X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
    ...Overall an Ugly game but major props for Bryce. Wish he had played more recently. Really felt Seth slighted the kid afer he won the holiday tourney opener and Seth went to York who obviously was far from 100% healthy. Glad to have the Much needed win!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I worry about a lot of things, but how Seth handles our keepers isn't one of them.

I too was glad to see Bryce play well. Any team is better when you have two viable keepers. I suspect - no direct knowledge - that Allen has been nicked up these last few weeks. In any event, Allen and all of our guys will use the time off to rest and recoup for the stretch run in January.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
      Great great job Melissa! I'm sure a few parents will be looking to get a hold of some of those pics! Outstanding.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
        Doc I saw you mentioned in the game thread that you thought the defense did poorly tonight and that's about the only thing I'd disagree with. BU is extremely talented but mired in some sort of funk where they're both not getting breaks and not helping create their own luck.

Cohen's power play goal wasn't a fault of the defense, he tipped a shot from the point and it found the net. The two shorthanded goals came while RPI was trying to kickstart the offense with five forwards. I'd mentioned on the broadcast tonight that after the shorthanded chance(s) BU got towards the end of the second if we'd see that five forward unit out there again and surely enough we didn't the rest of the way. BU was extremely aggressive on the kill and blocked a lot of shots out high (something I didn't make enough note of).

The defense did well aside from some uncharacteristic boneheadedness from Foss - after all, the defense, for once, carried the offense. Brutlag, for as much as he makes me crazy with his penchant for pinching, scored and drew two penalties and it seemed apparent that BU didn't quite know how to handle him when he jumped into the play. While the shot differential early on was pretty rough the defense really held tight and didn't break.

I'm not picking an argument here at all, just wanted to pass along what I was seeing out there tonight (don't know if you had an online feed from NESN or not).
        Outstanding job on color GLM...best I've ever heard from WRPI. Let me the first (or the latest) to nominate you for a permanenet gig! Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
          ...And will those jedi powers help us get the injured back on the ice soon?
          Amen Padre!

Comment

Originally posted by Section 22 View Post
            woooooo, much needed win! Great momentum builder to take to the Great Lakes Invitational.
            While I'm not sure how feasible it is to carry momentum into a three week lay off, I'm pretty glad they won. My hope is that we have a full roster (aside from D'Amigo) for Seth to work with come the GLI.

I have deputized Ralph as a Special Agent to ensure that D'Amigo isn't snatched away to Kitchener during his absence from Troy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              I have deputized Ralph as a Special Agent to ensure that D'Amigo isn't snatched away to Kitchener during his absence from Troy.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                I've said it before and I'll say it again, I worry about a lot of things, but how Seth handles our keepers isn't one of them.

I too was glad to see Bryce play well. Any team is better when you have two viable keepers. I suspect - no direct knowledge - that Allen has been nicked up these last few weeks. In any event, Allen and all of our guys will use the time off to rest and recoup for the stretch run in January.
                If there's anything that was proven last year, is that York will definitely work for his play time. I'm sure the same bodes true for Merriam. If they go into the practice week knowing either of them could be called for Friday and Saturday, then I know they'll up their game and their skills for it. If there's one thing Coach is good at, it's pressuring the players during practice to be hungry for and fight for their ice time.

I'm not necessarily saying they should just put Merriam in net for the next few weeks where we have games because York gave up 5 goals in 3 of the past 4 games, but they should realize through practice that their job is on the line.

Why am I not mentioning the injury? Because if it really bothered Allen, I know he would have stepped up and said, "Coach, I need time to recoup, I'm giving my spot to Bryce for the next couple of games." He's hungry for play time, but may be getting a little comfortable because he's considered 1 at this point.

Comment

We have several injuries to be concerned about. With the break we probably will hear othing further about Bergin and Lee until the GLI. I too am hoping to see everyone back for that tournament.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Yeah, I am not concerned with the goaltending much at all. The only (and I do mean only) time I've seen York play and I was not comfortable with the way he was playing was in the 3rd period during the 2nd Union home game - and that came a period after he stood on his head.

It's outstanding to have a freshman goaltender that you can turn to like Merriam and you don't get worried when you hear he is playing. I had a neutral reaction to hearing that Bryce was playing against BU and his play on Friday night confirmed my lack of concern. That's a good position to be in.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Wow, Bryce has 1 okay game out with the others being total stinkers against bad teams(though BU is not an impressive team and they had one of their top players in the stands) and everyone is saying our goaltending situation is fine and that Merriam can step in at any time? I'm all for being optimistic but if York can't get back to what he was doing late last season and early this season, this team won't make it too far this year or next. Pretty much every goalie can have one hot game(though giving up 3 is not a great performance for any goalie at any level) and it seems like Merriam got his. Would it be great if he can be reliable and a solid BACKUP, yes. But if Appert goes in saying "York can play Friday and Merriam Saturday" like hes done unsuccessfully for the past 3 years(probably cause it happened to work once in Denver with 2 goalies that are both better than York) then this team has a serious problem because it probably means that York is still questionable and Appert is trying to find an answer.

