No announcement yet.

RPI Recruit Thread 2013-14 (Part III)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2013-14 (Part III)

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    We have only had three 1-3 round choices in history -- Hejna, Murley, and Pirri. We only lost one of those.
    Well-that is 33% and that was after only 1 year in Troy. I don't mind as much losing a boy after 3 productive years. But i actually consider it wasting a scholarship if someone gets a free ride for 1 year and then chooses to just leave. Just MHO
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I think the answer is "it depends". If one improves in college they are better off being a free agent (e.g. Tapper and Haggerty). Also not being drafted can be a motivating factor in college.
      It certainly did work for Brad-and it remains to be seen if it does for Ryan.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

USHL tryout camp dates.

Code:
        Cho          Lincoln        06/12-06/15
        Dillon       Tri-City       06/15-06/18
        Fornaris     Cedar Rapids   05/29-06/01
        Hayhurst     Cedar Rapids   05/29-06/01
        Manley       Waterloo
        Prapavessis  Lincoln        06/12-06/15
        Rodriguez    Sioux City     05/30-06/01
        I couldn't find Waterloo's dates, and the USHL website, which appears to have a complete list, is down.
        Looos Fornaris ‏@CarlosFornaris 5h
        CR bound. See yah tomorrow kid.......... No indications on Hayhurst.........Looks like Manley is on his way for Waterloo’s camp also.
        Last edited by turk181; 05-28-2014, 11:06 AM.
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          .......... No indications on Hayhurst.........
          But he was named a top forward prospect by the OHA and MP was named a top dman prospect http://ojhl.pointstreaksites.com/vie...21/news_151669.

OHA TOP PROSPECT Defenseman – Michael Prapavessis (Toronto Lakeshore Patriots)
          Michael Prapavessis was a key member of the OJHL Champion Toronto Lakeshore Patriots this season. A stable defenceman on the back end for his club, the Oakville native provided a calming style of play when his team needed him the most. With 55 points (5 goals, 50 assists) in the regular season, Michael was a unanimous decision for the OJHL Top Defenceman Award. His style of play also earned him OJHL Most Gentlemanly Player. Selected to the OJHL’s 1st Team All-Star as well as the 1st Team All-Prospect lines, Michael was also a member of Team Canada East at the World Junior A Challenge where he scored two assists. Previously drafted by the OHL’s Saginaw Spirit, Prapavessis chose to commit to RPI and is ranked 108th among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting’s final rankings for the 2014 NHL Draft.
          OHA TOP PROSPECT Forward – Jacob Hayhurst (Toronto Lakeshore Patriots)
          Jacob Hayhurst is a speedy forward playing on the OJHL Champion Toronto Lakeshore Patriots. The native of Mississauga certainly stepped his game up in the last half of the season. He recorded 13 goals and 32 points in 48 regular season games played and recently committed to join Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in 2015.

Those are mixed honors from our point of view.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-29-2014, 01:17 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Fornaris going to CR camp is certainly an indication that he is not going to be in Troy in the fall.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I wonder why I didn't find this before from a Kingston Frontenac's prospect article http://thescout.ca/web/index.php/928...ton-frontenacs

Sleeper
              Jacob Hayhurst - Left Wing - Mississauga Rebels- 5'9" 155 - 1/20/97
              Acquired:GP - 24 G - 15 A - 17 P - 32
              Stats: 2013 OHL draft, 10th round, 183rd Overall
              Quick footed forward who brings a real high pace to the game. Agile and mobile. Plays the game with a high pace, has the ability to quickly move in and out of traffic as he attempts to gain the offensive blue line. Tempts and taunts with the puck. Draws a defender in by leaving the puck out while then using his speed and quick feet to either dart past him or to fire a sizzling tape to tape pass. Sees the ice well, makes quick decisions and can make a quick tough pass or a more dramatic saucer pass. Size and strength will be areas to monitor. Struggles to maintain puck possession as he is engaged. Not effective in the dirty pockets of the ice. Has consistency issues, can look like a star one game while failing to make an impact the next. Development will be keyed on his ability to gain strength and play a harder, more complete game. Has an interesting upside based on his unique skill set, and could one day be slotted among the top 6 of a team challenging for a title.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I wonder why I didn't find this before from a Kingston Frontenac's prospect article http://thescout.ca/web/index.php/928...ton-frontenacs
                wonder what the writer’s (if it wasn’t Sean Lafortune) opinion is this year as that article was written in Aug. of 2013
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  wonder what the writer’s (if it wasn’t Sean Lafortune) opinion is this year as that article was written in Aug. of 2013
                  Since I actually watched him in four games, I would say my opinion is similar. "can look like a star one game while failing to make an impact the next" describes most everyone. The statement in post #634 that he improved as the season progressed is certainly good.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

