This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Just watched the waning minutes and the fracas on the full game archive from Ivy League Network (which has a nice "Slow" feature for Zapruder Reviews). Big Red appeared to be understandably ****ed off down 4-2 @ Lynah with clock winding down. With around :25 left, Purmal lays a hard clean check on Knisely (12) and my guess is that stirred the bear up a bit more. Whistle blows with :04 left - Face off in Saints zone, as C pulls goalie.
    Likely sensing how testy things were, Carvel/Hurlbut try to get a line change but refs (rightly, but unfortunately) disallow so Dogherety/McGovern/Hughes remain on with Martin and Purmal. After draw, Hughes lays a quick jabby crosscheck on their winger's back and then a heavy crosscheck on arm of Buckles who was waiting for puck to come out of the scrum at the dot. Buckles, understandably upset, dumps Hughes to the ice. Hughes gets up and heads towards Hayton and, as time expires, is bumped into from behind by Weidner who appears to have zero intent of malice. Hughes turns and appears to lift his stick up nailing Weidner in cujones. Weidner's teammate sees this and jumps Hughes, and the wrestling starts.
    Bottom line is, if I'm league reviewing, looks like clear intent to injure on Hughes's part. I dont think he used the blade because after he turned to see who bumped him, Hughes was almost toe to toe with Weidner.
    Might not technically be spearing but the time-honored stick-to-groin shot likely deemed just as bad in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
      Don't hate us all Mike. Hope to see ya at the Bank when the Saints come marching in to face Q-suck. That's a new one. Nice ring to it. May the best team win Saturday.
      Nah.......could never hate you and Mark, Luke. The difficulty I think many of us have is not a simple equation. I can say.....that almost universally we all really, really, really dislike your coach. From there, everything else flows outward and builds up on the base of that one MAJOR dislike.
      Are many of us jealous??? Probably so. Your program has advantages many of the other ECAC teams will never have. Many of us feel after watching your program mature and grow that Q was and is a better fit for Hockey East. (That's a debate for another day and I don't want this post to turn into a flame fest or have other Saints fans piling on.) That is not my intent. I really enjoy both you and Mark and we have had some good times over the years watching good college hockey. (I am an occasional visitor to your blog and commend you on your passion.) Over the years I have met a lot of great fans from other teams and I count you and Mark among them.

I do hope the best team wins on Saturday night and i mostly hope for a competitive game. My instincts tell me that is your team at this point.....but, my heart tells me otherwise. It does look like we might be a bit short staffed but we have a lot of players on the roster itching for a chance to get in the line up; so, it will be time for someone else to step it up. My goal this weekend is a split. I think most of us Saint fans would dearly love to put a hurt on Princeton Friday night as they dumped a Saint Legend in Bob Prior as their coach. So....that game is a "we owe you one."
      This season has been a pleasant surprise for us thus far. Most everyone had us picked somewhere between 10-12 so we relish our underdog role. It should be a good weekend. The ECAC as always is full of surprises. The early results are proving the prognosticators very wrong. We'll see how the season develops. I do know this though. This has been a fun team to watch. Full of spunk, hustle and determination. If that continues....we will win our fair share.

PS The one poster I have it in for on your site is the guy who called us "irrelevant."
      SLU

Comment

Anyone have an official update on the injury to Marnell? We could really use him this weekend since we are shorthanded a bit.
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
          PS The one poster I have it in for on your site is the guy who called us "irrelevant."
          Kids!
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
            Anyone have an official update on the injury to Marnell? We could really use him this weekend since we are shorthanded a bit.
            Well, when it happened he was woozy and it looked like a concussion from row 10. I was told he does have a history of concussions but was passing the concussion tests immediately after the game but the fact he hasn't played a minute since Nick Lappin nailed him in the jaw/face suggests otherwise. As with concussions, any guess is a good guess. Ironically, but hopefully not similarly, he is good buddies with Pat LaFontaine's kid and Pat LaFontaine's kid took a visit to SLU but ended up closer to home, but you always worry about Marnell's injury causing the same fate as Patty L's. Head injuries blow!!!!
            9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
            1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
              The world would be a better place if Big Al ate Hokydad and then found out that Hokydad was poison. For me it's not Big Al, it's Big Al's mentality which is pervasive not only with many Q-suck fans, but with Q-suck's coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports
                I don't want this post to turn into a flame fest or have other Saints fans piling on.)
                . But Isn't that why we're all here?
                St. Lawrence University
                World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Anyone have any idea what is going on at the ECAC with the post Cornell fracas . Aren't suspensions mandated? Don't they usually announce them by Monday or Tuesday?
                  St. Lawrence University
                  World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                    Anyone have any idea what is going on at the ECAC with the post Cornell fracas . Aren't suspensions mandated? Don't they usually announce them by Monday or Tuesday?
                    I saw on the USCHO ECAC blog that no additional suspensions were going to be issued - kind of surprising based on what I read on here.
                    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                    Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                      From the blog:

