Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate...Postseason Thread...Youth Is Served

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
    FINALLY...a glimpse of the new arena and a time frame for construction! Should have known it would be hidden under 'facilities' and not the main sports page where it belongs! If they want money to be contributed, why not flaunt it?! This is long, long overdue. Kudos to Colgate. Not only do I hope administration, staff, players, students and fans enjoy the facility, but I hope other teams and coaches will be impressed as well. I am also impressed with the landscaping that seems to tie all of the facilities together. I was skeptical at first but stayed hopeful!
    I dunno.... I'm cautiously optimistic about the new facility, but a bit disappointed at what I'm seeing so far. For one: why only c.2100 seating for hockey. Capacity should be +200-300. At this point I'm from MO: show me more.
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
      I dunno.... I'm cautiously optimistic about the new facility, but a bit disappointed at what I'm seeing so far. For one: why only c.2100 seating for hockey. Capacity should be +200-300. At this point I'm from MO: show me more.
      What is the present capacity, and how full is it during the year? Discounting the Cornell game, of course. I'm sure that was included in the decision on how large to build the rink. In addition, do the designs include a standing room rail? That would bring the extra capacity you are looking for.

Where I am disappointed is that I have yet to see a design for the new rink. I expected to see one at last year's match between our two colleges, even if it were off to one side in the lobby, or in the track around the ice near the historical cases. Is there a site, similar to what Penn State had when they were building, that would allow us to see renderings and/or progress (once they break ground)?

Comment

Present capacity I believe is 2246, I would guess we averaged about 1500-1600 last year. With the expectations of this years team I bet the attendance will be much higher and there will be more than one sellout(Cornell). Finishing #12 in the country with seventeen frosh and sophomores last year has me believing we will be a top three ECAC team this year.

It is going to be very difficult to "fly under the radar" this year. When the team is ranked I see many people start to show up from the Utica-Rome-Syracuse areas, everyone loves a winner.

Colgate used to sellout Clarkson, Cornell and Harvard back in the 80's and 90's, the rink held 2600+ and I have seen 3000 people at Starr. In 1990 Harvard drew over 3000 and the PA announcer told us during the first period that if you left the rink at intermission you may not get back in even with a ticket. I remember sellouts against Vermont(Martin St Louis,Tim Thomas etc, the home NCAA playoff quarters against Lake Superior State, Gordie Howe was even in the pressbox.

After our 1990 season Colgate ruined the rink. Four hundred LESS seats, stupid seating arrangements on the student side etc. Please I hope they get it right this time, the drawings look very nice but 2170 seats ?

They at least need standing room with a railing, that would allow maybe 300-400 extra fannies. What scares me is that the gestapo currently doesn't even allow you to stand even if your seat is on a railing . I can see them making you sit down with no SRO, that to me is absurd and I hope I am wrong ! I was hoping for 2500-2600 seats plus railing to watch from. Some people I know would rather stand and watch, it's a great view.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I agree that it needs to be bigger. I am not saying that we will fill it every night but it would allow the program to grow and get bigger. Is the Colgate team ever going to fill a 10,000 seat arena no, but 3-4000 would be nice.

I agree with Shabby, standing up during the game is great, have done it for years on the top row of the GA side and it is enjoyable. I only use the bleachers during the intermission

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
            I agree that it needs to be bigger. I am not saying that we will fill it every night but it would allow the program to grow and get bigger. Is the Colgate team ever going to fill a 10,000 seat arena no, but 3-4000 would be nice.

I agree with Shabby, standing up during the game is great, have done it for years on the top row of the GA side and it is enjoyable. I only use the bleachers during the intermission
            Have to agree with red exactly. I'm beating a dead horse, but 2400-2600 would be a nice rink + SR and rail. I'm in agreement with the philosophy that the program should grow; we will want those extra 200-400 seats. When you see the team that we are going to have back this season, you can begin to dream that maybe Gate will be on a roll for several years to come, build up the program to new heights, and start to draw more folks from the 'Cuse-Utica-Rome-Binghamton areas, as shabby stated. It's not so far fetched to think that way, based on the long history of the program. Despite down stretches, there have been some up years where we have drawn quite well.

Comment

I'm with you Bill. Don't understand it. Were there great differences in DV's and BD's hockey philosophies? That's the only thing I can think of. Moving to P'ton is a step down IMHO. Here's a Gate alum going to the Ivy Lg?? Go figure...
              RUMOR has it Lefevre and Dexter had problems with each other, all I know.

Comment

Mike Harder was named today as the full time assistant coach. This is great news and a logical choice. I'm looking forward to having him on the staff; bodes well for the present and the future. Couldn't pick a better guy.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/ecac...ach-don-vaughn

Harder promoted
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Now Lefevre will be mad, hope not. SBNation says we are the clear preseason ECAC favorites, wow, bullseye on our back.

Comment

Football tailgating is back behind the bleachers on the visiting side(where we've sat forever} Happy !! Also it's starting at 10 am now instead of 11 am.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        Football tailgating is back behind the bleachers on the visiting side(where we've sat forever} Happy !! Also it's starting at 10 am now instead of 11 am.
                        Sitting on the visiting side Despite the sun, ya gotta sit in the Dunlap Stands

Comment

Sitting on the visiting side Despite the sun, ya gotta sit in the Dunlap Stands

It used to be the home side where we sit. Sat there for 50+ years, can't change. The sun is always at our backs too.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            It used to be the home side where we sit. Sat there for 50+ years, can't change. The sun is always at our backs too.
                            Now it's coming back to me: I sat there too, during undergrad days. That's right it was always the home side! How dumb am I? (...perhaps I had too many Gennys and didn't notice)

Comment

Almost time for the new thread, kinda surprised there's not much banter here with the talent we have coming back.

Comment

One week to football, 43 days to hockey ! C'mon people !

Comment

Working...
                                X