X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Regionals attendance

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
    Two Words: "Lake" and "Placid"
    Had a great time there last week. ECAC is tied up there in their tourney for five years I think though.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
      Agreed, and with Meehan Popcorn Guy. Nobody wants to go to a boring party. The NCAA IMO needs to drop the "no home ice" rule and go back to on campus facilities (not best of 3) but on-campus facilities for a while. Same regional format but facilities that will be more full and generate energy and fun. Western bias here...but Engelstad (sp?) Mariucci or Denver's Magness arena (not the Pepsi Center), and the new place in Duluth would be great facilities and about the right size. Resch Center in Green Bay (about 8,000) works well with the right teams. I know I'm western bias here but I don't know the eastern rinks as well.
      I agree with this sentiment of on campus facilities. If a team wants to be in contention then build a decent facility (UVM we are talking to you!!) .

Lake Placid is a great location as well. '

And the Ralph is an amazing facility..not sure how you would host that many schools out there (flights etc) but I can see the concept.

I would rather be at a campus site than Cincy or Bridgeport..

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
        I agree with this sentiment of on campus facilities. If a team wants to be in contention then build a decent facility (UVM we are talking to you!!) .

Lake Placid is a great location as well. '

And the Ralph is an amazing facility..not sure how you would host that many schools out there (flights etc) but I can see the concept.

I would rather be at a campus site than Cincy or Bridgeport..
        See, I enjoyed Bridgeport and was surprised the rink was that nice!
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by PuckLuck81 View Post
          I just think we need to come to grips that the interest level in Men's college hockey is just not what it used to be. Too many other options for people now. Hockey will continue to be a regional affair and will always play 3rd fiddle to the big two - football and basketball - in terms of revenue and TV coverage. When a great hockey market like St Paul can only draw 8800 people with two local teams competing for a spot in the FF you have a problem. I agree with other posters that the NCAA needs to re-evaluate ticket prices and look to move into smaller venues to start creating a demand again.
          9232 and 8893 for St Paul (West Region) attendance this year; and 9386 and 10974 in 2012 with MN, UND, BU and WMi with a MN/UND final.....how much more were you expecting. Why would you move the West Region to a smaller 10, 8, or 6k arena and lower prices......

Comment

Originally posted by Madtown View Post
            Here's my take for what little it is worth. I am a Badger season ticket holder and like to follow the team as much as possible. Having said that the past 6 years we have always made the trip to St. Paul for the WCHA Final Five and this year the BI6 Tourny. The final five had decent crowds and a good atmosphere. The Big6 was decent this year as well. Taking off Fri to get up to St. Paul and getting back late Sunday afternoon. Going into work Monday to ask for the coming Fri off so I can drive 7 hours and spend another couple hundred is tough. Then throw in the fact that if your team does make it to the Frozen Four, you go into work the next Monday and ask for Wed-Fri off. Drop $500/ person on flights due to less than 2 week lead time, 4 nights hotel, food, drink and couple tickets. Maybe some don't see a problem with that, but in my mind you have to pick and choose out of the 3 weekends. I think in a lot of situations a conference tourney is closer and probably more affordable, and if I'm choosing between the frozen four and the regionals I am going with frozen four. Now with our tourney in Detroit next year I may rethink things. I love hockey but to be in every arena at the end of the year is tough.
            This makes perfect sense. That's why the NCAA ignores it.
            Providence College
            National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

For a fan to pay to attend a regional and then the Frozen Four - it is a huge financial commitment. No way I could do both

Comment

The game times will continue to be terrible...
                How were the game times terrible? They were no different than the bouncyball tourney once down to 16 teams, with some games during the day and others in prime time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                  Once you make the NCAA Tournament, the NCAA either charters a bus for you (less than 400 miles?) or charters you a jet (more than 400 miles?) to get to the regional. Grand Forks has the airport to handle this.

The 400 mile part is what I have heard is the criteria as to which mode of transportation you get.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    Once you make the NCAA Tournament, the NCAA either charters a bus for you (less than 400 miles?) or charters you a jet (more than 400 miles?) to get to the regional. Grand Forks has the airport to handle this.

