Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2009-2010: Calmly Step Away from the Ledge

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Nevertheless, if they can come out tonight with renewed vigor, intensity, and a team effort they may even make a series out of this. Even though it's still a long shot there's still a small sliver of hope. But looking at some of the negative posts, there's not too many foolhardy Gopher fans that want to join me. C'mon Gopher fans!
    I will still watch and be rooting for them like always but the results lately in big games have been painful to say the least.

It's sad to think this could be there last game until October.
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
      I will still watch and be rooting for them like always but the results lately in big games have been painful to say the least.

It's sad to think this could be there last game until October.
      Well let's hope for the best, Driftryder. And if it happens to be another poor showing, I must admit I will mostly feel bad for the players that did put their heart and soul into it. Yeah they've crapped their pants plenty this season but they're still my Gopher team, I can't disown them.
      Last edited by HarleyMC; 03-13-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I was surprised that Schroeder's play was not more dynamic in a high profile rivalry series like this.
        I said last night during chat that I thought Cade Fairchild was the bust of the year. Really, what has he done? Nothing.

I was lambasted for it because everyone figures Jordan Schroeder is the bust of the year. And who can argue? Jordan Schroeder has modeled himself after Kyle Okposo. The only thing he didn't do was leave.

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
        Historical context: the last time MN had more than three consecutive mediocre seasons (near or below .500) was in the late '40s-early '50s. If next season is anything like the last three, we'll be witnessing a low point not seen in many of our lifetimes.
        And there is no reason to believe it won't happen. Just think my dad was about 6, 7 years old then.

Wow.
        Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 03-13-2010, 10:19 AM.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          I said last night during chat that I thought Cade Fairchild was the bust of the year. Really, what has he done? Nothing.

I was lambasted for it because everyone figures Jordan Schroeder is the bust of the year. And who can argue? Jordan Schroeder has modeled himself after Kyle Okposo. The only thing he didn't do was leave.
          Well I won't lambaste you for it. Both of these players were expected to be potential Hobey Baker and POTY candidates before the season started. And it all went wrong...very sad.

Comment

This is shaping up to be the battle royal that I expected. Good to see Seth Helgeson get on the board. Knowing Seth, I'm sure he's probably still shocked that his first goal was the GWG in a big win like this. Tonight they need to have their jump in the first period, get more pucks on net and get that important first goal. I think the PP for either team will play a big role again in deciding the outcome in a rivalry/one game series like this. And without a doubt we NEED a stellar Kangas Khan performance tonight. If the Gophs can come out with the same tenacity, we just might see 2008 all over again. Go Gophers!

Comment

This is shaping up to be the battle royal that I expected. Good to see Seth Helgeson get on the board. Knowing Seth, I'm sure he's probably still shocked that his first goal was the GWG in a big win like this. Tonight they need to have their jump in the first period, get more pucks on net and get that important first goal. I think the PP for either team will play a big role again in deciding the outcome in a rivalry/one game series like this. And without a doubt we NEED a stellar Kangas Khan performance tonight. If the Gophs can come out with the same tenacity, we just might see 2008 all over again. Go Gophers!
              What you said.
              Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

But looking at some of the negative posts, there's not too many foolhardy Gopher fans that want to join me. C'mon Gopher fans!
                I figure by putting the expectation bar underground, the team can only surprise me in a positive way from here on out.

Win or lose, I want to see the same effort and desperation out of them tonight. I don't understand why they couldn't have brought that Friday but whatever. Sports psychologists would have a field day examining this group.

Comment

Sports psychologists would have a field day examining this group.
                  You hit the target on that one, Bak.

Comment

I figure by putting the expectation bar underground, the team can only surprise me in a positive way from here on out.

Win or lose, I want to see the same effort and desperation out of them tonight. I don't understand why they couldn't have brought that Friday but whatever. Sports psychologists would have a field day examining this group.
                    If we see the same effort tonight I'll be happy no matter the outcome. Given the shot totals from last night Kangas effectively stole the game. These two games are a microcosm of the entire season. Friday they showed their give up side which has been prominent. Saturday they showed the only way they can win games, scoring from unlucky places and stopping the other team either in net or on the defense.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Bjugstad is Mr. Hockey & Alt decides on hockey over football. Congrats to both players.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

*Rumor*

After next Gophers loss Don Lucia will be let go. Now we wait to see if my source is correct.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          *Rumor*

After next Gophers loss Don Lucia will be let go. Now we wait to see if my source is correct.
                          Hope you are right, just don't see it happening though. How can Maturi justify extending Brewster and than fire Lucia?

Comment

For next year.... FSN should use the alternate channel more often rather than the stupid tape delay bs.....
                            Last edited by GopherBigGuy911; 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM.
                            - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                            Go you Green and White
                            Go Bemidji Beavers
                            Fight with all your might!
                            Rah! Rah! Rah!
                            We are here to cheer you
                            We are out to win your fame,
                            So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                            Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                              For next year.... FSN should use the alternate channel more often rather than the stupid tape delay bs.....
                              Word.

But they won't.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

The Gophers lost their jump in the opening period with three PPs for the Sioux in the first five minutes and then gave up that important first goal. As it turned out the PP was the difference with the Sioux getting 2 PP goals and one immediately after a penalty expired. I have to give credit to the Sioux as they fought hard and maintained tenacious play throughout and the Gophers even responded at times to match it.

From the pics I saw it appeared the Frattin hit was measured with intent to injure and should have been a game misconduct at the very least. IMO he deserves a suspension. But the five minute PP for the Gophers produced zilch in scoring opps which basically characterized what the Gophers have struggled to do all season...score goals.

And so ends another rollercoaster Gopher season of underachievement at the lowest point in Lucia's tenure. As a Ph.D. candidate in psychology, I wondered sometimes what assessment data might be revealed if I threw a few psychometric inventories at this schizophrenic team? I'm sure a lot of us Gopher fans have had our own share of mild psychosis too during this cockeyed season. But so goes the life of a loyal Gopher fan for the last three arduous seasons.

Will there be changes? I suspect a minor coaching change may take place, but in my view Don Lucia will most likely stay. The Gophers desperately need natural goal scorers, more offensive from their defense and above all, the intense desire and commitment to compete for a full 60 minutes consistently game after game, which was horribly lacking this season and ultimately led to their demise.

Comment

Working...
                                X