This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Yeah that was a nice win tonight in a not so friendly place to play. I wasn't too sure how they'd respond in the third, but once again they showed up the bloggers and pollsters and gave us reason to feel really good about this season. Great battle, can't wait to finally see this team in person tomorrow night in New Haven.

Comment

Nice win on the road. I love the balance/depth of this team (20 different players have now scored at least one goal in nine games) and its work ethic. Great response in the third period after Brown rallied to tie things up after 2. Let me ask an honest question: Did any of us expect to be 5-3-1 at this point, given that just 3 of those 9 games were at home and who we've played? So far, so good.

I hope that Mike Marnell is OK, after an illegal and high hit from none other than one Nick Lappin (who got a 5 and a game misconduct). It was great to have Matt Purmal back; let's hope that Nolan Gluchowski is also able to return to the lineup soon.

On to Yale.
      Last edited by Muskieman; 11-07-2014, 10:42 PM.
      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Get the Puck Outta Here View Post
        Great game by the Saints! Hayton looked good and the pressure and forechecking looked tough as well. Nice to see McGovern bury a couple as well as Sullivan and Lough tally a couple points. Nice Friday night and way to start the weekend. If this is mediocrity, I will take it every weekend. Tough task at hand tomorrow night vs Yale, but this team brings it every night. Sullivan must have missed the stats that when we beat Niagara, we were both tied for the final spot in the polls. Then when we split with Ferris St not only did our loss come in OT, but they were ranked 4th Nationally and we came up big the next night and beat them. Then we turn around and beat the #10 team in the nation (Miami of OH) and lose the next night to them in OT. Last weekend we face our top rival and tie them at home and pound them 4-0 in their own barn. All this by the pre-season 11th seed from the ECAC. Gotta love mediocre hockey Go Saints Go, beat Yale!
        Now I know why I picked you guys third in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
          Speed, athletic ability, and mental toughness is much more important than weight. Look at all the big lugs in college hockey that are highly touted and look how many of them are actually any good.
          Weighing in at a whopping 168 lbs Ryan Miller proves just because your light doesn't mean you can't be a superstar.
          I play goalie in my beer league and at 6'3" and weighing in at 235lbs doesn't make me strong,quick or any good, just the opposite actually !!!!
          First. Hayton weighs 120. Don't let anyone tell you different. Second, I'd defy you to go through the roster of starting NHL goalies. I haven't done it, but I'd posit that they are almost all 6' 190+. I mean it's great if Hayton gets the attention but NHL scouts, given the choice, almost always go big. And at 5'5" and 120 lbs, why should they look at Hayton in the next 3 years.
          St. Lawrence University
          World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

There's a nice little thread about "mediocrity" going on over on Twitter where we are "educating" the USCHO reporter - who definitely missed something. Check @briansullivan or #SLUHOCKEY
            St. Lawrence University
            World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
              There's a nice little thread about "mediocrity" going on over on Twitter where we are "educating" the USCHO reporter - who definitely missed something. Check @briansullivan or #SLUHOCKEY
              Maybe they are the announcers from the Brown broadcast who clearly don't have a clue. This was evident by mentioning that the Lappin family that played hockey years ago were players at RPI and not St. Lawrence

Btw, I'm kidding here. I know who this is that posted this (as clueless as he typically is)
              Last edited by Saints#1; 11-08-2014, 02:37 PM.
              St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
              4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
              2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
              16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
              2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                That's fine but please understand that size has everything to do with that you described. If a player doesn't have the weight, they won't have the energy to do as you posted.

With all due respect, I'll just choose to have a different opinion than you. Having played goalie for 20 years, I think I understand the position pretty well. Big DOESN'T make you better, it usually makes you slow.
                Ryan Miller consistently proves you don't have to be a 200lbs + to play at a world class level.
                In the case of SLU, if your theory is correct, why hasn't Parks played all the games in net ? If you go along with your chain of thought, Parks at 6'6" and 215lbs would dominate over Hayton at 6'0" and 160lbs. That doesn't appear to be happening.

Comment

W/ the end of period one in New Haven all I can say is that I am gobsmacked!

I must restrain my enthusiasm for this "mediocre" team allegedly in rebuilding mode

From the depths of depression after a subpar performance against Mechanics Inst to a blowout at Niagara
                  followed by victories against ranked teams. Then pummeling CCT, victorious last night at a venue that always
                  gives us trouble and up 3 goals early on tonight.

We may yet hit a rough patch but all signs point to a most exciting well balanced team featuring an amazing goalie

I may yet recover from the loss to Lake State

Go Larries!
                  SLU65

Comment

Mediocrity rocks!
                    Congrats boys. Great weekend.

Comment

Oh how sweep it is!

Wish I could have been down there, but had some medical issues flare up, so I'm still in NNY. On the mend now.

Comment

Well well, our "mediocre" Saints actually swept a weekend. Not too bad for a team that consists of 9 freshman and 8 sophomores. We spanked and shutout, yes shutout, the #27 Yale Bulldogs in their own Barn. Great weekend boys! Nice to see McGovern bury another goal. Hayton is playing out of his mind, fun to watch. As for Sullivan, I hear Dear Abby is looking for a new columnist

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
                          W/ the end of period one in New Haven all I can say is that I am gobsmacked!

I must restrain my enthusiasm for this "mediocre" team allegedly in rebuilding mode

From the depths of depression after a subpar performance against Mechanics Inst to a blowout at Niagara
                          followed by victories against ranked teams. Then pummeling CCT, victorious last night at a venue that always
                          gives us trouble and up 3 goals early on tonight.

We may yet hit a rough patch but all signs point to a most exciting well balanced team featuring an amazing goalie

I may yet recover from the loss to Lake State

Go Larries!
                          I will NEVER recover from the loss to Lake State. I have saved the VCR Tape from that game with the vow that I'll burn it when/if SLU wins the NCAA's. I plan on getting arrested then for illegal burning. This year's TEAM, and I mean TEAM, has - however - aided with my recovery.

As for the discussions about Hayton, I'm just going to enjoy him while he's with us. I'll get way too stressed out if I start worrying now about how long he stays and when he goes pro.

Great start to a tough 5-game road trip. On to Colgate and Cornell.

P.S. I picked us 7th in the ECAC Standings. I hope the Saints continue to prove how stupid I am.
                          Last edited by Muskieman; 11-08-2014, 08:27 PM.
                          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Isn't this a hoot! A bunch of unsung kids just out playing team hockey, having fun, and winning! It doesn't get any better than that. 19 players have scored. Hayton's faced 300+ shots and has a GA of just over 2. The vaunted hockey columnists either can't explain it or are ignoring it and that's fine by me. It leaves the team to just play their own game instead of trying to mimic their own press. What a great group of kids!
                            Last edited by saintsdad; 11-08-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Nice start for you guys.. can't wait to for the UVM series. that should be some good hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                                Matt who?
                                From the 1st post in this thread. Good question and very prophetic

Comment

Working...
                                X