X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

Originally posted by mwade View Post
    I'm so glad you got Merriam's save on Cohen. I have no idea how he got his skate over to the post to stop that shot. Great photos!
    APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
      Thanks
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
        Doc I saw you mentioned in the game thread that you thought the defense did poorly tonight and that's about the only thing I'd disagree with. BU is extremely talented but mired in some sort of funk where they're both not getting breaks and not helping create their own luck.

Cohen's power play goal wasn't a fault of the defense, he tipped a shot from the point and it found the net. The two shorthanded goals came while RPI was trying to kickstart the offense with five forwards. I'd mentioned on the broadcast tonight that after the shorthanded chance(s) BU got towards the end of the second if we'd see that five forward unit out there again and surely enough we didn't the rest of the way. BU was extremely aggressive on the kill and blocked a lot of shots out high (something I didn't make enough note of).

The defense did well aside from some uncharacteristic boneheadedness from Foss - after all, the defense, for once, carried the offense. Brutlag, for as much as he makes me crazy with his penchant for pinching, scored and drew two penalties and it seemed apparent that BU didn't quite know how to handle him when he jumped into the play. While the shot differential early on was pretty rough the defense really held tight and didn't break.

I'm not picking an argument here at all, just wanted to pass along what I was seeing out there tonight (don't know if you had an online feed from NESN or not).
        GLM-I did not see this game-just had to go by the WRPI feed for all the information. Sure sounded like the first period our defense was just backing up the entire time. Saw the shot totals and was amazed we had not given up 3 or more goals. Agreed that the 2 shorthanders against were not the defense's fault. But we had several odd man breaks against us with only 1 D back at times. Also sounded like Bryce had to make several saves in a row as the D just could not clear the crease. But overall you are correct-our Defense surprised me with their offense and creativity. This is what happens when I rely on a radio description of the game instead of seeing it. I am spoiled by Ustream and the great work done by RHamilton
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          This is what happens when I rely on a radio description of the game instead of seeing it. I am spoiled by Ustream and the great work done by RHamilton
          Perhaps it was poor color commentary.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot....-5-3.html#more RPI is the only team in the country to make multiple visits to Agganis Arena and remain undefeated at ‘The Greek.’
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The video cable from my DirecTV box to my computer had become disconnected, so I only got the NESN audio of yesterday's game. I have set it up now to record today's rebroadcast. I hope that it works now.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                Doc I saw you mentioned in the game thread that you thought the defense did poorly tonight and that's about the only thing I'd disagree with. BU is extremely talented but mired in some sort of funk where they're both not getting breaks and not helping create their own luck.

Cohen's power play goal wasn't a fault of the defense, he tipped a shot from the point and it found the net. The two shorthanded goals came while RPI was trying to kickstart the offense with five forwards. I'd mentioned on the broadcast tonight that after the shorthanded chance(s) BU got towards the end of the second if we'd see that five forward unit out there again and surely enough we didn't the rest of the way. BU was extremely aggressive on the kill and blocked a lot of shots out high (something I didn't make enough note of).

The defense did well aside from some uncharacteristic boneheadedness from Foss - after all, the defense, for once, carried the offense. Brutlag, for as much as he makes me crazy with his penchant for pinching, scored and drew two penalties and it seemed apparent that BU didn't quite know how to handle him when he jumped into the play. While the shot differential early on was pretty rough the defense really held tight and didn't break.

I'm not picking an argument here at all, just wanted to pass along what I was seeing out there tonight (don't know if you had an online feed from NESN or not).

Good description of what went on. And if that was you on the color, well done.

I was fortunate enough to do color once for an AHL game and safe to say stage fright is an understatement once that mic opens up.

Comment

So many positive things came out of last nights game, I hate to have to wait three weeks for the next one.
                  First, Bryce Merriam has shown that he can play and gives real competition to York. This should get York back on track. He has not looked very good lately and needed a push.
                  Second, Last week I said that this team did not know how to win. And they went out and proved that against Union. Last night, they past their first test in learning how to win. They tied the game and stepped up instead of going into a shell. Great to see.
                  While we were not ready to play in the first period, we took advantage of the situation to come out with a lead. That is what good teams do.
                  If we could have just kept them even on our power play, it would have been a blow out.
                  Bring on Michigan.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Here's a little trip in the wayback machine... RPI all-time against reigning national champions (7-10-0):