When I heard Bryce was playing and Kerins wasn't I almost turned off the radio, but then I remembered that BU isn't good and Smith was playing.
                      The color of illusion is perfect blue
                      Chase: What Matters.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
                        Wow, Bryce has 1 okay game out with the others being total stinkers against bad teams(though BU is not an impressive team and they had one of their top players in the stands) and everyone is saying our goaltending situation is fine and that Merriam can step in at any time? I'm all for being optimistic but if York can't get back to what he was doing late last season and early this season, this team won't make it too far this year or next. Pretty much every goalie can have one hot game(though giving up 3 is not a great performance for any goalie at any level) and it seems like Merriam got his. Would it be great if he can be reliable and a solid BACKUP, yes. But if Appert goes in saying "York can play Friday and Merriam Saturday" like hes done unsuccessfully for the past 3 years(probably cause it happened to work once in Denver with 2 goalies that are both better than York) then this team has a serious problem because it probably means that York is still questionable and Appert is trying to find an answer.

When I heard Bryce was playing and Kerins wasn't I almost turned off the radio, but then I remembered that BU isn't good and Smith was playing.
                        I don't know if you watched the BU game, but having been there and seen Merriam play, he is a solid backup. His side to side movement is quicker than York's, and he's got a good glove hand. He has no definitive weak spot that I've seen to date (like York's high stick side). Are you going to blast him for the two shorties that the defense (not really defense as we had FIVE FORWARDS on the ice) stuck him with 2-on-1's for?

How do you call a 3-1-0 record for your backup "total stinkers"? His only loss was the 2-1 loss to Army and we have nobody to blame for that but the offense that could only net one goal on 40 shots.

York has played every ECAC game so far. Where do you get the idea that Appert is planning on going to a Friday-Saturday rotation like last year? Merriam came in and played a non-conference game. If you'd like we can have York start 30 games a year and if he ever gets hurt throw in a backup that's never seen the ice in a game situation.
                        APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post

I have a different perspective .He gave up three with very little of what we call a defense in front of him. It is not my intent to lay the blame solely on reds defensemen/reds wingers should carry the biggest part of the blame burden. How many odd man rushes,break aways, defensive zone give aways and shots from the slot did you count? He played a very solid game.On another note, I was surprised by the size of the crowd given the way BU has been playing.
                          Last edited by blocker; 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blocker View Post
                            I have a different perspective .He gave up three with very little of what we call a defense in front of him. It is not my intent to lay the blame solely on reds defensemen/reds wingers should carry the biggest part of the blame burden. How many odd man rushes,break aways, defensive zone give aways and shots from the slot did you count? He played a very solid game.On another note, I was surprised by the size of the crowd given the way BU has been playing.
                            I thought Merriam played OK but I was not as impressed as others. Thought he flopped around a bit. We'll see what more games brings. I am satisfied that he is an adequate back-up.

As far as the crowd goes, BU has a large season ticket base. The place was half empty so a better figure for actual attendance is probably somewhere in the 3's. Great rink with jumbo-tron and they serve beer. If RPI wants to compete we need to get the taps flowing at HFH. Just charge more reasonable prices!

On another note, was anyone else who attended as annoyed as me by the fact that they only showed replays when they were favorable to BU? Not one RPI goal was replayed. That stunk but at least I got to see some of the highlights on NESN.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                              I thought Merriam played OK but I was not as impressed as others. Thought he flopped around a bit. We'll see what more games brings. I am satisfied that he is an adequate back-up.

As far as the crowd goes, BU has a large season ticket base. The place was half empty so a better figure for actual attendance is probably somewhere in the 3's. Great rink with jumbo-tron and they serve beer. If RPI wants to compete we need to get the taps flowing at HFH. Just charge more reasonable prices!

On another note, was anyone else who attended as annoyed as me by the fact that they only showed replays when they were favorable to BU? Not one RPI goal was replayed. That stunk but at least I got to see some of the highlights on NESN.
                              To the best of my knowledge, the HFH can't sell beer any more because it is on campus.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                To the best of my knowledge, the HFH can't sell beer any more because it is on campus.
                                If memory serves, it is a league rule. None of the ECAC teams sell beer at their facilities or at the ECAC tourney site. They did sell beer at the Governor's Cup which was a "non-league" event, featuring league teams. If memory serves, Cheel and perhaps others, has an adjacent "club" area where the public can go and can buy dinner and a beer before the game. That might be an avenue to explore for RPI to make fans happy as well as to raise some program $$$.
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 12-14-2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X