Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Berenson Retirement Watch

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
    Please. I'm not a troll, I've been a Michigan hockey fan since 1995. It's my view that the coaching staff is responsible for recruiting players who will be willing to put in the work and to continue to motivate them - on that part seemingly we can agree. You think that a player like Mike Legg didn't need to be pushed and prodded when he was at Michigan? I'm actually a big Berenson fan, I just think it's time.
    No, you are not a troll. People that perpetually post crap about "retirement watch" and "contract expiring" are like stopped clocks. Sooner or later the time will be correct (at least twice a day) and they will go "aha, I was right".

Every team has a few kids that for whatever reason can't be motivated at the collegiate level then leave for what they think are greener pastures and ride buses for the next ten years. It is not a coaching issue and I refuse to accept that mentality. I can't even agree that the coaching staff "knows" this when they recruit these kids. They change after being in the program-some grow others regress. Comparing young men from 15-20 years ago isn't even the same as the mentality of the athlete today. I look at Berenson and don't see one difference in how he ran his program then and now. Sooner or later fans need to understand that it isn't just x's and o's- and that the responsibility is on the athlete to balance the rigors of D1 academics, athletics and social interaction.

Comment

In my opinion, Mel Pearson was doing the duty of the HC and Red was plaing the role of "The Statesman. Billy & Mel did the foot work recruiting and brought the prospects to Yost to close the deal. This situation
      was greatly enhanced by having the USA Hockey training facility right down the street. A big dropoff was experienced while Mel continued his training to replace Red by being the HC of Michigan Tech for a few years.
      The time is nearing for Mel to replace Red (seamlessly).

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
        In my opinion, Mel Pearson was doing the duty of the HC and Red was plaing the role of "The Statesman. Billy & Mel did the foot work recruiting and brought the prospects to Yost to close the deal. This situation
        was greatly enhanced by having the USA Hockey training facility right down the street. A big dropoff was experienced while Mel continued his training to replace Red by being the HC of Michigan Tech for a few years.
        The time is nearing for Mel to replace Red (seamlessly).
        Did the increase in early departures caused by the latest NHL CBA have anything to do with it?

Comment

I think at Mel's age, his only drive is to achieve the most for Michigan Tech.
          A WCHA title, tourney berths, all progressing to a shot at a national championship in the next 4-8 years is all that is on the radar.
          I will be really surprised if Michigan gets him back.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony
            I would be surprised if MTU will be able to renew his contract after his five year contract ends in a couple of years.
            Why? If he's not offered the Michigan job, why would it be hard for Tech to retain him? They've given him everything he's asked for.

Comment

But can they maintain to get the alumni money when the five year contract is up. I have my doubts.
              Why is that? I really doubt you've actually talked to any of the money people at Tech...or the AD...or the coach...or anyone who would actually know anything. Mel may well be the front runner to replace Red. Then again, he may not. But whatever the case, I'm certain that Michigan will have a strong pool of very qualified individuals to choose from. Maybe they could even top State and get Fred Pletsch.

Comment

But can they maintain to get the alumni money when the five year contract is up. I have my doubts.
                I went to the Tech series this year, and they just got a million dollar video board. It's beautiful! There is no shortage of money at MTU for hockey and there never will be!
                http://livingwithinsects.files.wordp.../midge-001.png

Comment

It could be this one.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    or more accurately... this one
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Yes they spent the donation on the video board not the coach.
                      Is that a fact? Please cite your source.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Fricker, You've argued that logic for years. Partially correct on the first point and not even that close on the second.

Billy and Mel did the recruiting, (Now Brian) true, but Berenson visits high profile prospects and still scouts.

Michigan's only advantage with the USA program is proximity to Yost. Most of those kids already have a bead on where they are ending up and Michigan has no greater "contact" advantage than any other school.

Like I said before, keep propagating until it happens, then you guys can all call yourselves geniuses for stating the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                          Did the increase in early departures caused by the latest NHL CBA have anything to do with it?
                          That is a problem for all profile NCAA hockey programs. You are fighting to get the talent to commit, stay committed when the CHL drafts these kids and then stay longer than 2 years if they do end up in the NCAA. I don't see how that is a problem created by a certain coach. Berenson has always been honest if he thinks a kid is ready to go on, like he was with Trouba.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            That is a problem for all profile NCAA hockey programs. You are fighting to get the talent to commit, stay committed when the CHL drafts these kids and then stay longer than 2 years if they do end up in the NCAA. I don't see how that is a problem created by a certain coach. Berenson has always been honest if he thinks a kid is ready to go on, like he was with Trouba.
                            Red has also been one of the best at retaining players. But in the past few years, since the current NHL CBA, not only UM, but all of college hockey has seen more players leaving early. It just so happens that UM has a lot of players the pros want.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I'll take "Thread Titles We Should Have Seen Twenty Years Ago" for $400, Alex

Comment

Mike Babcock says not worried about negotiating for extension, will either remain coach of Red Wings or be assistant at U of M/ Berenson

— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) April 29, 2014

Finally hearing what I've been speculating on this board for a long time.
                                ---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X