From the RPI directory (added today)

Name: Michael James Prapavessis
                    Class: First-Year Student
                    Curriculum: Business and Management

In the directory:
                    Dmen: Bell, Manley, Moore, Prapavessis, Wilson
                    Forwards: Gillespie, Melanson, Nanne
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I decided to give my take on who is likely to arrive in the fall based purely upon what I have found out on the Net.

Goalies:
                      Dillon is unlikely to arrive until 2015 unless Kasdorf leaves or doesn't recover. Give it a 15% chance.

Forwards:
                      Gillespie 99% chance he is coming. (He could get some fatal disease or ...)
                      Melanson 98% chance. (As opposed to Gillespie he has junior eligibility left.)
                      Nanne 95% chance. (He didn't have a great season in the USHL, but I suspect he is continuing to heal from his injuries.)
                      Tironese 80% chance. (He committed two years ago and has not yet shown up in the directory. Is he having some trouble getting through admissions? I don't know, but until he shows up there, it's 75 - 80 %. He will go up to the high 90's when he is in the directory.)
                      Liljegren 60% chance. (It was written that he was a 2014 or 2015, and he isn't in the directory yet.)
                      Rodriguez 35% chance. (The fact that he committed on the same day as Haggerty bailed out, I originally thought made him likely to come in 2014. Those odds are slowly decreasing.)
                      Fornaris 25% chance. (He needs more seasoning, but still could arrive in the fall.)
                      Burgess 5% chance. (Never said he would be here this fall, but he is old enough so could be a fall back if some of the above have troubles.)
                      Hayhurst <1% chance. (He is still an HS junior.)

Defensemen:
                      Wilson 99% chance. (Everything points to him arriving this fall.)
                      Moore 90% chance. (He didn't have a great year in the USHL, but as WaP wrote this was probably [hopefully] due to the situation he was in at Fargo.)
                      Prapavessis 55% chance. (WaP said it well. One couldn't ask for a better season than he had this year. He could improve if he goes to Lincoln and I suspect they are kicking themselves for not taking him a year ago. If he gets drafted by the NHL, we may have to take him to keep him from major junior, and I suspect he will be a regular on the blue line at the HFH as the season progresses. He would also become also essentially a sure thing to be in Troy this fall of one of our returning dmen turns pro.)
                      Bell 20% chance. (His injury set him back quite a bit, and he needs seasoning against better competition somewhere.)
                      Manley 10% chance. (He could come but he needs another year to develop. The odds that he would be here this fall would also be higher if he was not #5 on this list.)
                      Cho <1% chance. (He is still an HS junior.)
                      Make Fornaris 15% and Prapavessis 75%.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Hayhurst is not in camp as of today

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
                          ....thanks herby. Been following your tweets from this afternoon from Rider Camp and didn’t see anything about Hayhurst being there. Appreciate any news you get.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had the feeling that he probably wants to complete High School up on Canada, and assuming he remains on CR's protected list, you are likely to see him in Cedar Rapids in 2015. OTOH just attending camp would have been a good experience.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI scout in CR tonight..assume watching Fornaris. Carlos looked good very creative with the puck

Comment

RPI scout in CR tonight..assume watching Fornaris. Carlos looked good very creative with the puck
                                I would think that he was there to watch Fornaris, but undoubtedly he was looking at others also.

I am hoping to see significant improvement from CF next season and a spot on one of the top two lines. (Also fewer suspensions would be nice. )
                                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X