Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I am not very surprised. Why wouldn't Minnesota State want to continue developing its rivalries in hockey that it already has in many other sports? UMD and SCSU are in state teams that are wanted in conference play. North Dakota and the Mavericks have always had some gritty series, and MSU started winning games against them the last few years, adding splash to that series. UNO and MSU have played every year of UNO's exsistence with exception to this year. Travel costs likely decrease by playing in the NCHC as well. Not to mention, there is more exposure to high school kids in Minnesota when the Mavericks are regularly playing SCSU, UMD, and UND, which, in theory, helps recruiting.
    Same with Bemidji. If the "olive branch" was extended, I could see BSU leaving for these exact reasons. UMD, SCSU, MSUM and BSU are in the same league for their other sports. UND is just up the road and there have been some good games with them. UNO may not want to see the Beavers on the schedule as the Green seemed to have their number in the oWCHA. Denver and CC, eh, they didn't draw well in Bemidji in the oWCHA and it would probably be much of the same if BSU slid over to the NCHC.

But I also hope it doesn't happen as I can see BSU being a lower half team more times than not in the NCHC. With the nWCHA, chances are better there.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

For the on ice product, the nWCHA was as good as any league. The races for a playoff berth, home ice, a league title all came down to the final night. Every game mattered all season long. The Island of Misfit Teams had as exciting a race as has ever been seen. With as close as the league was from 3-9, one goal here, or another there could have drastically altered the standings.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        But, greener pastures exist in the WCHA, competing for league titles and NCAA berths more than every 5-8 years.
        Maybe the Maverick program without Mike Hastings. If you think Hastings and his staff believe they wouldn't consistently compete for conference titles in the NCHC, you're wrong. The Mavericks should be able to consistently be a powerhouse in the nWCHA, yes, but how would this year's team have stacked up in the NCHC along with BSU there. We'll take out Miami and WMU or leave them in, whichever you prefer. The Mavericks probably end up in the Tournament, and right there with SCSU and UND as the top three in the league. No, they wouldn't have won as many games, but they wouldn't have needed to with a better SOS.

SCSU is ahead of the Mavericks as a program right now, but Minnesota State is on a similar path to what SCSU did to get to the point where they are in their program.

If the Mavericks went to the NCHC, BSU would be there as well; it would be either a two team switch, or a two team addition.

I enjoyed the first year of the nWCHA. I really did, and as purple stated, the FSU series was as good as any regular season series played in Mankato ever. Do the Mavericks really truly have a better chance of making the tournament in the nWCHA every year rather than the NCHC? Probably, but the margin for error is slim. Had this game won 24 games, rather than 26, it doesn't play in the national tournament.
        Last edited by MavHockey14; 04-02-2014, 11:49 AM.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          If the Mavericks went to the NCHC, BSU would be there as well; it would be either a two team switch, or a two team addition.
          If they add or switch, it will definitely be two teams to keep an even number of teams. If one of those teams is MSU or BSU, it wouldn't necessarily be the other that comes along with them.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            If they add or switch, it will definitely be two teams to keep an even number of teams. If one of those teams is MSU or BSU, it wouldn't necessarily be the other that comes along with them.
            Both teams will go as a package.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              But, greener pastures exist in the WCHA, competing for league titles and NCAA berths more than every 5-8 years.
              But the Minnesota teams are in a different time zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                Both teams will go as a package.
                Just like the three MAC schools a couple years back...
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  Who else is logical?
                  AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    GFM, I'll gladly have a beer with any fan of this league any time, anywhere. .
                    I have mine at Stuckos.

Comment

Originally posted by mavhockey14 View Post
                      who else is logical?
                      uah!

gfm
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I would love for there to be a way for UAA and UAH and NMU and Bemidji and the rest of us leftover to be able to flip the flying fickle finger of fate to those who thought they were so Super.
                        All that matters is Gwoz got fired by Peggy.

Comment

Since re-realignment is a topic here, I'll bring up a thought I had. Obviously it won't happen, because it would require the NCHC to work together for the greater good and would essentially be admitting the the NCHC was a rediculous overreaction. Anyway, this is what I would like to see and I think it would save on travel costs at least a little for some teams, a lot for others, as well as boosting attendance a little due to more games being closer for traveling fans:

The NCHC takes Mankato and Bemidji, the WCHA takes Miami and Western. I think it's generally better if the Alaska schools are split, so Anchorage would go to the NCHC (we could also dispense with the nonsense and just call them the WCHA and CCHA again). 24 game conference schedule like the NCHC has now, and each team has a protected rival they always play 4 times. The rivals would be mostly common sense:
                          St. Cloud-UMD
                          NoDak-Bemidji
                          The Colorado schools
                          The Maverick schools
                          Tech-Northern
                          Western-Ferris
                          Bowling Green-Miami
                          Lake State would kinda get screwed having to travel to UAH every season
                          This is where I get unrealistically innovative: The Alaska school always play each other 4 times and those games would count for their respective conferences. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there is a way to make that schedule work.
                          This would also help the conference tournaments as a much higher % of the schools would be relatively close to the tournament sites (as long as what should be called the CCHA kept the tournament in Michigan, instead of rotating).
                          In my estimation, this would be better for everyone (except, maybe Lake State), but that means nothing like it would ever be considered.
                          SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                          UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                          Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                          Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                          UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                          UMD Men: 2011

Comment

For the on ice product, the nWCHA was as good as any league.
                            Tell that to Gwoz.

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post

... the WCHA takes Miami and Western.
                              Miami and Western can get urinated upon.

I understand what you want ... cos I'd love to not have any Michigan or Ohio schools in the conference my team plays in.

How about this ... NMU, MTU, Lake St., Ferris Wheel, Bowling Pins, Western, Miami and North Dakota (UND just to make them fly once a year so we can see the bichigan schools fans all moan and whine incessantly about it and because there's no way that group would consider taking UAH). The WCHA then would be UAA, UA_, Kato, Bemidji, St. Claude St., UofD, CC and HuntsKetchup.

Duluth and Omaha can just fold.
                              Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-02-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

We're talking legit conference realignment, or at least acknowledging what can and cannot be, and Donald comes and ruins it. Figures.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X