This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

You guys may already be aware of this, but college hockey Inc. actually has a really good page for tracking commitments. you can even drill into each player to see their stats. http://www.collegecommitments.com/De...cq9=2087658336

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      There have been a lot of Lappins over the years. They're the Sutters of the ECAC.

Anybody care to give a quick preview of what to expect from SLU this weekend? One of the nice (?) things about The System is you already know what you're going to see from Cornell if you've been watching them the last decade: very big (bordering on huge now), not particularly fast (though truth be told faster that prior years), tremendous stifling D, virtually no offensive pressure, strong goaltending, no quick strike ability whatsoever, great kill, anemic powerplay. The only discernable difference is that whereas in past years your best bet was to beat them 2-1, this season that appears to be 1-0.
      In short, other than a quick and capable goaltender, SLU is the exact opposite of the description you gave of the Red. They are extremely quick and have a few guys that absolutely fly. They can strike quick and often. They are competent on the kill. The PP has suffered without Gluchowski, but he could be back. I suspect this game will turn on who gets to play there game and, thus, how the game is called. I can't see SLU being great if a team is able to physically manhandle them, clutch and grab. I pray Marnell is back. He is very quick and a good stick-handler. I see SLU being competitive every night. They are tenacious and work hard. Lynah and Starr are tough places to play (for different reasons). Gate's loss of Borkowski is a big one.

On the Brown thread they were talking about it being uncool that their 2nd and 3rd games were against team playing the 9th and 10th, but the flip side of that is SLU / Clarkson is the only pair that has their first four league games on the road and all but 3 of their first 12 games.

If I was going, Schafer's beer would be on me.
      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Tough games this weekend as we travel to Colgate and Cornell for the always difficult Central New York tilt. I think a split would be great and will be VERY happy with anything more. Play hard, tough defense, strong goaltending and take advantage of your chances when you get them ... Let's do this guys!!!
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          If I was going, Schafer's beer would be on me.
          So, Got 6, I want to be sure I have this right. In your eyes, Shaffer will always win out over Pecknold? That's how I'd come down on it -- but I've seen you go after each of them separately in this space.
          St. Lawrence University
          World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

It's 1-0 Colgate 1:12 into the 1st period ... I can tell already that it is going to be a VERY long night!
            St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
            4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
            2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
            16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
            2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

free video feed for tonight: http://www.campusinsiders.com/networ...mber-4-colgate

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                So, Got 6, I want to be sure I have this right. In your eyes, Shaffer will always win out over Pecknold? That's how I'd come down on it -- but I've seen you go after each of them separately in this space.
                If I have permission to weigh in...........
                Not even a close contest. Pecknold takes the cake as the least liked, least favorite, most hated coach in ECAC Hockey. He is so far ahead, there isn't even a close second. IMO he is in a class(less) sic, by himself.

I am positive Got6 will agree.

Just got done watching the last period only of the game tonight. Not the same team I saw last weekend. Either Colgate was that good....or, we looked flat and that was certainly the most human Hayton and the D looked so far this season.

I was driving down to Philly to visit with my son. I was at the GW Bridge at 4:30. Literally on the bridge in moving traffic. Two hours and 20 minutes later I hadn't even reached Newark Airport. I have two suggestions for New Jersey. First suggestion is to try weeding out about half the population and moving them to say...Nevada. If that doesn't help the traffic, then move everyone out and drop a bomb on the place and let's just be able to skip the whole state while travelling.
                SLU

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports View Post
                  Not even a close contest. Pecknold takes the cake as the least liked, least favorite, most hated coach in ECAC Hockey. He is so far ahead, there isn't even a close second. IMO he is in a class(less) sic, by himself.

Just got done watching the last period only of the game tonight. Not the same team I saw last weekend. Either Colgate was that good....or, we looked flat and that was certainly the most human Hayton and the D looked so far this season.

I was driving down to Philly to visit with my son. I was at the GW Bridge at 4:30. Literally on the bridge in moving traffic. Two hours and 20 minutes later I hadn't even reached Newark Airport. I have two suggestions for New Jersey. First suggestion is to try weeding out about half the population and moving them to say...Nevada. If that doesn't help the traffic, then move everyone out and drop a bomb on the place and let's just be able to skip the whole state while travelling.
                  Ugh. I feel your pain there, that's a miserable stretch of highway, er parking lot. I'm all for dropping a nuke on Jersey, not much of value tleer anyways

I caught the 2nd and 3rd on the free feed. While we didn't play our best by far, I think we can all agree that Colgate may be the class of the league this year, certainly in the discussion.

Hayton did make a few top notch saves, but didn't get much help on goals 3 and 4. Their 5th was a bad luck play on a chopped puck that landed on the blue line and they walked in alone on the PP.

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                    Yeah, Critsports got it right. Peckernold by a mile and Q-Suck by a mile. I'm not sure when I have gone after Schafer. I rather respect him going after the refs which, especially at that time, really needed someone influential to state how bad the officiating is. I also rather respect him for making it clear and plain how pretty much everyone feels about Peckerwood (at least privately). He is reviled and despised. I know the reasons why and I have my own reasons. I don't even thing Schafer is in my top 4. I'd have to put Allain, Appert and probably Donato above Schafer on my ****list. I generally like Schafer and think he is a good coach. He and Gaudet can be jerks on the bench, but are great guys otherwise. Donato was much more fun as a player than a coach. He doesn't look like he is having fun. I don't know Whittet well enough to say about him other than the fact his team is still incredibly boring to watch. I don't blame Fogarty, but Princeton can't lose enough. Good job tonight RPI.

