks to the coaches for recruiting such exciting hockey players and for coaching systems that are fun to watch or "anti-Brown"!!!

Comment

Agree that the PP has not been effective and needs to get better. Also have faith in the coaches and believe they will find a way to fix it. But you just can't help but be excited about what this team can accomplish. After mid way through the 1st period Quinnipiac really only had two good scoring chances and unfortunately they scored on both of them. However you have to be excited that we were able to virtually shut down such a highly regarded Quinnipiac offense!! We don't have to wait a year or two for this team to be good..they are very good now!!! We've proved we can score goals and create good offensive chances against even very stingy defenses. We've proved that we can virtually shut down almost any offense and when we do make a mistake we've got a goalie that bails us out more times than not. In short who knows what this team may or may not accomplish but I certainly like the possibilities!! Do hope we get better home officiating in the future as they were very bad on Saturday night and played a role on all three of Quinnipiac's goals!

Comment

ECAC officiating has been poor and, as scary as this is, getting worse over the 30 years I have been watching or been a member of the Saints. It is frustrating. That's what happens when you take lawyers and fireman and give them $200 bucks and put the bands on them. I have always been of the opinion that we should hire refs from the OHL and Q. Having watched the CHL for many years, they are SOOO much better than anything we have ever had in the ECAC. Nothing will happen until the member institutions revolt and force a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                            ECAC officiating has been poor and, as scary as this is, getting worse over the 30 years I have been watching or been a member of the Saints. It is frustrating. That's what happens when you take lawyers and fireman and give them $200 bucks and put the bands on them. I have always been of the opinion that we should hire refs from the OHL and Q. Having watched the CHL for many years, they are SOOO much better than anything we have ever had in the ECAC. Nothing will happen until the member institutions revolt and force a change.
                            This reminds me of my days at SUNY Canton, we had a scrimmaged arranged to be played at Appleton. One the kids from the opposing team ended up playing at SLU, Dale Clarke. Anyhow, we had CHL officials for the scrimmage. I remember sitting on the bench and had never seen great officials do a game. They were professional and had absolute control of the game. To this day I recall this fondly and no one argued nor disputed any calls. Maybe its a small sampling size but you're right they are better than any ECAC officials....head and shoulders above.
                            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

I agree that the officiating in the ECAC and Hockey East has deteriorated over the last 30 years. It is way too much about them. Why do they have their name on the backs of their striped sweaters? Who cares who they are? The days of the best officials not being seen or heard are long gone. How about the little ritual, just before the opening face off, where they all "high five" each other? C'mon Man. I don't pay to come watch the officials.

On a much more positive note, my two favorite teams, the Saints and Catamounts, are off to fantastic starts. Way beyond the scribes predictions. Thrilled that the tradition is living on. The home and home series should be a great one. Carvy and Sneddon are two of the classiest guys in the game.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larriecat View Post
                                I agree that the officiating in the ECAC and Hockey East has deteriorated over the last 30 years. It is way too much about them. Why do they have their name on the backs of their striped sweaters? Who cares who they are? The days of the best officials not being seen or heard are long gone. How about the little ritual, just before the opening face off, where they all "high five" each other? C'mon Man. I don't pay to come watch the officials.

On a much more positive note, my two favorite teams, the Saints and Catamounts, are off to fantastic starts. Way beyond the scribes predictions. Thrilled that the tradition is living on. The home and home series should be a great one. Carvy and Sneddon are two of the classiest guys in the game.

Happy Thanksgiving.
                                Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Larriecat! I look forward to meeting up with UVM as well. I used to love the rivalry we had with them throughout the years. It was always fun. I will be at both Gutterson and Appleton for the games this year and hopefully they are two clean, entertaining games
                                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Working...
                                X