Mar. 12, 1954: def. Michigan, 6-4 (Frozen Four)
                    Jan. 2, 1960: lost to North Dakota, 8-3
                    Nov. 29, 1967: lost to Cornell, 8-1
                    Dec. 1, 1970: def. Cornell, 6-3
                    Dec. 22, 1971: lost to Boston University, 4-0
                    Feb. 18, 1972: lost to Boston University, 7-3
                    Mar. 7, 1972: lost to Boston University, 8-2 (ECAC Tournament)
                    Jan. 3, 1973: def. Boston University, 5-4
                    Feb. 17, 1973: lost to Boston University, 3-2 (ot)
                    Nov. 21, 1978: lost to Boston University, 3-1
                    Jan. 24, 1979: lost to Boston University, 5-3
                    Oct. 14, 1983: def. Wisconsin, 4-3
                    Oct. 15, 1983: lost to Wisconsin, 3-2
                    Nov. 25, 1989: def. Harvard, 7-5
                    Feb. 17, 1990: lost to Harvard, 7-3
                    Nov. 27, 1993: def. Maine, 5-4
                    Dec. 11, 2009: def. Boston University, 5-3
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Was glad to finally see the boys in person last night and even gladder to get the win. Random thoughts on the game:

- The first period was not as one sided as the shots total. Yes BU had many more chances but penalties (some questionable) accounted for a decent chunk of the shots.
                      - Brutlag had a great game. My most recent post regarding him questioned his decision making. For the most part it was all good last night. Even his penalty was not deserved (IMO). If he plays like that every game we will be fine.
                      - The PP was generally awful and the first short handed goal was a result of having 5 forwards on the ice - no one thought to cover the guys behind the play.
                      - The PK was shaky at first but better as the game went on. We seem to have trouble keeping a good box. I thought the forwards overcommitted on some plays and we often had 3 guys in the corner at once leaving only one man out front to deal with a 2 or 3 on 1 if the puck squirted to BU. Luckily it did not.
                      - Merriam was pretty solid but his glove looked a bit questionable (just waving it around at times). If was effective though and I'm glad he can come in and give York some time to heal/regain his form.
                      - Malchuk was impressive. Hard to believe that he got up from the hit he took before our 3rd goal but his sacrifice is what made that goal happen. I really like his hustle.
                      - Beauregard (SP?) is fun to watch. He's huge and he skates kind of slumped over - and his skating is not all that great. No way is he a D1 player if he is normal sized. Somehow he managed to be effective though - maybe the opponents were afraid to hit him.

Overall a great effort by the boys and the D in particular did fine. We won this one with hard work.

Comment

Now that I'm done clasping my hands over my ears to avoid spontaneously combusting during last game (and, you know, I've almost made it out of finals), I feel like I can finally get back into this. It was nice to see RPI finally turn it on and keep it on late into the game, especially after that period on Wednesday.

I'm also glad that Merriam was able to take the wheel confidently. Hopefully he'll be able push York back into his early-season form. On the other hand, like jstadts pointed out, BU has Rollheiser twitching on the bench, but they continue to trot Millan out there every night expecting a different result.

Anyway, it's good to have ended the losing streak. Hopefully we can carry the momentum into Michigan and surprise a few people.

Comment

Hard to have to wait 17 days for the next game after the win last night. I wonder if we will have enough time to heal all our injured players. If this is the 1/2 way point of the season-being at .500 is not all that bad.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by RPIPuzzleGuy View Post
                            Welp, we might have a schizo team this year. Here's hoping Good RPI shows up at the GLI. I haven't witnessed a win in 3.5 years. Speaking of which, I guess now's as good a time as any to share the following, which I wrote just after RPI's participation in the Denver Cup at the very beginning of this year.

http://www.tylerhinman.com/index.php...sk=view&id=128
                            Shameless plug.
                            Mileage logged, 2005-06: 12759

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                              I'm so glad you got Merriam's save on Cohen. I have no idea how he got his skate over to the post to stop that shot. Great photos!
                              Unfortunately the netcam is a bit slow so there is no shot between those. I have no idea how he got over there like that.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                This is what happens when I rely on a radio description of the game instead of seeing it. I am spoiled by Ustream and the great work done by RHamilton
                                Clearly I didn't spoil you with the descriptions of the action last night then because...

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Perhaps it was poor color commentary.
                                Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
                                Good description of what went on. And if that was you on the color, well done.
                                Yeah, that was me. I was trying to offer as much insight as to what I was actually seeing out there since most of the RPI faithful likely don't have NESN (who was carrying the game on TV in New England) and it helps the listeners to get a better sense of what is going on. Sometimes color commentary isn't just about pointing out the obvious.

Doc, the one thing you're right about is how the defense on the whole carried themselves in the first. When BU would gain the zone the forecheck was very passive allowing them to throw passes all around the zone. Once Merriam started making some saves though and RPI got a couple of goals, the entire team seemed to figure out that they could step out and be more aggressive attacking the puck carrier. Of course, that sort of defense falls on all five guys on the ice and not so much on just the rearguards.
                                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X