As for the game tonight...I didn't see it but we had 9 minors for 18 minutes. You can't have a guy in the box for 18 minutes against Colgate and expect success. Not sure if they were deserved, and noticed two were matching, but still, 4-4 is tiring. When you score a shorty to tie it, you'd think the momentum is on your side, but them we folded. Be interested to hear what the coaches have to say or anyone at the game. Crappy result, but two goals were late so it was essentially a 3-2 game? We need a lot fewer penalties.

Comment

I see Cornell had a DQ with 30 seconds left (their 4th line center) and then won on a shorty in OT. That's a tough way to win. Need a split this weekend, but winning in Lynah is about the toughest feat in the league.

Hope the boys step it up tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post

With family in Philly, have made that trip more than my GAA over the years, and that's a lot. Johnstown-Gloversville isn't the mecca of society by any stretch, but at least traffic moves up here in the sticks. As for the game tonight, it was great to hear the Colgate Video Announcer, after our 2nd goal, saying that about 100 St. Lawrence fans were chanting "SLU, SLU, SLU" at the top of their lungs. Well, 4 of them were Al, Don, Eric, and Pat and you guys came thru load and clear. Reminded me of the game at Lynah in '11 where, amongst others, a bunch of us had the Cornell band chanting, "Sit Down, Sit Down, Sit Down" during most of the game and we heard from Sara that it was so-noted on the SLU Audio Broadcast.

As for the game, Colgate was very good and so were we. Fun game to watch despite the outcome - it's night and day how much better, and UNSELFISH, this year's TEAM is over last year's (who, IMO, had a few INDIVIDUALS who worried too much about their stats., and had no clue/desire about/to back-check). Despite 5 goals allowed, Hayton made several stops that had me look up to the ceiling in amazement.

Not able to get to any games yet. I chose to smoke heavily for 40 years before quitting cold-turkey on July 15th; now 122 smoke-free days and counting. However, my breathing is very labored still so travel's not smart now --- I have nobody to blame but myself and thank all of you who jumped all over me for years to quit (and, I finally, listened). No "pity-party" intended here; this is posted here as hope that disclosing my self-imposed and totally avoidable situation prevents one or more individuals from ever smoking. DON"T DO IT!!

On to Lynah we go.
                        Last edited by Muskieman; 11-14-2014, 09:44 PM.
                        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                          Yeah, Critsports got it right. Peckernold by a mile and Q-Suck by a mile. I'm not sure when I have gone after Schafer. I rather respect him going after the refs which, especially at that time, really needed someone influential to state how bad the officiating is. I also rather respect him for making it clear and plain how pretty much everyone feels about Peckerwood (at least privately). He is reviled and despised. I know the reasons why and I have my own reasons. I don't even thing Schafer is in my top 4. I'd have to put Allain, Appert and probably Donato above Schafer on my ****list. I generally like Schafer and think he is a good coach. He and Gaudet can be jerks on the bench, but are great guys otherwise. Donato was much more fun as a player than a coach. He doesn't look like he is having fun. I don't know Whittet well enough to say about him other than the fact his team is still incredibly boring to watch. I don't blame Fogarty, but Princeton can't lose enough. Good job tonight RPI.

As for the game tonight...I didn't see it but we had 9 minors for 18 minutes. You can't have a guy in the box for 18 minutes against Colgate and expect success. Not sure if they were deserved, and noticed two were matching, but still, 4-4 is tiring. When you score a shorty to tie it, you'd think the momentum is on your side, but them we folded. Be interested to hear what the coaches have to say or anyone at the game. Crappy result, but two goals were late so it was essentially a 3-2 game? We need a lot fewer penalties.
                          As for my feelings about Pecknold, a "NO COMMENT" is most appropriate. "Nuff said!
                          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Last night's game was not indicative of the score. Could of been a one goal game either way, I was impressed by SLU, very fast.

Keep up the good work, Muskie, very happy for you. The game in Canton will be something else. Good Luck tonight, beat the pylons !
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              Last night's game was not indicative of the score. Could of been a one goal game either way, I was impressed by SLU, very fast.

Keep up the good work, Muskie, very happy for you. The game in Canton will be something else. Good Luck tonight, beat the pylons !
                              Thanks for the in person observations. Unfortunately, one of our fastest forwards hasn't played since Nick Lappin nailed him in the head against Brown. I assume he still has some cobwebs. There were some pretty bad defensive lapses on the Colgate goals which reminds us that we are very young on Defense with 3 D (at least) and a goalie in the freshmen class, and usually 2-3 sophomores.

I hope we can get the split with Colgate in 2015. Good luck to 'gate until then.

Comment

I thought we were a step behind the first period and outplayed them the next 20 minutes. That disallowed goal at the end of the second really turned the momentum back to the Gate, and we never recovered. Tough task tonight, but they will come out hungry.

Comment

Working...
                                X