• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LTsatch
    replied
    Re: General Tourney Talking Points

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Just some random statistics about the tournament, and teams getting to the Frozen Four, since we went to a 16 team field (11 seasons, not counting the present one):

1. Regional #1 seeds have made it to the Frozen Four 20 of 44 chances.
    2. Regional #2 seeds have made it 9 of 44 chances.
    3. Regional #3 seeds have made it 9 of 44 chances.
    4. Regional #4 seeds have made it 6 of 44 chances.

5. Six of the 11 champions have been #1 seeds in their region.
    6. Two were #2 seeds.
    7. Two were #3 seeds.
    8. One was a #4 seed.

In terms of the breakdown of the #1 regional seeds who made the Frozen Four:

9. 8 of the 20 were the #1 seed overall. 3 became champs.
    10. 3 of the 20 were the #2 seed overall. 1 became champs.
    11. 6 of the 20 were the #3 seed overall. 1 became champs.
    12. 3 of the 20 were the #4 seed overall. 1 became champs.

9 of the 11 champs have come out of either the #1 overall seed's bracket, or the #2 overall seed's bracket. The only 2 champions to come out of either the #3 or #4 overall seed's brackets happened to be the first seed in that bracket (Minnesota in '03 and BC in '10).

Finally, if you were to list the overall seed of the champions over the past 11 seasons, it would look like this:

3, 8, 2, 1, 10, 7, 1, 4, 9, 1, 15

Interesting that only #1 overall repeated.
    Reading this just verifies that what Yale did last year was absolutely remarkable. Queue---"Glory Days"

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
    Really? Pick 11 numbers from a pool of 16 and weigh it toward the better seeds. Seems likely.
    I'm not surprised that 1 has repeated. I'm surprised it was the only seed number that did. I would have thought there might have been a couple of #2 or #3 overall seed champions. Of course, a very small sample size.

Leave a comment:

• Erix_The_Red
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Really? Pick 11 numbers from a pool of 16 and weigh it toward the better seeds. Seems likely.

Edit: For fun I just did it 1000 times and never got 1st seed to be the only repeat. Sorry.
    Last edited by Erix_The_Red; 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Just some random statistics about the tournament, and teams getting to the Frozen Four, since we went to a 16 team field (11 seasons, not counting the present one):

1. Regional #1 seeds have made it to the Frozen Four 20 of 44 chances.
    2. Regional #2 seeds have made it 9 of 44 chances.
    3. Regional #3 seeds have made it 9 of 44 chances.
    4. Regional #4 seeds have made it 6 of 44 chances.

5. Six of the 11 champions have been #1 seeds in their region.
    6. Two were #2 seeds.
    7. Two were #3 seeds.
    8. One was a #4 seed.

In terms of the breakdown of the #1 regional seeds who made the Frozen Four:

9. 8 of the 20 were the #1 seed overall. 3 became champs.
    10. 3 of the 20 were the #2 seed overall. 1 became champs.
    11. 6 of the 20 were the #3 seed overall. 1 became champs.
    12. 3 of the 20 were the #4 seed overall. 1 became champs.

9 of the 11 champs have come out of either the #1 overall seed's bracket, or the #2 overall seed's bracket. The only 2 champions to come out of either the #3 or #4 overall seed's brackets happened to be the first seed in that bracket (Minnesota in '03 and BC in '10).

Finally, if you were to list the overall seed of the champions over the past 11 seasons, it would look like this:

3, 8, 2, 1, 10, 7, 1, 4, 9, 1, 15

Last edited by SJHovey; 03-26-2014, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    The tickets for Cincy are pretty cheap aren't they? At least we'll get an idea of the effect of ticket prices. Of course we won't know what the crowds would have been like at higher prices, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless.
    They are cheap, relatively so, 40 bucks all three games. I think though the bigger effect on lower prices is where you have a greater mix of casual, fairly interested, and diehard fans all together. In Cincy the college hockey fans are likely to be the diehards anyway, and that crowd is always more willing to shell out the big bucks. I'd be curious to see the crowd in the X if tickets there were 40 bucks instead of more than twice that. My guess is 100 tickets in Cincinnati would have led to a crowd of around 1000 and 40 dollar tickets won't have much of an effect. $100 tickets will probably keep the X no more than 60-70% full at best, but $40 tickets and that place would be packed and the scalpers would be making a killing.

Leave a comment:

• UnionHockeyManiac
    replied

The Bridgeport regional sold 3,000 tickets before the teams were announced. I know Union sold out of their 400 ticket allotment yesterday and I assume the other schools have as well. Union, UVM, Quinnipiac, and Providence all requested more than 400 tickets so we'll see if that request is granted.

Leave a comment:

• jhptygate
    replied

Colgate won't travel well to Cincy. We don't travel well in general. And it's about a 10 hour drive from campus. I'm guessing UND and Wisconsin will travel well but the early game should look pretty empty, because whatever Ferris State fans show up won't receive much help from Colgate fans.

Leave a comment:

• CLS
    replied

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
    Cincy for the smallest crowd?
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    seems like the midwest regional generally has been the worst in this regard. say over the past five years or so. that should continue.
    The tickets for Cincy are pretty cheap aren't they? At least we'll get an idea of the effect of ticket prices. Of course we won't know what the crowds would have been like at higher prices, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    seems like the midwest regional generally has been the worst in this regard. say over the past five years or so. that should continue.

Leave a comment:

• alnike
    replied

I believe the past three Frozen Fours have combined for 12 different schools. Over last four seasons, BC is only team to make the FF twice and obviously won it too.

Leave a comment:

• MagnessMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LTsatch
    replied

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
    clearly the East
    I just checked the ticketbastard site, for Friday, on the "choose your seats" map they are showing about 1,100 seats left to choose. It was posted in the East regional thread by a rep from Yale (the host), that early this week 3,500 hundred two day seats had already been sold with 400 seats allotted to each participating team. He also went on to state that the teams asked for more, but were not given the extra tickets. Hopefully be close to a sellout, Friday early game will most likely look bad due to no shows wanting only to see QPAC.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

Still wondering if anyone has insight into start times.
    The only 1/4 match-up to be a late game is North Dakota/Wisconsin. That was done because the first game of that regional was scheduled to be on ESPN3 only, and the second game was scheduled to be on ESPNU. They wanted North Dakota/Wisconsin on television, and Ferris State/Colgate online.

Leave a comment:

• unh1982
    replied
    Which regional will have the biggest turnout and which one will have the least?
    clearly the East

Leave a comment:

• theprofromdover
    replied
    Still wondering if anyone has insight into start times.
    Generally, the highest seed gets the early game so they get more rest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X