The 400 mile part is what I have heard is the criteria as to which mode of transportation you get.
                    I believe it's actually 500 miles or Atleast that's the rule in Division III
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

400 miles is the threshold. And they don't charter you a jet. If you are far enough away that travel will be by air the NCAA travel agency makes the arrangements and it may very well be commercial. Teams may also choose to get themselves there too, if they want to fly but the NCAA is only paying for ground transport.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        I would have to say that the main reason the attendance was medicore was the price of the tickets. Pretty hefty price for a college kid.
                        This is the reason attendance was low. The $47.50 price tag scared away everyone I know. The week before at the Garden I went with a group of 11 on Friday and a group of 12 for the Saturday game. For the game Saturday in Worcester only two of us went and Sunday in Worcester only three of us went. Everyone said they were definitely going to Worcester until they found out what the ticket prices were.

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                          This is the reason attendance was low. The $47.50 price tag scared away everyone I know. The week before at the Garden I went with a group of 11 on Friday and a group of 12 for the Saturday game. For the game Saturday in Worcester only two of us went and Sunday in Worcester only three of us went. Everyone said they were definitely going to Worcester until they found out what the ticket prices were.
                          What were ticket prices at TD for hockey east?
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Madtown View Post
                            Here's my take for what little it is worth. I am a Badger season ticket holder and like to follow the team as much as possible. Having said that the past 6 years we have always made the trip to St. Paul for the WCHA Final Five and this year the BI6 Tourny. The final five had decent crowds and a good atmosphere. The Big6 was decent this year as well. Taking off Fri to get up to St. Paul and getting back late Sunday afternoon. Going into work Monday to ask for the coming Fri off so I can drive 7 hours and spend another couple hundred is tough. Then throw in the fact that if your team does make it to the Frozen Four, you go into work the next Monday and ask for Wed-Fri off. Drop $500/ person on flights due to less than 2 week lead time, 4 nights hotel, food, drink and couple tickets. Maybe some don't see a problem with that, but in my mind you have to pick and choose out of the 3 weekends. I think in a lot of situations a conference tourney is closer and probably more affordable, and if I'm choosing between the frozen four and the regionals I am going with frozen four. Now with our tourney in Detroit next year I may rethink things. I love hockey but to be in every arena at the end of the year is tough.
                            Hit's the nail on the head. Spot on.
                            Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              What were ticket prices at TD for hockey east?
                              I paid 37 for lower bowl seat from PC for one game....Paid 65 for the three games total at the Regionals in Bridgeport. So it was basically the same price point for me.
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Bridgeport
                                6529/ 8525
                                6655/ 8525
                                13184/ 17050 77.3%

Cincinnati
                                5390/14453
                                5721/14453
                                11111/ 28906 38.4%

Worcester
                                6522/14800
                                5474/14800
                                11996 /29600 40.5%

St Paul
                                9232/18568
                                8893/18568
                                18125/ 37136 48.8%

Totals
                                54416 /112692 48.3%

I hear the same four complaints on Twitter constantly:
                                1) Stop having regionals in huge arenas that don't warrant it. Look at Bridgeport. The only arena with a capacity under 14,000 and they were the only facility that even filled half the seats.
                                2) Drop the ticket prices. We've been harping on this for years. Look at Cincinnati. A college hockey wasteland. Every school that was there had to fly. They still drew over 5300 fans/day because they had a reasonably priced ticket ($40) and made the games attactive for locals and for fans of the teams who had to travel. How many people would have made the trek from Madison or Grand Forks if ticket prices were the usual rate?
                                3) Allow tiered pricing and substantial student discounts to promote student turnout and encourage locals. The average student can't nearly afford seats at the regionals. Why are seats in the front row the same price as nosebleeds? Drop the price of the upper deck seats, put the students up there and let them go crazy.
                                4) I don't drink alcohol, but this seems to be a biggie for fans: SELL BEER. The NCAA can't possibly be opposed to the beer companies, considering how much advertising they allow during basketball games. When I was watching the orangeball tournament on CBS, TBS, TNT I didn't just see beer ads, there were ads for a lot harder liquor than that. They have no moral leg to stand on with this demand. Open the taps and let the profits flow.

Of course, I expect the NCAA and event organizers to adopt exactly none of these policies.

Comment

Working...
                                X