• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied
    Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
    I see Pirri as more likely to jump myself. Why? 2nd rounder vs. 6th. Big money for a 6th rounder who needs to get bigger and work on his skating is unlikely to happen right now.

This could change after next year's Junior tournament if Jerry is lights out again and does it all alone. He had a great tournament this year but some folks might think Stepan had a lot to do with that. If Jerry does it again next year on his own (and the Leafs still stink) then the pressure to get him increases.

In my opinion he should stay as long as possible. It is just as easy to work on skating and size in college as it is in the minors - which is where he will likely be headed if he leaves prior to his junior year.
    I agree with most of this. The USA earned the trophy with a team effort, not through any one individual effort. The one thing Jerry won't get at RPI is the nightly beatings of physical play that players face in the ECHL or AHL. Jerry would weather that punishment better with more size and speed, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Well that's a fine theory, but it isn't very realistic. I'd be willing to bet that if the Leafs or the Hawks came calling on you with a check with five zeros, you'd have a decision to make. Properly invested, someone could buy a lot of education, play the game they love AND still have some $$$ left to learn how to talk to girls.

Jerry said it himself in that radio interview: "My dream has always been to play in the NHL..when they want me, I'll go..." I don't think that should come as a surprise to anyone.
    For the right athlete that check can have 6 zeros-that is what hqappened with Brad Tapper after his third year and it was an offer that was virtually impossible to turn down. The risk of a serious injury is always there and your career can be over-a check for a cool 2 million can make that a little less painful to take. Personally I don't see that happening for any of our boys for at least another 2 years but you just never know.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I have some very exciting news for Doc D. He can now enjoy his penchant for smooth vodka AND support RPI. T/U video link below details the Vodka distilling company two RPI grads have started in Maine. I can already hear Doc making plans for a summer road trip .

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/...g-vodka/16840/
    This could be interesting. Hoping we have a lot more to celebrate with the upcoming ECAC schedule-a substantial winning streak would be quite nice.

Leave a comment:

• jmhusker
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I expect both Pirri and D'Amigo to return next season. I can't predict what happens after that. Obviously, I want both to stay for four years. Be that as it may, I hope we get into the NCAA tourney in 2011. We should have a good shot if we don't lose anyone we are counting on.
    I see Pirri as more likely to jump myself. Why? 2nd rounder vs. 6th. Big money for a 6th rounder who needs to get bigger and work on his skating is unlikely to happen right now.

This could change after next year's Junior tournament if Jerry is lights out again and does it all alone. He had a great tournament this year but some folks might think Stepan had a lot to do with that. If Jerry does it again next year on his own (and the Leafs still stink) then the pressure to get him increases.

In my opinion he should stay as long as possible. It is just as easy to work on skating and size in college as it is in the minors - which is where he will likely be headed if he leaves prior to his junior year.

Leave a comment:

• engineerhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by JCrawford View Post
    Only D'Amigo can say why he came to RPI in the first place.

Deciding to play for RPI (or, quite frankly, at the college level period) puts him at a huge advantage versus playing Major Juniors, in the event something unfortunate does happen that ends his hockey career. While of course getting a full degree would (educationally) be the ideal, even two years' worth of an RPI education puts him at a distinct advantage. There's plenty to be learned at RPI both inside and outside of the classroom.

I think you should step away from Shirley Ann's Red Kool-Aid for a bit.
    It was mentioned at the gold medal game that D'Amigo chose RPI to be close to home and play for a coach who was part of National Championships.
    No one mentioned education.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X