• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    Great win saints !!!!!
    Best ECAC win this weekend !!!!
    You have one HELL OF A GOALIE !!!!!
    I agree! One hell of an effort tonight by the guys, so proud of them!! They could have easily been down on themselves after the tough defeat last night, but this team plays with a lot of intensity and effort and they earned this one tonight!!! Ohhh and our freshmen goalie? ... He's the real deal
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Real gritty job tonight. Forecheck was on all game, and good to see fewer turnovers. Hayton is so stingy with the puck. He's got a great future ahead of him. Congrats to the boys for a great weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
        I agree! One hell of an effort tonight by the guys, so proud of them!! They could have easily been down on themselves after the tough defeat last night, but this team plays with a lot of intensity and effort and they earned this one tonight!!! Ohhh and our freshmen goalie? ... He's the real deal
        Congrats to Hayton on his first career shutout. It was a solid team effort tonight. That is my comment, there already seems to be better chemistry on the ice than last year. I saw better support, better team defense than we saw many nights last year, and some opportunistic scoring. It's been a while since we have had a stud goalie. We've had some good ones but Gusty was the last guy that was a bag of money back there (well, Ackley and McKenna were pretty good too). It's good to see him have some success.

It's important to not get too high or too low, but congrats to the team on a hard-working win tonight.

Horn can play next weekend! Wishing Gluchowski and Purmal quick recoveries.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          Congrats to Hayton on his first career shutout. It was a solid team effort tonight. That is my comment, there already seems to be better chemistry on the ice than last year. I saw better support, better team defense than we saw many nights last year, and some opportunistic scoring. It's been a while since we have had a stud goalie. We've had some good ones but Gusty was the last guy that was a bag of money back there (well, Ackley and McKenna were pretty good too). It's good to see him have some success.

It's important to not get too high or too low, but congrats to the team on a hard-working win tonight.

Horn can play next weekend! Wishing Gluchowski and Purmal quick recoveries.
          Echo your comments and those made by others. Have watched, via computer, all-but-two periods this season and here's my assessment/thoughts: 1) Hayton is a stud, always square to the puck, and has great rebound control so far - Remember, he was an All-Star in the USHL last year; 2) This team really hustles and goes to the net with a vengeance.........good formula for being very good; 3) Unlike last season, everybody is back-checking like there's no tomorrow; and 4) PK is fantastic so far - see stuff already noted.

Well, I picked us 7th in the ECAC Pick the Standings Thread a few weeks ago while thinking said pick was a bit high to be honest. It will be interesting to see how we stack up against teams like Cornell (and now Clarkson) who focus on team defense, winning draws, and slowing/wearing teams down. IT'S REAL EARLY, but I might have under-estimated several things: 1) That every single returning player would be improved over last year; 2) The return of Tommy Thompson would be a big plus; 3) The overall talent level of the freshmen class (and Christian Horn hasn't played yet thanks to Don Lucia - I blame Union for that, but is eligible this weekend); and 4) Our overall team speed.

FWIW, I turn the big-62 on Tuesday. The team gave me an early birthday present with their gritty effort against a very talented FSU squad. GO SAINTS.
          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Just checked to see how our next opponent, Miami of Ohio, did tonight. They beat Ohio State 2-1 and outshot them SIXTY-TWO to 20, per both USCHO and Miami's website recap. And, the Red Hawks only had 1 man advantage. We will have our hands full out there - they were ranked #11 before sweeping OSU in a home-and-home series this weekend, and are now 3-1-0.

Their somewhat new rink - built in 2006 - is named after a SLU graduate, Steve Cady (I think SLU '75). He was a long-time Head Coach at Miami and I believe was later their AD.
            GO SAINTS.

Comment

Glad to see the Saints playing well so early in the season. This team will only get better as the season progresses.
              SLU '97

Comment

Now that there is a little more activity around these parts, are any of you planning on being at the SLU/Clarkson home and home at the end of the month, or the following weekend at Yale/Brown?

Hope to see some familiar faces at either location, I'll be at both series.

Comment

http://alongtheboards.com/2014/10/ec...ason-surprise/
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Got a committment from '98 Forward Kaden Pickering (Madrid, NY), out of Northwood. Reports say he looked very good at the Select-16 camp this summer, where another North Country kid, Jordan Robert, looked very good as well and has committed to Clarkson. There's a couple more local kids staying local, great to see.
                    Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 10-21-2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      Got a committment from '98 Forward Kaden Pickering (Madrid, NY), out of Northwood. Reports say he looked very good at the Select-16 camp this summer, where another North Country kid, Jordan Robert, looked very good as well and has committed to Clarkson. There's a couple more local kids staying local, great to see.
                      It looks like Pickering would be enrolling in the fall of 2017.
                      SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                        It looks like Pickering would be enrolling in the fall of 2017.
                        I wrote up the Pickering commitment as well as Henry Bowlby, who committed last month, today: http://overtheboards.net/st-lawrence...den-pickering/

I haven't caught Pickering but hear good things. Northwood has a strong influx of talent recruited to Lake Placid this year. Bowlby is one of the biggest 'late-bloomers' in Minnesota, coming out of powerhouse Edina, and he's really come on strong the last nine months..

Comment

Originally posted by jkozak View Post
                          I wrote up the Pickering commitment as well as Henry Bowlby, who committed last month, today: http://overtheboards.net/st-lawrence...den-pickering/

I haven't caught Pickering but hear good things. Northwood has a strong influx of talent recruited to Lake Placid this year. Bowlby is one of the biggest 'late-bloomers' in Minnesota, coming out of powerhouse Edina, and he's really come on strong the last nine months..
                          This is a must read article on SLU recruit Henry Bowlby as well as other Saint recruits. The future is looking very bright for Skating Saint hockey!
                          SLU '97

Comment

Not sure if any of you guys saw it, but Flanagan was the target of a brutal and high hit over in the SEL the other day. Hope he recovers quickly and gets back to playing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...swedish-league

Comment

And I thought this was going to be a relaxing rebuilding year....... 5-2 at Miami after two. We can do this.
                              St. Lawrence University
                              World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

GREAT WIN ST. LAWRENCE !!!!!
                                Please ...... one more ..... I had you sweeping !!!!
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X