Saints, Big Red rack up the penalty minutes

There’s was plenty of action after the final horn of Saturday’s Cornell-St. Lawrence game, a 4-2 win for the Saints. The teams combined for 205 penalty minutes in the game, with 177 as a result of a post-whistle melee.

St. Lawrence captain Gunnar Hughes was given a pair of disqualification penalties for fighting and spearing, while senior Chris Martin was given a disqualification for fighting. Sean McGovern, Eric Sweetman and Tommy Thompson each received misconducts.

For Cornell, Matt Buckles and Holden Anderson were given a misconduct and disqualification penalties, while Jake Weidner, Jeff Kubiak and Cole Bardreau each got a misconduct.

Per NCAA rules, Martin, Buckles and Anderson will sit out Friday’s games, while Hughes will miss the next three games. The ECAC will not issue any additional penalties, according to a league spokesman.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2014/11/19/play...#ixzz3JXuguZjE

Comment

PS That really stinks for Gunnar missing the last career game against Clarkson at Appleton. Do the crime, you have to do the time as much as that blows. He has been playing really well this season and from what I have seen has been an exceptional captain.

The flip side of that is I am still angry that Bollig didn't cut that kid from Brown in half in his last game at the consolation in Albany. If he knew he was leaving he should have opened a can of whoop *** up on that kid that was taking liberties in front of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                          PS That really stinks for Gunnar missing the last career game against Clarkson at Appleton. Do the crime, you have to do the time as much as that blows. He has been playing really well this season and from what I have seen has been an exceptional captain.

The flip side of that is I am still angry that Bollig didn't cut that kid from Brown in half in his last game at the consolation in Albany. If he knew he was leaving he should have opened a can of whoop *** up on that kid that was taking liberties in front of the net.
                          That really is unfortunate for Gunner as well as the team as we could really use him during this home stand, but as you said "Do the crime, do the time". I am hopeful this doesn't hurt us over the course of the next three games. I really badly want to beat Clarkson at home and it's been a few years since that has happened. I feel like we are back to the mid-nineties when Clarkson thumped on us all the time. It would be nice to switch that around again. I don't like losing to them, especially at home!

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                            That really is unfortunate for Gunner as well as the team as we could really use him during this home stand, but as you said "Do the crime, do the time". I am hopeful this doesn't hurt us over the course of the next three games. I really badly want to beat Clarkson at home and it's been a few years since that has happened. I feel like we are back to the mid-nineties when Clarkson thumped on us all the time. It would be nice to switch that around again. I don't like losing to them, especially at home!
                            And I'm sure they'll be a stirred up hornet's nest after the spanking they got in cheel.

I guess, fortunate it's only 3, and not more. This kind of goes along with the Connor McDavid thing where top line players usually get hacked, slashed, and generally beat up through games/season, and sometimes enough is enough. Not saying that was the case here, just generally wondering out loud.

I'm finally headed back home, but I'll be back in the NC for most of January, and maybe even the start of February, to get my tailbone area/Pilonidal sinuses scraped out. Not sure I'm real thrilled about spending the coldest part of the year in NNY, but oh well.

Comment

Let me just say again for the record, Princeton can't lose enough and as for tomorrow they also can't lose by enough!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                                And I'm sure they'll be a stirred up hornet's nest after the spanking they got in cheel.
                                I am sure Clarkson will be fired up and ready to go for their big rival, they always are. Sometimes I've always noticed over the years that Clarkson when they lose to us we all cringe and think "ohhh no they are coming for us big time the next game!" then sure enough they spank us the following game. Sometimes I wonder where this mindset came from and why we need to think that way. Why isn't the other way around? How come when Clarkson beats us it isn't "they are going to come for us hard the next game!". Just something I've noticed and always wondered. I hope we beat them 4-0 (or better) again this time at home and there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be able to do it either

Comment

Working...
                                X