Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    So who will be the new beat writer for USCHO covering the WCHA?. I nominate paula weston, but I doubt she would do it.
    We lose Matt Wellens, who'll end up covering UMD professionally, but we still have Shane Frederick from the Mankato Free Press. I just asked Freddy on Twitter

Originally posted by golfhawkins View Post
    Ok fans....... What team is going to make the biggest gains this year?
    Relative to last season, it has to be UAH. Will we finish any higher than 10th? Probably not, but we darn well better not be the absolute doormat we were last year.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Final 5 presale is going on now, for the 25 other people that are going. Got my tickets on the glass.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        Relative to last season, it has to be UAH. Will we finish any higher than 10th? Probably not, but we darn well better not be the absolute doormat we were last year.
        I've been slowly going through the WCHA rosters and there's really nothing horrible or anything with UAH's roster. Do other teams have slightly more well regarded players? Yeah ... but the margin isn't big by any means. With the right attitude from the players (belief) and quality coaching (systems and motivation etc) the Mustangs/Broncos/Horses/Steeds i.e... whatever ... should be better this year for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          I've been slowly going through the WCHA rosters and there's really nothing horrible or anything with UAH's roster. Do other teams have slightly more well regarded players? Yeah ... but the margin isn't big by any means. With the right attitude from the players (belief) and quality coaching (systems and motivation etc) the Mustangs/Broncos/Horses/Steeds i.e... whatever ... should be better this year for sure.
          The lack of scoring is what kills us. We can't keep the puck in the zone, and that means that it ends up in ours, and then Ben Reinhardt can't block all of them, and then Larose and Guerriero can't stop them all. In McHugh I trust, though. If he and Kestner can bang home some goals and our offense isn't reliant on Jack Prince's slow feet to score goals, we might just be okay. This year is about bringing in new blood and consolidating some gains.

I just voted in the WCHA media poll. In short:

01 Minnesota State University, Mankato
          02 Ferris State University
          03 Bowling Green State University
          04 Michigan Technological University
          05 University of Alaska Anchorage
          06 University of Alaska
          07 Northern Michigan University
          08 Bemidji State University
          09 Lake Superior State University
          10 The University of Alabama in Huntsville

Player of the year: CJ Motte, G, FSU

Newcomer of the year: Max McHugh, F, UAH

All-WCHA Team:
          G CJ Motte, FSU
          D Colton Parayko, UAF
          D Zach Palmquist, MSUM
          F Matt Leitner, MSUM
          F John-Paul Lafontaine, MSUM
          F Tyler Morley, UAF

I may be screwing up by not having Huggins as the first-team goalie. MSU-M fans are probably shaking their heads at that. If Huggins plays like he did last season, well ... I may look like an idiot. [Wouldn't be the first time.]

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            The lack of scoring is what kills us. We can't keep the puck in the zone, and that means that it ends up in ours, and then Ben Reinhardt can't block all of them, and then Larose and Guerriero can't stop them all. In McHugh I trust, though. If he and Kestner can bang home some goals and our offense isn't reliant on Jack Prince's slow feet to score goals, we might just be okay. This year is about bringing in new blood and consolidating some gains.
            It's a depth issue of sorts ... what I mean by that is that the Chargers as a team have a lot of equality of talent. As you indicate, the top end scoring isn't quite there but as a group other teams really won't know if their playing against the 1st line or the 4th line due to the level of "sameness" that comes out on each shift. They'll be hard to play against. Dean Talafous had a team like that at UAA and maximized his defensive posture and when he got lucky with a hot freshman goalie they racked up a decent season.

I just voted in the WCHA media poll. In short:

01 Minnesota State University, Mankato
            02 Ferris State University
            03 Bowling Green State University
            04 Michigan Technological University
            05 University of Alaska Anchorage
            06 University of Alaska
            07 Northern Michigan University
            08 Bemidji State University
            09 Lake Superior State University
            10 The University of Alabama in Huntsville

Player of the year: CJ Motte, G, FSU

Newcomer of the year: Max McHugh, F, UAH

All-WCHA Team:
            G CJ Motte, FSU
            D Colton Parayko, UAF
            D Zach Palmquist, MSUM
            F Matt Leitner, MSUM
            F John-Paul Lafontaine, MSUM
            F Tyler Morley, UAF

I may be screwing up by not having Huggins as the first-team goalie. MSU-M fans are probably shaking their heads at that. If Huggins plays like he did last season, well ... I may look like an idiot. [Wouldn't be the first time.]

