Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

    Smith plays and we win. Coincidence? I think not!
    Makes sense that Burgdoerfer is playing through injuries, he hadn't looked so great in the past couple games. Great to see d-men scoring again, you need to be able to put those shots in from the blue line or else its pretty tough setting up perfect passes every single time (which was the only way we could score recently).

    From the radio it sounded like the refs on this were even worse than your typical ecac ones, including the linesmen.

    good to see York resting 'cause he certainly wasn't getting it done on the ice, hopefully the time off does him good and he comes back sharp. Merriam sounded like he did okay out there but it sounds like the d played a pretty good game which helps a ton.
    look what happens to our PP without D'Amgio and Kerins, 0-6 with 2 SHG against

    Now we just have to finish like this against teams that matter, ecac.

    next thread should be RPI and the temple of D'Amgio ~~
    The color of illusion is perfect blue
    Chase: What Matters.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

      Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
      Clearly I didn't spoil you with the descriptions of the action last night then because...





      Yeah, that was me. I was trying to offer as much insight as to what I was actually seeing out there since most of the RPI faithful likely don't have NESN (who was carrying the game on TV in New England) and it helps the listeners to get a better sense of what is going on. Sometimes color commentary isn't just about pointing out the obvious.

      Doc, the one thing you're right about is how the defense on the whole carried themselves in the first. When BU would gain the zone the forecheck was very passive allowing them to throw passes all around the zone. Once Merriam started making some saves though and RPI got a couple of goals, the entire team seemed to figure out that they could step out and be more aggressive attacking the puck carrier. Of course, that sort of defense falls on all five guys on the ice and not so much on just the rearguards.
      GLM: That sums up the problem we have when we try to play in a defensive shell and also on the penalty kill. From the games I have seen we just get into a passive mode and dont seem to pressure anywhere. Teams are allowed to set up in our zone and pass the puck around until they get a decent shot. This team has so many good strong points but that appears to be a major weakness. Not being a hockey coach, I am not sure what SA has to do with the guys to remedy that.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

        Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        GLM: That sums up the problem we have when we try to play in a defensive shell and also on the penalty kill. From the games I have seen we just get into a passive mode and dont seem to pressure anywhere. Teams are allowed to set up in our zone and pass the puck around until they get a decent shot. This team has so many good strong points but that appears to be a major weakness. Not being a hockey coach, I am not sure what SA has to do with the guys to remedy that.
        BU was doing their best to make RPIs players run around like crazy on the PK and I don't know that that was the right move for them. Granted, BU had a few opportunities on slam dunk goals hop over or slip by under their sticks, but RPI did very well to rotate around and cover their positions well. Perhaps being locked in the passive box for RPI isn't the best way to go about it. RPI certainly is guilty of doing a lot of standing around and watching on the PK for sure.
        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

          NESN is rebroadcasting the RPI-BU game at 3:30.
          sigpic

          Let's Go 'Tute!

          Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

          2012 Poser Of The Year

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

            Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            NESN is rebroadcasting the RPI-BU game at 3:30.
            Unfortunately some of us in Central NY don't have NESN.

            Do they stream, or have video archive?

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

              Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Unfortunately some of us in Central NY don't have NESN.

              Do they stream, or have video archive?
              I don't know. I get it on DirecTV.
              sigpic

              Let's Go 'Tute!

              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

              2012 Poser Of The Year

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                BU was doing their best to make RPIs players run around like crazy on the PK and I don't know that that was the right move for them. Granted, BU had a few opportunities on slam dunk goals hop over or slip by under their sticks, but RPI did very well to rotate around and cover their positions well. Perhaps being locked in the passive box for RPI isn't the best way to go about it. RPI certainly is guilty of doing a lot of standing around and watching on the PK for sure.
                That seems to be the problem. We seem to do the same thing late in games when trying to sit on a lead. There is little question in my mind that we have made great strides from the past few years. I think we may surprise a few people at the GLI in a couple weeks (especially if we can get healthy).
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                  Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  I think we may surprise a few people at the GLI in a couple weeks (especially if we can get healthy).
                  Agreed. Michigan is having a not-so stellar year so far and it'd be fun to take them down a peg.
                  R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                    Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                    Agreed. Michigan is having a not-so stellar year so far and it'd be fun to take them down a peg.
                    and we do have a 6-3-1 lifetime record against them to protect
                    sigpic

                    Let's Go 'Tute!

                    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                    2012 Poser Of The Year

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                      Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                      Agreed. Michigan is having a not-so stellar year so far and it'd be fun to take them down a peg.
                      Not sure how well we will adapt to a game called by the CCHA refs but if we can stay out of the bad penalty situations(please no 5 on 3's) we should be able to skate with them. I would love to hear that Bergin is back healthy enough to play.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                        Originally posted by RobTricks View Post
                        Shameless plug.
                        Basically.
                        Tyler

                        The Human Hockey Hex
                        RPI record with me in attendance (since 2/25/06): 5-24-2
                        ECAC semifinals made since I enrolled: 0

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                          I blame all of you and your hockey team for making me catch up on 4 pages worth of "why us?" BU thread. Congrats on the win.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                            Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                            Here's a little trip in the wayback machine... RPI all-time against reigning national champions (7-10-0):

                            Mar. 12, 1954: def. Michigan, 6-4 (Frozen Four)
                            Jan. 2, 1960: lost to North Dakota, 8-3
                            Nov. 29, 1967: lost to Cornell, 8-1
                            Dec. 1, 1970: def. Cornell, 6-3
                            Dec. 22, 1971: lost to Boston University, 4-0
                            Feb. 18, 1972: lost to Boston University, 7-3
                            Mar. 7, 1972: lost to Boston University, 8-2 (ECAC Tournament)
                            Jan. 3, 1973: def. Boston University, 5-4
                            Feb. 17, 1973: lost to Boston University, 3-2 (ot)
                            Nov. 21, 1978: lost to Boston University, 3-1
                            Jan. 24, 1979: lost to Boston University, 5-3
                            Oct. 14, 1983: def. Wisconsin, 4-3
                            Oct. 15, 1983: lost to Wisconsin, 3-2
                            Nov. 25, 1989: def. Harvard, 7-5
                            Feb. 17, 1990: lost to Harvard, 7-3
                            Nov. 27, 1993: def. Maine, 5-4
                            Dec. 11, 2009: def. Boston University, 5-3
                            A lot of those games were in the Leon Abbott & Jim Salfi eras... says a lot about how long it's been since the ECAC produced champions.
                            Here we come!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                              Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                              A lot of those games were in the Leon Abbott & Jim Salfi eras... says a lot about how long it's been since the ECAC produced champions.
                              We were literally a couple of weeks away from having the aughts be the first full decade in program history without having faced a reigning national champion.
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: RPI III: Revenge of the Seth

                                Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                                We were literally a couple of weeks away from having the aughts be the first full decade in program history without having faced a reigning national champion.
                                That's more a criticism of the ECAC than RPI.
                                sigpic

                                Let's Go 'Tute!

                                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                                2012 Poser Of The Year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X