This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Your last warning. Less than 14 hours to get your picks in. You have until 7PM tonight.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...14-2015-Season
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

12.5 hours or so until I'm back at the sacred ground we know as Appleton. But first, it's 3 flights to the North Country.

Mike, rep or email me your number, I lost it somewhere along the way. I assume you will be at the Yale game next weekend and maybe Providence?

Comment

Well, considering I was preparing for my annual "I am so sick of losing to Clarkson at home post", I will take a tie! Hoping for a win tomorrow night at Cheel, but we have to finish our chances or else we have no chance!
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
          Well, considering I was preparing for my annual "I am so sick of losing to Clarkson at home post", I will take a tie! Hoping for a win tomorrow night at Cheel, but we have to finish our chances or else we have no chance!
          That was a pretty dang entertaining hockey game. A well earned tie for both sides, and probably a fair result.

When was the last time in the ECAC that zero penalties were called? Sure, there were probably 2-3 that should have been, but the stripes let them play and were pretty consistent in doing so, IMO.

Was really impressed by Horn and Hayton. The Sullivan, Lough and Marnell(?) Line also looked good at times.

Defensively there were some hesitent stretches but I think that's mostly a youth factor. Did notice several great backchecking efforts by forwards, a very pleasant sight after last year.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post

When was the last time in the ECAC that zero penalties were called? Sure, there were probably 2-3 that should have been, but the stripes let them play and were pretty consistent in doing so, IMO.

Prior to toknight, the last CCT-SLU game where no penalties were called was in the 1963 ECAC Consolation game.

A really great effort by both teams and a very enjoyable game to watch.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Saints 4-0 over Clarkson!
              Didn't expect that!

Comment

Originally posted by freego View Post
                Saints 4-0 over Clarkson!
                Didn't expect that!
                Awesome........looks like we went back to the let them outshoot us but we win formula!!!!
                SLU

Comment

First win at Cheel since 2009 and our first win over Clarkson since 2011 ... Boy does this one ever feel good! Congrats boys, you played hard, you outworked them, you earned this one tonight ... You were TECHnically just the better team!
                  St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                  4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                  2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                  16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                  9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                  2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Congratulations! You earned it.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A great team win in Cheel, of all places. I really liked our 3rd period, where every single player kept things simple and saw to it that CCT had to go the length of the ice if they wanted to score (which they didn't). I'd like to see the SLU fans start a " KYLE HAYTON," "KYLE HAYTON", etc. chant at home games. Heck, I'll try to start one when I get to Appleton. It's still a small sample size, but he's the best SLU goalie I've ever seen, in 44+ yrs. of rooting and that includes 'Gusto. I really like Kyle's aggressiveness, calm demeanor, and man, is he ever quick. Stats. show that we've been outshot an average of 13/game (104 shots over 8 eight games), but Hayton is so good he can keep us in any game. I have a great feeling that the days of CCT walking all over us (see the all-time series record, and 1,699 days between SLU wins vs. Clarkson) are OVER. I'm in my glory right now and extremely optimistic about what lies ahead for THE SAINTS!

On to Brown and Yale.
                      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Congrats SLU, any happy posters around ? You guys deserve it.
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Don't get me wrong..great weekend for the Saints...I'll take a tie and a win against TECH any weekend! I do wonder a bit about playing TECH 4X a season? Seems a lot to me...maybe I'm a purist but I loved when we only played them 2X-3X a year in just ECAC games, it seemed like those games meant a lot more.

As much as I like the results this weekend and am fired up by the play of our new guys...I will be more fired up if we can have the same result against TECH in more meaningful ECAC League games!

Comment

Originally posted by SLU2000 View Post
                            I will be more fired up if we can have the same result against TECH in more meaningful ECAC League games!
                            I agree, and history isn't on our side. On the other hand, they can only play the games as they come and try to win every one. No matter what happens in the conference games, these are two good results.

Comment

From what I can guess, playing your arch rival 4 times essentially guarantees 4 sell-outs for the schools. Little to no costs associated with travel, from a business stand point it makes sense.
                              LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                                From what I can guess, playing your arch rival 4 times essentially guarantees 4 sell-outs for the schools. Little to no costs associated with travel, from a business stand point it makes sense.
                                Bingo. Plus, in my era we won more than 50% and the Clarkson games (along with Harvard, RPI and Vermont) were always the most memorable. Cornell too actually. They are great recruiting tools because what kid doesn't want to see a game with a high energy rivalry? They sell tickets, they are fun for the players, everyone gets to sleep in their own beds, and it's a North Country affair (which sucks for those of us that don't live in the NC).

As long as I live, I'll never forget losing to them 10-1 in December 1985 where we without all four of our top defensemen and Derek Ray and Scott Nickerson went toe to toe at center ice, or playing them a month later and beating them at Appleton in OT 6-5 after Hurley took a retaliation penalty and Don Vaughan was screaming some inappropriate things from the press box over where the President used to sit. I'll never forget beating them 8-4 in 1988 with 5 guys suspended from a fight at Dartmouth and Buckeridge making a move that even they applauded. Or beating them 3-0 in the 1988 ECAC Championship game where shooter had a perfect one-timer on the PP from the top of the circle. Or Mike McKenzie putting on a one man show in period 3 of game 3 at Appleton 3-4 years ago to come from behind and win. Clarkson even eventually got a lame D-1 rink (Cheel) to replace the Canton Pavilion North (Walker). Other than shutting out Cornell at Lynah, the 9-8 game where Lappin and Neweindyk went back and forth, and beating them like a drum 6-1 in the 1989 Semi's and beating them 6-3 after trailing 3-0 at Appleton after 2, I'd say those are the games I remember the best. Now, we add to that with a nice shutout in their building. I'll take it, league game or not.

The only thing about Hayton who I knew last year when I watched him in the USHL was going to be really good for us is, if he keeps playing this way, he may be gone too quickly. Kyle, if you are reading this, see Derek Gustafson....stud goalie, now pumping gas someone where in OR and probably growing fatter. Stay at SLU. You'll never regret playing with a team like this that has the potential in a couple of years on the national stage.
                                9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                                1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X