Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    .......along with a very inexperienced group of D-men in front of the net.

Good thing you have the best coach in college hockey to help paper over the holes in the line-up.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Good thing you have the best coach in college hockey to help paper over the holes in the line-up.
      Ouch that hurts . Hey no one on this board is kidding themselves about the type of season we expect Casey or no Casey. Like it or not these are the cards on the table and I plan on making the most of it (famous last words). Drop the puck! We might just surprise ourselves...stranger things have happened
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

If DeSmith is not on the roster, the starting job, in all likelihood, is Adam Clark's to lose. An article on Clark will be posted soon on the blog. Also, wouldn't be surprised to see Danny Tirone enrolling early - possibly for the second semester. He was impressive in his rookie season with Cedar Rapids (USHL). Played in 2/3 of Rough Rider's regular season games and all 4 playoff games. The Rough Rider's backup goalie was Chris Birdsall, a BC recruit. At the end of the season, Cedar Rapids traded Birdsall to the Youngstown Phantoms. Obviously, Cedar Rapids is counting on Tirone being their starting goalie - as herbts20 exclaimed ;-). Tirone turned 20 in June. Adam Clark is 21 and 1/2.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

As much as I like Casey, was excited to see him play his senior season, wish for a do over/reset button and recognize that for a few games at a time he could be the best goalie in college hockey, his body of work at UNH is that of a very good, not yet great goaltender. Unfortunately he won't have this season to improve on that, but right now we're not talking Conklin, Matile, Ayers or Kevin Regan.

We have a month to prepare. Unlike the Digi situation there is no Senior being given time to (not) come out of his funk resulting in lost, in more than one way, games. Regan's pre-UNH statistics are decent and Clark? Well.... he's 6' 5" 220 lbs. Perhaps one shines early and is given the job or we have a healthy competitive rotation, always fun to watch.

Pesce is the real deal, Maller looked good last year, Cleland and Quast both improved as the season progressed. We'll need younger D-men, like last year Freshman not red shirted Sophomores, to step up, but when isn't that the case? Hopefully they progress quickly so we don't repeat last year's blue line playing time minute imbalance.

One of the news reports referenced Jamie being Kevin's younger brother. Is that true? Did their parents move to OH?
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            If DeSmith is not on the roster, the starting job, in all likelihood, is Adam Clark's to lose. An article on Clark will be posted soon on the blog. Also, wouldn't be surprised to see Danny Tirone enrolling early - possibly for the second semester. He was impressive in his rookie season with Cedar Rapids (USHL). Played in 2/3 of Rough Rider's regular season games and all 4 playoff games. The Rough Rider's backup goalie was Chris Birdsall, a BC recruit. At the end of the season, Cedar Rapids traded Birdsall to the Youngstown Phantoms. Obviously, Cedar Rapids is counting on Tirone being their starting goalie - as herbts20 exclaimed ;-). Tirone turned 20 in June. Adam Clark is 21 and 1/2.
            Looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Have we done this (second semester) before? It doesn't fit the typical academic program for Freshman who complete 2 semesters then remain in Durham for the summer between Freshman and Sophomore years.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Have we done this (second semester) before? It doesn't fit the typical academic program for Freshman who complete 2 semesters then remain in Durham for the summer between Freshman and Sophomore years.
                Its not at all comparable to the current situation, but Sean Matile was not eligible to play until the second semester of the 96-97 season. Again, that was nothing like the current situation, I believe it had to with transfer regs and (perhaps Major Junior stuff?) And he had been with the team long before he started playing the second semester. That is the last time I remember a goaltender starting play mid-season.

I have been thinking about the timing of all this, whether Tirone could play the second half of the season, and was wondering how it might impact team chemistry and such. Not to mention how it might impact the respective psyches of the goalies already on the team. Not an enviable position for the coaching staff.
                Last edited by Felger; 09-05-2014, 10:45 AM.
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                  Its not at all comparable to the current situation, but Sean Matile was not eligible to play until the second semester of the 96-97 season. Again, that was nothing like the current situation, I believe it had to with transfer regs and (perhaps Major Junior stuff?) And he had been with the team long before he started playing the second semester. That is the last time I remember a goaltender starting play mid-season.

I have been thinking about the timing of all this, whether Tirone could play the second half of the season, and was wondering how it might impact team chemistry and such. Not to mention how it might impact the respective psyches of the goalies already on the team. Not an enviable position for the coaching staff.

I think team chemistry is in question already, the DeSmith incident has already disrupted the locker room. I think Regan knows his role on the team, as must guys in the 3rd spot do, and if possible you let Clark and Tirone split time/battle for the lead role. I think we will be ok, we have been ok with less in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
                    Umile has never done this before (as noted, Matile had been with the team the prior season, but missed the first 10 games in the 96-97 season because he was ineligible). Umile doesn't strike me as the type to change 25 years into his career.
                    Not with a goalie but didn't we just last year get a D-man for second semester after TVR broke his leg first semester - or am I loosing my mind.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      First time that I can recall anyone on any of our threads agreeing with Hoky.

did I tell you guys that unh blew it with Vechionne

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        Not with a goalie but didn't we just last year get a D-man for second semester after TVR broke his leg first semester - or am I loosing my mind.
                        Pretty close with Dylan Maller. He was already enrolled, took the fall semester off to deal with his brother's death.

http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/20...f-tragedy.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                          Are you saying that had he come to UNH he could now move to goaltender to cover for Casey?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            Are you saying that had he come to UNH he could now move to goaltender to cover for Casey?
                            yes
                            he could use his natl championship ring, all ecac rookie team tropht, ecac championship ring and rookie of the year trophy to block the net

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              You did. You also said a hockey east team would pick him up to play in '12-'13. Turned out nobody else in D1 thought he was ready either. UNH coaches were correct in their assessment. Worked out for him, except of course he didn't get to play that year, which was why he bolted. He ended up on a better team. All hail Hokey!
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                                yes
                                he could use his natl championship ring, all ecac rookie team tropht, ecac championship ring and rookie of the year trophy to block the net
                                Or we could just use the poster of him you have plastered above your bed to block the net. I'm assuming it's at least the size of the net. Might have to crop it.
                                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Working...
                                X