GFM
            I tend to think that Parayko is THE best prospect in the league. He could have not returned and be on his way to the show after a year in the AHL. I think he's the next PK Subban with more upside offensively. If he isn't the leading scorer from the blueline this season then I'll shave my head.
            Last edited by uaafanblog; 09-18-2014, 01:15 AM.

Comment

The problem for UAH is, they can improve quite a bit, which I think they will, and still be in 10th place. As Geoff mentioned earlier, the expectation should be to be more competitive this year, but 10th place is still probably where they end up. I think everyone understands that this is a several year process for UAH, and everyone (except for BSU fans) are pulling for UAH to succeed.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

From what I've read so far on various team threads, every team in the WCHA will be moving up in the standings this year due to "best incoming class ever", "underclassmen are ready to step up", "our power play and penalty kill are vastly improved", "we didn't lose any key players", "we have another year under our belt", "new coaching staff", "the ship is now headed in the right direction", "we have a new zamboni", "fan base is really fired up to support the team", "The Bauer Jackhawk 9000 sticks our team will be using has a lower kick point on the shaft resulting in a shot with 10% more energy off the blade", etc, etc.

Based on this, with everyone moving up in the standings, teams should be finishing anywhere between -2nd and 7th in the conference since even last year's top three teams will be moving up as well. I am really looking forward to this historic year because to the best of my knowledge, no one has EVER finished higher than 1st in the WCHA.

Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  From what I've read so far on various team threads, every team in the WCHA will be moving up in the standings this year due to "best incoming class ever", "underclassmen are ready to step up", "our power play and penalty kill are vastly improved", "we didn't lose any key players", "we have another year under our belt", "new coaching staff", "the ship is now headed in the right direction", "we have a new zamboni", "fan base is really fired up to support the team", "The Bauer Jackhawk 9000 sticks our team will be using has a lower kick point on the shaft resulting in a shot with 10% more energy off the blade", etc, etc.

Based on this, with everyone moving up in the standings, teams should be finishing anywhere between -2nd and 7th in the conference since even last year's top three teams will be moving up as well. I am really looking forward to this historic year because to the best of my knowledge, no one has EVER finished higher than 1st in the WCHA.

Ryan J
                  Hehehehe. I don't think that Ferris can really say this, though. They were very, very good last year, and they have Motte, but I don't see them being the force they were last season.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Ryan J
                    Which is why I put this little statement at the end of my post: "Hey, its the beginning of the year and everyone has hopes of grandeur!"
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      I tend to think that Parayko is THE best prospect in the league. If he isn't the leading scorer from the blueline this season then I'll shave my head.
                      Parayko vs the field is a high risk bet.
                      Shane Hanna of MTU might get you a new hairstyle in March...

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Ryan J
                        I believe the top 3 teams move up to the AHL, so yes, it's possible every team moves up a spot or two.
                        BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                          I believe the top 3 teams move up to the AHL, so yes, it's possible every team moves up a spot or two.
                          All joking aside... promotion / relegation is an awesome system I wish we had...
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

• Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                            All joking aside... promotion / relegation is an awesome system I wish we had...
                            It's not. It seems great in theory but all it really does is solidifies the teams with money and everybody else one bad year away from bankruptcy and oblivion.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              It's not. It seems great in theory but all it really does is solidifies the teams with money and everybody else one bad year away from bankruptcy and oblivion.
                              Sure for the top few, but the guys on the bottom actually have to fight for something besides being the worst. Makes the top and the bottom matter. If you're that bad year after year... perhaps you deserve it?
                              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                                Sure for the top few, but the guys on the bottom actually have to fight for something besides being the worst. Makes the top and the bottom matter. If you're that bad year after year... perhaps you deserve it?
                                Year after year? sure, but the bad part about it is you cant take the time to develop talent, at the risk of being relegated.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X